Who would want a form tool for re-profiling wheels?

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Andy W

Re: Who would want a form tool for re-profiling wheels?

Postby Andy W » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:12 pm

Thanks Terry, and well done for organising this. Andy
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
myoxall wrote:How is this progressing? Any idea when it may become available?

The order for the production batch was placed several weeks back and they are currently in production. No delivery date was given but I will ask about progress on Monday.

Excellent :thumb
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:50 pm

Just to let you all know.
The form tools have arrived. The price is £45 each, higher than the original quote but it is now double ended with a left or right hand cut and no front face cut, which were the points raised when using the prototype. Not tried them yet but will do so later this week. Be patient I have asked the webmaster to put in the online shop when he gets a chance.
IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6709.JPG
IMG_6708.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:Just to let you all know.
The form tools have arrived. The price is £45 each, higher than the original quote but it is now double ended with a left or right hand cut and no front face cut, which were the points raised when using the prototype. Not tried them yet but will do so later this week. Be patient I have asked the webmaster to put in the online shop when he gets a chance.

Thanks Jeremy.

Now live in the Stores. Item code S4FT, which is under Misc products (scroll down the page and it is there).

Cheers,
Alastair

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:35 pm

When item is clicked and then “ please create an order” the form is empty.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:44 pm

I had that until I realised that I had to enter the number required in the box rather than just click on it. Then on to PayPal and done!

Philip

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Paul Townsend wrote:When item is clicked and then “ please create an order” the form is empty.

Hi Paul,

You just need to enter the number required in the box, it's not a tick-box. So just enter 1 and the order will be created - all the stores items work in that way.

[Edit] Thanks Philip for confirming this too :)

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:48 pm

Sorry, mea culpa.
Not having ordered for 2 years I forgot.

bevis

Postby bevis » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:58 pm

Impressed as ever by the service. Ordered yesterday, arrived safely today. Many thanks.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:55 pm

This is probably common knowledge, but with regards to re-profiling Romford wheels, it appears that 247 Developments are marketing a "Romford P4 axle plus nuts"

https://www.247developments.co.uk/loco_detailing.html

Along with much other useful stuff!

Steve

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:32 pm

Oh how did I miss the form tool being released? Waiting for pay day...
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:08 am

I plan to order mine after the Christmas rush given the usual problems with international post at this time of year. But that aside, has anyone taken their's for a test drive yet?

Cheers,

David

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:00 pm

Had a little tinker with mine on some RTR Bachmann J72 wheelsets.

Bachmann have made the wheels with an non prototypical dish around the outside face of the circumference/rim, much like the recessed rear face of the wheel that they have nearly always manufactured. (For some reason Oxford Rail has also used a dished outer rim on their plastic/metal composite drivers on their J27).
Removing 0.7mm from the outside face of the Bachmann rim and 0.3mm from the rear allows the existing flange to be reduced with the form tool, whilst keeping it's position in relation the the outside wheel face correct.

Photograph probably explains it better.

J72Bmann2020-Rel-040-EditSm© PwD.jpg

P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:25 am

Interesting

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:26 pm

Mine arrived this morning. Thanks to all who made it possible.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:12 pm

Porcy Mane wrote:...Bachmann have made the wheels with an non prototypical dish around the outside face of the circumference/rim, much like the recessed rear face of the wheel that they have nearly always manufactured. (For some reason Oxford Rail has also used a dished outer rim on their plastic/metal composite drivers on their J27).
Removing 0.7mm from the outside face of the Bachmann rim and 0.3mm from the rear allows the existing flange to be reduced with the form tool, whilst keeping it's position in relation the the outside wheel face correct.

In a way that looks more helpful to P4 modellers, since you now don't need to throw the RTR wheels away when converting.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:36 pm

Would we be able to have a step - by - step guide to setting up and using the tool for the benefit of us rookie lathe users?

Steve

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:17 pm

I looked through this thread and found that the tool has a 6mm shank. But what was the final decision on material? Sort of assuming its HSS based on cost, but it would be good to confirm that.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:26 pm

steve howe wrote:Would we be able to have a step - by - step guide to setting up and using the tool for the benefit of us rookie lathe users?

Jeremy's post today on the thread entitled Tips and tricks in machine tool practice should help. There is a school of thought that this job may not be appropriate for the complete novice but of course one way to learn is to try. Using some scrap OO wheels, including wagon wheels is a good way to start before tacking the expensive loco wheels.

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:34 pm

garethashenden wrote:But what was the final decision on material?

No special reason. High speed steel seemed to be the logical material to use. Fairly easy to obtain, although current supply difficulties did cause a delay. HSS can be sharpened if required although that is nor recommended since you may change the tool profile. The tool was produced using the wire erosion process which would no doubt work on other materials.

If really necessary an oilstone could be used on the top surface to remove any slight bluntness but if it is used as Jeremy describes in his thread for the final finishing profile sharpening should not be needed for a long time.

Terry Bendall

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:26 pm

Would it be asking too much of this tool to profile steel rims?

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:28 pm

Crepello wrote:Would it be asking too much of this tool to profile steel rims?

Shouldn’t be. As long as you’re not being overly aggressive with the feed rates. Bit of oil helps too.

Stephan.wintner

Postby Stephan.wintner » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:28 am

Terry, I've also been thinking a stone on the flat side should help restore the edge. What grade/ grit would you suggest? My woodworking tools are usually sharpened in steps 1k - 6k -10k. Thoughts?

Stephan

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:09 am

garethashenden wrote:Crepello wrote:
Would it be asking too much of this tool to profile steel rims?

Shouldn’t be. As long as you’re not being overly aggressive with the feed rates. Bit of oil helps too

I agree with both comments. When making the final cut you are usually cutting across the whole with of the tool. This can cause vibration indicated by excessive noise known as "chatter" which can result in an uneven surface on the work piece. Some cutting oil, also sometimes called soluble oil is always useful when machining steel.

Stephan.wintner wrote:Terry, I've also been thinking a stone on the flat side should help restore the edge. What grade/ grit would you suggest? My woodworking tools are usually sharpened in steps 1k - 6k -10k. Thoughts?

Yes an oilstone will certainly do that. I always use an oilstone to put a final edge on a lathe tool made from high steed steel or high carbon steel after grinding although it will not work on tungsten tipped tools. I have a very old ((55 years) carborundum oil stone for sharpening of woodworking tools which is of one grade only and that works for me. For lathe tools I have a very small fine carbourundum stone of the same vintage measuring 3 inches x 1 inch by 1/2 inch which I use for lathe tools. For this application I don't think different grades of sharpening stones are needed.

Terry Bendall

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:07 am

Brilliant service as always from Jeremy at the Stores. Order placed Wednesday and delivered before Christmas.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “New Products”