New 4mm Scale Deltic from Accurascale

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Crepello

Re: New 4mm Scale Deltic from Accurascale

Postby Crepello » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 am

Le Corbusier wrote:probably a naive question ... but aren't there any facsimiles of the original shop drawings available?

There were, at Derby RTC, but no longer accessible outside the rail industry. There are indications that (N)RM has some, which are accessible, but they aren't catalogued at the per-sheet level.

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:02 pm

As I understand it there are 6 locomotives from this class in preservation.

If any dimensions are being questioned, is it not possible to take direct measurements from the real thing?

(In any event, there have been occasions where the actual locomotive didn't precisely follow the works drawings.)

Ian

Patrick

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:24 pm

meld wrote:Doesn't your photo prove my point? taking into account the different persepctives, the top of the nose grille on the cad is definitely lower than the top of the actual nose grille. the shoulder grilles also seem to be too low in comparison.

Hi Meld,

I've been forwarded this response from our design team:

Many thanks for your response. Regarding your queries, well yes and no, as we used an obsolete CAD render in error. With a multitude of updates that takes place in the design process it is an easy mistake to make, apologies for that.

When we measured the real locomotives last summer we were greeted with some pitfalls along the way. As I am sure you know, the DPS locos have been reskinned in preservation, and as a result, areas such as the nose grill has moved slightly as a result? Were we initially caught out by this? Yes. Thankfully we got the right experts on board to steer us in the right direction. We then decided to use prototype period photos as much as possible to rectify these placements.

As you can see below this is what we have done, and it shows the correct sized cab windows, the correct grill placement, and nose.

Regarding your query about your shoulder grills along the top, this will be etched, and it merely shows where the opening will be placed. The etch will form part of that bodyside structure, giving it extra height as well as more finesse and relief. You can see in the image below that these are also in the correct area on our model.

We welcome feedback and constructive critique of our proposed models and have received some excellent pointers on the Deltic since we showed the print and CAD at Warley. We found some of it very helpful and has aided us in the design process, while others were mistaken, relying on memory. We encourage people to engage with us, and if you feel there are errors the best way to point them out is by emailing us, as despite us covering as many forums as possible, we don’t get to see all the posts, so they can be missed by us, and an opportunity missed on getting a definitive model. You know your Deltics and spotted initial errors on our first draft CAD, but I hope your fears have been put to rest now you have seen that your concerns are addressed as per above. If there is anything else, give us a shout at info@accurascale.co.uk.

Thanks!

Patrick

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:probably a naive question ... but aren't there any facsimiles of the original shop drawings available?

IANATEXTON wrote:As I understand it there are 6 locomotives from this class in preservation.

If any dimensions are being questioned, is it not possible to take direct measurements from the real thing?

(In any event, there have been occasions where the actual locomotive didn't precisely follow the works drawings.)

Ian

Hi gents,

We surveyed two of the prototypes ('Alycidon' and 'Tulyar' at the DPS base at Barrow Hill) during the development phase. We also have drawings, but as another poster said, a lot can change between the drawing office and workshop floor so measurements from the prototype have priority. :)

meld

Postby meld » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 pm

That looks a lot better! I think that deltics were built pretty much to the drawings. IIRC, according to Ian Strange, author of Deltic De-Mythology, the only bit that is different from the drawings is the tail light casting.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Patrick, I must applaud you for going to such great lengths to get it right! I don’t even like diesels particularly, (not even the era of my modelling interests), but if you do one P4, I would probably buy one just for the halibut. It is quite the beast and watching you go through this process has given me a great deal of respect for your company.

Patrick

Postby Patrick » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying; thanks very much, folks!

Return to “New Products”