Accurascale 24.5t HOP24/HUO hoppers

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Patrick

Accurascale 24.5t HOP24/HUO hoppers

Postby Patrick » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:38 am

Hi everyone,

Paul Willis encouraged me to post here about this wagon when I was in contact with him just over a month ago, but I'm only getting the time to do so now! :)

For those of you who may not be familiar with us, Accurascale is a new entrant into the British-outline RTR market. The project is led by a team of four, including yours truly, and we also operate the Irish Railway Models brand.

Accurascale's first product is the BR 24.5t HOP24/HUO hopper, specifically the revised 1/148 pattern with roller bearing axles and long brake lever with offset V-hanger, as these accounted for the vast majority of the fleet.

We wanted to make it as simple as possible to convert these wagons to either P4 or EM and have been consulting with both Scalefour and the EM Gauge Society over several months. When the first EPs arrived, we sent one to Mike Ainsworth for appraisal and I believe his findings will make their way into the next edition of Scalefour News. However, in short, regauging is merely a case of popping out the OO gauge wheelsets and inserting P4 versions (I believe Mike used Gibsons). The one minor issue he encountered has been rectified with a minor re-tool of the brake shoes on the chassis mould.

We'll be making the HUOs available in both pre-TOPS and TOPS liveries, with pre-TOPS versions scheduled to arrive in May. Details of the TOPS versions will be announced shortly.

The wagons will be sold in packs of three and we are offering five packs as part of the main pre-TOPS run (a sixth pack has been jointly commissioned by Locomotion and Rails, and is available directly from those outlets). The packs are broken down by route markings (or lack thereof):

Pack A:
B333635 (route info blanked out)
B335009 (route info blanked out)
B335539N (route info blanked out)

Pack B:
B333897 (“LOAD ONLY TO STELLA NORTH OR SOUTH DUNSTON OR BLYTH POWER STATIONS”)
B334155 (“LOAD ONLY TO STELLA NORTH OR SOUTH DUNSTON OR BLYTH POWER STATIONS”)
B334160 (“LOAD ONLY TO STELLA NORTH OR SOUTH DUNSTON OR BLYTH POWER STATIONS”)

Pack C:
B334429 (route info blanked out)
B334438 ("LOAD ONLY TO KINCARDINE POWER STATION SC REGION")
B334548 ("LOAD ONLY TO KINCARDINE POWER STATION SC REGION")

Pack D:
B334949 (route info blanked out)
B335039 (route info blanked out)
B335703 (route info blanked out)

Pack E:
B336817 ("LOAD ONLY TO THORPE MARSH POWER STATION (YORKS) N.E.R.")
B336937 ("LOAD ONLY TO THORPE MARSH POWER STATION (YORKS) N.E.R.")
B337128N ("LOAD ONLY TO THORPE MARSH POWER STATION (YORKS) N.E.R.")

Each pack is available to purchase directly from Accurascale for £59.95 + P&P. We offer free shipping to the UK and Ireland for orders over £100. Additionally, we are offering a bundle comprising of packs A, B, C, D and E which can be purchased for £275.

Packs can be purchased online (https://accurascale.co.uk/product-category/wagons/) or from our stand at any of the exhibitions we'll be attending from the second half of 2018.

Finally, here are some photos of the first decoration samples, which arrived from the factory this week:

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Accurascale 24.5t HOP24/HUO hoppers

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:17 am

Patrick wrote:Hi everyone,

Paul Willis encouraged me to post here about this wagon when I was in contact with him just over a month ago, but I'm only getting the time to do so now! :)

For those of you who may not be familiar with us, Accurascale is a new entrant into the British-outline RTR market. The project is led by a team of four, including yours truly, and we also operate the Irish Railway Models brand.

Accurascale's first product is the BR 24.5t HOP24/HUO hopper, specifically the revised 1/148 pattern with roller bearing axles and long brake lever with offset V-hanger, as these accounted for the vast majority of the fleet.

We wanted to make it as simple as possible to convert these wagons to either P4 or EM and have been consulting with both Scalefour and the EM Gauge Society over several months. When the first EPs arrived, we sent one to Mike Ainsworth for appraisal and I believe his findings will make their way into the next edition of Scalefour News. However, in short, regauging is merely a case of popping out the OO gauge wheelsets and inserting P4 versions (I believe Mike used Gibsons). The one minor issue he encountered has been rectified with a minor re-tool of the brake shoes on the chassis mould.

I did indeed invite you at say a few words about what you and Accurascale are doing. And very welcome they are too.

Having seen the pre-production sample which Mike had converted at the last Society Committee meeting, it is very impressive. The conversion is indeed as straightforward as could be wished for.

On behalf of the Society, thank you very much for your commitment to finescale models, and to being open to speaking with us about what helps P4 modellers. It is very much appreciated, and something which very much marks Accurascale out as a forward-looking manufacturer.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Patrick

Postby Patrick » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 pm

Flymo748 wrote:I did indeed invite you at say a few words about what you and Accurascale are doing. And very welcome they are too.

Having seen the pre-production sample which Mike had converted at the last Society Committee meeting, it is very impressive. The conversion is indeed as straightforward as could be wished for.

On behalf of the Society, thank you very much for your commitment to finescale models, and to being open to speaking with us about what helps P4 modellers. It is very much appreciated, and something which very much marks Accurascale out as a forward-looking manufacturer.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman

Cheers, Paul.

Looking forward to continued co-operation with Scalefour in relation to P4-friendly RTR, especially as locomotives are just around the corner... :)

iak

Postby iak » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:55 pm

Now you are being very naughty... :shock:
Locomotives indeed? I need a wee lay down :o
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Patrick

Postby Patrick » Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Just a quick note to say that the pre-TOPS versions are currently in transit from China. In the meantime, we've opened the order book on the TOPS wagons and the Onllwyn internal user pack: https://accurascale.co.uk/product-category/wagons/

These versions are scheduled to arrive from the factory later this summer.

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 am

Hello,

I took delivery of a set of these wagons last week and was keen to look at the them in closer detail.

The supplied OO wheels come on pin-points 25mm long. The axles run in plastic 'bearing cups' that are moulded as part of the W-iron, you can actually see this below the hooded axle box bearing. Both Exactoscale and Alan Gibson P4 axles are 26mm long so some drilling is necessary, a few gentle turns with a 1.5mm drill bit soon gave us enough depth for the 26mm axle and had a free running wagon. Of course some pin-point brass bearings would be nice but for those looking at a quick conversion this is usually enough.

The brake shoes seem to come aligned for a broad gauge railway, even after installing the P4 wheels they are generously spaced out. You can tweak these back a little. The re-wheeled wagon tipped the scales at a mere 20g so some might wish to add some weight, there is space underneath the hopper moulding for some lead shot or small bits of lead flashing.

So a pretty simple conversion all in all. The hopper bodies are lovely mouldings.

Hopper underframe

20180813_081020.jpg

Exactoscale Wheels

20180813_081356.jpg

Alan Gibson Wheels

20180813_081509.jpg

Thanks,

Alastair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:35 am

Lovely....I wonder how easy a conversion to compensation or springing of some sort will be? From the photo of the underneath there would seem to be daylight inboard of the wheels looking from slightly above, which could make my favoured compensation a little tricky to totally conceal, on the compensated axle.

Must get some of these wagons and try it for myself...

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:53 am

Use the Dave Bradwell springing units. See my posts in "on my workbench".
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Use the Dave Bradwell springing units. See my posts in "on my workbench".

Hello. I did wonder about using those. The only issue with this approach is that you would obviously need a slot in the W-iron/bearing assembly to allow for room for the bearing to move up and down. The large circular plastic bearings (for want of a better term) leave no space for an etched bearing holder to fit with P4 wheels (see photos). You could try and remove the plastic here so there is nothing behind the W-iron.

20180814_172019.jpg

Alan Gibson wheel fitted

I'm pondering the next move with this but I think it might be easier to remove the plastic W-iron assembly and replace with some etched ones - there is no floor to work with so they might need to fixed directly to the solebars. You could then use a springing unit and some Rumney castings to replace the springs/axleboxes.

Open to suggestions and any more simple solutions.

Thanks, Alastair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Use the Dave Bradwell springing units. See my posts in "on my workbench".

I was struggling to find this. Actuality think you mean your "Dave Bradwell Springing units" thread on the Trains: Model and Prototype Wagons forum (click to follow the link), but yes, once found, this is definitely relevant.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi Alastair

Are you looking for a solution to a problem you don't have? A wagon of this wheelbase will be fine with no springing in my experience. Even more so with an open frame as it wont be all that rigid anyway

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:32 am

jim s-w wrote:Are you looking for a solution to a problem you don't have?

Quite. The reason for fitting springing or compensation is to help the vehicle stay on the track. If it doesn't fall off anyway then no extra work is needed. If is ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Fitting replacement axleboxes or cosmetic springs is of course another matter and that may be needed for aesthetic reasons.

Terry Bendall

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am

I only recently realised that these were used for stone traffic as well as coal. I have ordered some for the BR period on Ulpha. They certainly look great from the photos. It will be interesting to hear how everyone gets on with them. My initial thought (hope!) was that we ought to be able to get away with just replacing the wheels, as Jim and Terry suggest. My worry is that with such an open chassis, alterations to provide springing or compensation might be very visible and detract from the model.

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 am

Armchair Modeller wrote: I have ordered some for the BR period on Ulpha.

Their axle loading, at full rated load, which could easily be exceeded if carrying stone rather than coal, was around 17/17.5 tons, with total weight around 34/35 tons. There were light railways which were built or upgraded to cope with such loads, the Corringham for example, but they were pretty rare. A line like the Ulpha would probably not have anticipated anything like such loadings when the LRO was granted, so would have needed some serious upgrading of its infrastructure for that sort of traffic, not least to the capacity of the loading gantry and the NG line supplying it [or some large lorries to replace it...]
Regards
Noel

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 am

Noel wrote:
Armchair Modeller wrote: I have ordered some for the BR period on Ulpha.

Their axle loading, at full rated load, which could easily be exceeded if carrying stone rather than coal, was around 17/17.5 tons, with total weight around 34/35 tons. There were light railways which were built or upgraded to cope with such loads, the Corringham for example, but they were pretty rare. A line like the Ulpha would probably not have anticipated anything like such loadings when the LRO was granted, so would have needed some serious upgrading of its infrastructure for that sort of traffic, not least to the capacity of the loading gantry and the NG line supplying it [or some large lorries to replace it...]

I am happy to agree with everything you say, Noel. They do look nice wagons though! I am sure I can work around the restrictions somehow. ;)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:My initial thought (hope!) was that we ought to be able to get away with just replacing the wheels,

My practice is to do one wagon and see how it works. It will of course depend on the condition of the track since an RTR wagon with new wheels dropped in should be square and the axles parallel (Although that does not always follow :( )

Armchair Modeller wrote:My worry is that with such an open chassis, alterations to provide springing or compensation might be very visible and detract from the model.

That of course is the problem with any wagon with open framing. A sprung system is probably the best in such a situation if it is really needed.

Terry Bendall

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Just received 3 wagons today. The wheels do look very fine. Just wondering if a minor thinning of the wheel tread width from the front and a tiny narrowing of the flange width from the back would provide an economical solution to wheel conversion. The flanges are narrow enough to go through my pointwork as is. I may try one wagon, just to see how I get on.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi Hardwicke
I've skimmed your workbench thread (without an e at the end of your name! - I assume I've got the right one?!) and can't find what you're referring to. Any chance of a link?
Cheers
Julian

Also, thanks for your reply Alistair.

Obviously, Jim and Terry, I am aware there may not be any need in any case given quality control of the track. But the club layout I work for is mostly pretty old with some less than perfect baseboard material stability and hence track. So far my interest is purely hypothetical in any case, with a Crab chassis conversion to finish first when I get some proper time.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:22 am

Julian Roberts wrote:
Hi Hardwicke
I've skimmed your workbench thread (without an e at the end of your name! - I assume I've got the right one?!) and can't find what you're referring to. Any chance of a link?
Cheers
Julian

Julian, Will provides the link in his post.
Rob

Will L wrote:I was struggling to find this. Actuality think you mean your "Dave Bradwell Springing units" thread on the Trains: Model and Prototype Wagons forum (click to follow the link), but yes, once found, this is definitely relevant.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks Rob! Apologies for wasting space on the thread. I must have had a "doh" moment in overlooking Will's post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Rob found it !
Julian Roberts wrote:

Hi Hardwicke
Cheers
Julian

Yes, still me. I changed my online name as I realised I'd miss-spelt it.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3847
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:02 pm

I made a start on weathering one of mine. You could really go to town on these if you wanted, there's a great variety of conditions on Paul Bartlett's wonderful website.

I tried the "hairspray" technique for chipping these which actually works really well and used acrylic paints. The hairspray technique involves applying light coats of hairspray then overlaying that with another colour. The top coat sticks to the hairspray, not the model, and then the hairspray can be activated with water to get a nice effect - removing the last applied coat of paint. The dust/dirt shade could be a little darker and I might work on that a bit next.

20180828_135341.jpg

Alastair

ChrisMitchell

Postby ChrisMitchell » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Having received my TOPs era hoppers a week or two back, I have been taking a look at swappng out the wheelsets. I have discovered that there is zero clearance between the the front of the wheels and the back of the fixed washers on the rear of the W irons, so no free running at all.

Any suggestions? I am using wheelsets bought from Wizard Models. Is this the problem?

Regards, Chris

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 am

Sounds like you neede to remove or thin down the fixed washers (usually called bosses?).
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

waveydavey

Postby waveydavey » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:44 pm

That’s the conclusion I’ve come to with my hoppers Keith.

The Accurascale axles were a bit shorter than the standard 26mm so I assumed I need to open up the axleboxes to allow the replacement wheelsets to spin freely as they didn’t when initially dropped in. It didn’t make much difference so, on closer inspection, it seems the wheel centres have a tendency to rub on the bosses.

I haven’t got round to filing down the bosses yet but it’s in the workbench queue.

Also need to get around to asking Accurascale about spare brake levers as I managed to brake a couple during the axlebox shenanigans.
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975

Return to “New Products”