Alternative to DAS modelling clay

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Alternative to DAS modelling clay

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:54 am

Morning all,

Whilst wandering around "Flying Tiger" in Cambridge yesterday looking for Christmas gifts, I perused their craft section with an eye on what might be useful for modelling purposes.

I spotted this white air-drying modelling clay, which looks equivalent to, but half the price of, DAS.

Das substitute.JPG

I've picked up a pack to try at some point when my current pack of DAS runs out, but I don't see why it shouldn't be just as good.

Find the nearest store at https://uk.flyingtiger.com/en-GB/find-store

Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

steve howe

Re: Alternative to DAS modelling clay

Postby steve howe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 pm

It will be interesting to make a comparison. DAS as far as I can ascertain is made from paper pulp, probably with the addition of some china clay, there's certainly some mica in it, and dries with the same characteristics as paper or card. This makes it ideal for colouring with watercolours. It can, to some extent, be reactivated with water from the dry state. Some 'air drying' clays being sold are real clay with the addition of a polymer which sets like rock and cannot be re-worked, they are also much harder than DAS making scribing more tiresome. It will be interesting to see how this one behaves!
Steve

kelly

Postby kelly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Another option (though with a bit more limit in terms of use) is polymer clay, available in a number of different brands.

It is an oven baked clay, and tends to bake to a hader more durable finish than DAS and can (depending upon composition/brand) take a lot of fine detail. Shrinkage doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for smaller items. I've been using it for jewellery pieces for a while now.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Has Flymo tried Fimo? :lol: :lol:

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:17 pm

I went to Tiranti's a couple of months ago (great store - thanks for MRJ introducing me to it years ago) and the staff advised "claydium) - off white nylon reinforced modelling material. Dries in air. It can be softened with water when hard. Far cheaper then DAS which they also had.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

david barrett

Postby david barrett » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:14 pm

I have used Claydium for many years now on my Midland and south Western Junction Layouts Chiseldon and Cirencester, It's not perfect but what is.

Return to “New Products”