SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Guy Rixon

Re: SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:59 am

John Duffy wrote:
Knuckles wrote:Someone on RMweb said they think a reason pre grouping is less modelled is partly due to a lack of suitable rolling stock ... There are no GNSR wagons available; none at all.
\

Were you aware of these: http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/wagons/gnsr_wagons4.html? They are still "in preparation", of course.

EDIT: also this Shapeways shop: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/blackswan which I think relates to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56339-gnsr-outside-framed-wagons/ posted in Another Place.

I am prepared to have a go at some buffers if you have dimensions, drawings or photographs to share.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi Guy, it wasn't me who said there were no wagons. I was just quoting or paraphrasing. Sorry if I was unclear there.

Later I'll show those two links to the one who did once I find him again.
Thanks for the reveal.

I haven't the drawings you mention, although I fully expect people to cut the heads off printed buffers, drill a hole and add a nice turned head. Buffer heads on my kits look more like Viscounts due to how thick they apparently need to be to print.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

John Duffy

Postby John Duffy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:
John Duffy wrote:
Knuckles wrote:Someone on RMweb said they think a reason pre grouping is less modelled is partly due to a lack of suitable rolling stock ... There are no GNSR wagons available; none at all.
\

Were you aware of these: http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/wagons/gnsr_wagons4.html? They are still "in preparation", of course.

EDIT: also this Shapeways shop: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/blackswan which I think relates to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56339-gnsr-outside-framed-wagons/ posted in Another Place.

I am prepared to have a go at some buffers if you have dimensions, drawings or photographs to share.

Thanks for that and the information.

The Mousa wagons don't actually exist, but would be good to see. I haven't seen the Shapeways vans, but have tried on a couple of occasions to source similar from CWR - without success, I will perhaps try direct from them. The GNSR had quite distinctive J hangars, which at 4 sets per wagon, I had hoped - again without success - to secure the production of. There are 8 & 10 spoked carriage wheels available, which would give the correct sized wheels, but at times the prospect of getting stock seems somewhat forlorn.

cheers

John

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Some good questions and points to think about. I can't currently answer them from a knowledgeable point of view though. I know wheelbases and wheel sizes make a difference between weight, tractive effort, balance and all that but on the technical side of things I don't know.

I have an update on the Cambrian & K2 issues...

Firstly I thank you all for your input in trying to solve this. I'm not emphatically saying it is solved but some new evidence that has come to light is basically some textual information explaining that there indeed were variations in the wheelbases of the different engines.

With that in mind. The K2 Chassis and bodies thankfully are not changing in dimensions as they are as far as I can tell correct. They aren't changing.
The K2 chassis is designed with a

5’ 9” + 6’ 8” + 8’ 6”

wheelbase. The original chassis is renamed with the 3'0" bogey size designation and there are 3 new sets with the 3'6" designation.

The Cambrian Class 61 body and 00 chassis that I preliminarily changed earlier in the thread has been revisited and completed with a wheelbase of

5’ 6” + 6’ 6½” + 8’ 3”

When the EM and P4 chassis are completed they will all be uploaded as a job lot.

IF, and IF there is demand then I will also release the former version of the Cambrian Class 61 with the Furness wheelbase as an extra for those who are convinced of a longer length. If so the instructions will say to buy the K2 chassis for it. Good idea or bad? Seems a bit pointless but everyone has a different idea on what the true image is.

Ok Pheonix K2 has been updated, it now has a new chimney.

Just need to do the Cambrian EM and P4 chassis then that can be released, properly this time and then I'll be doing the E M and P4 chassis for the L&YR Class 28.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:38 pm

Quick update.

The Cambrian Class 61 body is now ready to order with a wheelbase of
5’ 6” + 6’ 6½” + 8’ 3”
designed for 3'6" bogies.

If you would like one with a wheelbase of
5’ 9” + 6’ 8” + 8’ 6”
to fit the K2 chassis contact me and I'll sort it for you.

Coupling rods and chassis (00, EM, P4 - Fixed) ready too.

Now sorting the EM chassis out for the Class 28...

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Alan Rhodes

Postby Alan Rhodes » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Good news, pleased additional information has been found. What is the source?

I did scan some more photographs but the results were confusing to say the least.

Alan

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Alan Rhodes wrote:Good news, pleased additional information has been found. What is the source?

I did scan some more photographs but the results were confusing to say the least.

Alan

Source is collectively all of you who have kindly helped in all this but what finally settled me was this quote...

grovenor-2685 wrote:Since there seemed to be some discrepancies between the drawings on the Cumbrian Rlys site and Mike Peascod's figures on our site I sent an email to Mike to see if he could clarify.
He has sent back the attached note which should help.
Mike also noted that Dragon Models make a 7mm kit and are considering a 4mm version.
download/file.php?id=10574
Regards

PS. Will add document when I find out why the upload is not working for me on this new version of the forum
OK its worked with Edge, did not work with Firefox for some reason!

And I am told to credit Mike Peascod of the Cumbrian Railways Association so duly done so.

Many thanks. :thumb

EDIT: Quoting a link isn't visually that obvious, so here it is again...

download/file.php?id=10574

EDIT: Didn't want to make a new post so I'll just say it here for anyone who finds it.
L&YR Class 28 EM chassis done now too.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Greetings all.

Based upon request I have decided to make a series showing one way to go about building the kits.

Part one is the method I currently use for WSF smoothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgx2_q3 ... e=youtu.be

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi Gavin,

Sorry this is much later than I intended - nearly out of January! Life gets like that....

In late December I promised some pics to illustrate the use of Chris Gibbon's High Level Kits 'TendeRiser' step-down 1:1 gearbox in installing tender motors, with the drive shaft hidden below the cab floor. This should,be of interest to those wishing to maximise the weighting of pre-Group, small-boilered prototypes, such as your Cambrian and LYR examples, by banishing the motor to the tender and packing the firebox/boiler with lead.

There are two examples here; Caledonian Railway McIntosh 0-6-0 and Highland Railway 'Clan Goods' 4-6-0; a 4-4-0 could use similar arrangements. In the former, I set the drive shaft below the footplate level, in the latter I set it between the footplate and the raised cab floor. If you are not fussy about preserving the footplate, you could also choose an intermediate level, cutting away the area of footplating that would foul the drive shaft.

Both installations use the High Level Roadrunner 'Compact+' gearbox, but discard its articulated lower section in favour of an added 'Drivestretcher', which introduces an idler gear, and thus allows space to fit a final drive gear with a boss and grub screw. I prefer this to the boss-less drive gear of the Compact+, which relies on Loctite (been there, dealt with the bond failure...). In addition, the Drivestretcher enables the gearbox to be sited well back within the firebox, rather than at its front edge.

I hope the photos are fairly self-explanatory; I am in the process of writing some of this up (the 0-6-0s already done) if there is any further interest in it. It may help you when it comes to planning further locos, or maximising performance in existing ones. Even when/if rapid prototyping printing produces the finer finishes we are all after, the light weight of the material seems likely to be an issue (I know nowt about the process, beyond the broad principle!).

Keep up the pioneering!

All best

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:37 am

Steve,

I didn't know Romford/Markits made P4 wheels with deeper flanges...(!)

Philip

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:26 am

Thanks essdee, really appreciate that.

Is it easier than it looks? In the past I have always been put off by the idea but you are doing a good job of persuading me to try. I like the idea of having a beefier motor installed as some of these test builds have had babies in simply as I didn't want to ruin the aesthetics by cutting the boiler or firebox. I did break this rule when I bunked a flywheel in the K2 though. Now my best runner.

Both installations use the High Level Roadrunner 'Compact+' gearbox, but discard its articulated lower section in favour of an added 'Drivestretcher', which introduces an idler gear, and thus allows space to fit a final drive gear with a boss and grub screw. I prefer this to the boss-less drive gear of the Compact+, which relies on Loctite (been there, dealt with the bond failure...)

The class 28 used a Compact+ with a small motor.

I find most my builds seem to use a Roadrunner+ and I did use a drive stretcher in the K2 although I'm unsure if it was needed really.

With the Compact+ I had nothing but bother with that final driver gear. If I was using Gibson wheels it may have been fine but I was using Romford/Markits 00 wheels and those axles are a wee smaller in diameter. As a result the gear slid on like a willy in a welly and the only way I got it to stay was to gum it up with loctite until it eventually grabbed it.

Also of note, for 00 builds I used to use those wheels but I have turned to Alan Gibson's. The Romford ones self quarter and make life easy but my last two builds did the opposite because their axles wouldn't fit in their wheels and I had to bodge and force them on. Maybe they redesigned things for a later batch but it has messed up what I was using with the collection I had. I'm unsure if I want to risk ordering more 00 wheels now incase they do not fit. I do test builds with 00 mostly. Strange how I turned to P4 and thought I left 00 but now I have to do both!

Alan's to my eye are miles more realistic in profile too.

I am doing a video series on building the kits and for that I'll just do it the normal way but after I might indeed try using the propeller shaft method and see how it goes. The principles are going to be basic as I envision these 3D chassis kits and the tutorial video's to be an entry point for newcomers to kit building as a whole.

If they can build a 3D printed chassis and then want to move to full etched ones the only extra hurdle needed is soldering up a square chassis. (Unless you add springing etc)

Still awaiting bits from Postman Pat and Jess.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:14 am

Philip Hall wrote:Steve,

I didn't know Romford/Markits made P4 wheels with deeper flanges...(!)

No, but Markits did make a batch of their screw-end axles in P4-length. This was in their catalogue until recently.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:03 pm

!!!!! Curses, Moriarty - found out! Such carelessness..... I should have pointed out the P4/EM factor - you get the extra piece of cake, Philip.

Knuckles - yes, I admit it looks a handful, and figuring out the first installation took a while. Now it comes almost naturally! Think of these three elements to it:

1) The easy bit, the TendeRiser; just follow Chris's instructions, for using the short setting, ie. no idler axle and remove the bottom section of the gearbox frame - snaps off along a half-etch, easy (I assume your pre-Group tender will be relatively low in profile). If using CSB suspension, or with narrower EM frames, you will probably also need to remove from the TendeRiser frame the redundant 'ears' for the offset idler gear, which may foul the CSB wire on one side.

The flexible coupling is Ripmax aircraft fuel line, 1.6mm ID and a tight fit on 2mm gear shafts. I made my own cardan shaft, using 1mm NS rod and nested brass tube 'bosses' at either end.

I made a detachable brass cradle, lined with cycle tyre innertube, to hold the motor/gearbox firmly and quietly. The cradle has two alignment spigots and is screwed to a broad centre spacer on the tender frames. A screw fitting at the top allows the motor to be slid out, or its fore-aft position adjusted.

2) Next easiest bit, the modified Compact+ with Drivestretcher D2 and replacement bossed axle gearwheel. Chris supplies the Compact+ with parts to add front and rear bearings for a stand-alone gearbox. I chose to make the rear bearing removable, by soldering 10BA nuts on the inside face of the rear fixing holes; this allows maintenance and re-washering of the worm shaft if needed.

Since the upper motor-fixing screw hole was now redundant, I reduced the height of the main Compact+ frame to allow more space for lead above it. As a 'belt and braces' measure, I soldered etch waste NS strip around the top for strength - not sure how necessary this was.....

The substitute D2 drivestretcher may be installed as per Chris's instructions, and angled to suit your required cardan shaft 'level'. However, I found that in this configuration, the bottom of the D2 frame would have fouled the bottom of the ashpan, requiring a cut-out and a visible D2 beneath the loco. By inverting the D2, I reduced its 'lower profile' and avoided that problem. I had to pay the price of modifying the D2, by removing part of the rear end of its fold-up 'base ' (ie 'top' in my usage), to allow articulation with the frame of the main Compact+ gearbox, as well as notching the underside of the front bearing bracket, to clear the idler gear which fouled it in my particular chosen articulation angle. This should be clear from the photos, I hope.

Actually, although the assembly is relatively simple, the setting of the articulation of the modified assembly is a non-trivial matter, and will depend on your particular prototype, particularly the 'space' available for the driveshaft run, as constrained by the relative heights of axle, ashpan, footplate and any raised cab floor. I spent a fair while 'trying' the mocked up gearbox against drawings, and then in the actual chassis, with the articulation tack-soldered for easy adjustment in-situ, before removal and completion of solder seams. However, I want to emphasise that the High Level gearbox components allow a great degree of freedom, even before you consider modifying them as I have done here!

3) The wormshaft bracket assembly. This part is entirely custom-built, though using spare High Level gearbox bracket components. In many ways it is less critical than the gearbox articulation, though it's dimensions will be set by the latter. The main thing is to allow sufficient wormshaft projection behind the bracket, to allow a firm coupling with the cardan shaft, whilst placing the bracket sufficiently rearwards to minimise the angle of rise/fall of the gearbox on the axle suspension, which also allows the easiest sideplay on curves.

The bracket comprises an 'L' shape, being a cut-down frame spacer, with a cutout to accept the bearing bracket itself, which is made removable via 10BA nuts on the front of the wormshaft bracket. Two NS spigots in the base of this, locating in holes in a dedicated frame spacer, prevent it from rotating when fixed in position.

When I assembled the chassis, I did not know the height at which the wormshaft bracket would sit, so I added the dedicated spacer low in the frames. I subsequently marked and drilled for the bracket screw and spigot holes - you can see a redundant set of three holes from my first trial! I soldered a NS washer under the wormshaft bracket to adjust the height once a discrepancy became evident, and subsequently adjusted it by adding shim washers to finalise the cardan shaft height.

OK, that's enough words from me for now - I hope the further illustrations will help understand what I am about. (Sorry, major hijack of your thread here....perhaps you/John McA might want to separate to a new thread and place a link here instead?)

Finally, mindful that you are aiming 'easy-build' kits for the relative newcomer to this side of the hobby, I should emphasise that there are easier ways to drive from the tender - directly and visibly, above the footplate. But I feel it is worth flagging up to you and potential customers of yours, the scope for 'hidden' drives. I fought shy of tender-motors for ages, partly because of perceived complexity, partly for the visual aspect of the exposed drive shaft.

Good luck with your developments, and if you decide to give this a try and want any further info, PM me any time.

Best wishes

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Wow, um. Not sure what to say! :shock:

You lost me a bit there, but I did understand some of it and I must thank you for spending the time to write it so I hope it wasn't a wasted effort. If not me someone else could be helped. I'll definitely be referring to the write up in the future as I have decided this is likely the way to go for future builds on small tender loco's. Having looked at the pictures it doesn't seems as hard as I once thought, in principle all you are doing is adding a shaft with some universal joints, or bits that do a similar job.

You suggested a new thread be made - I don't think making one myself makes sense for this but if you could make one and just copy and paste what you wrote here that'd be great. We could continue it and others could find the subject easier based on the title. ;)

With the kits. I have designed them with the newcomer in mind as there are many good kits that are complex and scare people off who are still testing the water. I'm hoping mine will ease people into some of the basics as the hardest with these part really is just getting the gearbox built and the crank pins all rolling nicely. Compared to an etched chassis that is a lot less needed, unless you want springing etc. I know many of us P4 modellers do and so I'm sure they can be adapted and at some point I want to look at a possible revise so they can take separate leafs or something. My early prototypes did something like this and it was working but due to a few quibbles I decided I'd shelf the idea until later.

These kits also can obviously be detailed up too. The reverser rods in WSF aren't the best but dumping them in favour of brass strip will no doubt look better, same for the brake gear. I've provided brake gear that just clips in like Hornby's and so far I'm happy using it but no doubt a replacement with metal rod will win here. I've tried to make it easy for people, as another example there are lamp irons already on the designs as some will be happy to use them or scared to modify, but if not it is a simple 2 second job to lop them off and add etched ones on. :thumb

Long term plan - sell kits in a box, possibly with my own printer. Etches and all.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:01 pm

essdee wrote:... 3) The wormshaft bracket assembly...

I'm rather wondering what this bit is doing and whether it is necessary/ a good idea. Mostly is seems to be a replacement for a classic Torsion Reaction Link, which would keep the gearbox input shaft horizontal and in line with the drive shaft without risking restricting the suspension movement of the gearbox/axle. Torsion Reaction links were last discussed. here

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Knuckles,

Heh, heh - yes, it was a fair load to dump on you in one go. Don't get bogged down in details of it, but I am pleased that you find the prospect less daunting than at first! Have a go with some trial tender-motor layouts and see how it 'feels' to you before committing yourself. Simplicity will be the key to your success with this project I guess.

Incidentally, those lovely 4-4-0 prototypes of yours have the great advantage, for relative beginners, of creating a period (express, even) passenger loco that does not need jointed coupling rods, and lacks all that Baroque external valve gear that infests more modern types.......

I like the idea of progressively adding metal detail to refine a basic printed bodyshell. May I suggest using nickel silver strip for the reversing rod rather than brass -then it just needs burnishing/oily weathering? Also stronger for the delicate brake gear, especially if to be built detachable.

Will,

No - I came at this arrangement from a different angle. My inspiration for the tender drive was the classic Tony Miles/Dave Goodwin series on the superlative-running Adavoyle Irish locos, back in Railway Modeller, Jan/Feb/March/May 1982.Their custom-built gearboxes were pivoted via a rubber-insulated loose screw to a rear stretcher - the rubber prevented 'chatter' between gearbox and stretcher/frame. However I didn't have clearances to replicate their arrangement, so decided to restrain the drive shaft directly, at the most critical location under the cab floor (which I had to raise slightly in any case, towards the front, to clear the silicone tube coupling). I didn't want excessive uncertainty in the freedom of the rear end of the drive shaft there. I have not found 'chatter' between shaft and bearing to be a problem, with an application of grease. I shall be exploring a rubber-deadened fixing of the bracket for future builds anyway.

I am sure some form of torque reaction link could be made to work as well though; give it a go!

All best,

Steve

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:44 pm

essdee wrote:Knuckles,

Heh, heh - yes, it was a fair load to dump on you in one go. Don't get bogged down in details of it, but I am pleased that you find the prospect less daunting than at first! Have a go with some trial tender-motor layouts and see how it 'feels' to you before committing yourself. Simplicity will be the key to your success with this project I guess.

Incidentally, those lovely 4-4-0 prototypes of yours have the great advantage, for relative beginners, of creating a period (express, even) passenger loco that does not need jointed coupling rods, and lacks all that Baroque external valve gear that infests more modern types.......

I like the idea of progressively adding metal detail to refine a basic printed bodyshell. May I suggest using nickel silver strip for the reversing rod rather than brass -then it just needs burnishing/oily weathering? Also stronger for the delicate brake gear, especially if to be built detachable.

Aye, the more simple designs of four or six coupled examples are often where to start. The smaller length trains may make a baby motor justifyable to some degree but more power is always better.

I was thinking of saying "nickel silver or brass" but was being idle and opted to just say brass. :mrgreen: Maybe I shouldn't be idle. I always tin brass to 'paint' it metal anyway.

-

Does this interest anyone?

http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big ... 704-77.jpg
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/upload ... 568859.jpg
http://static.premiersite.co.uk/53588/i ... 717308.jpg

Thinking it might be one of my next projects. Will be more expensive to develop and buy due to the extra material volume and machine space but I don't think it will be any harder to design. (He says.)

If it interests anyone and if any of you have any info you think would help or some suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. I currently have two drawings for it but also hoping to avoid the conflab with discrepancies like on the K2 and 61 earlier. I've looked about to find the official name of it and need some more info. So far I've found it apparently is a Hughes P1 but I read it was a Kitson too. Maybe Kitson build designed by Hughes, either way though it will need to be appropriately named and identified if I do go ahead with it. The research continues...

The other advantage of this is it would be great to fit a fat motor and flywheel in, plenty of room.

If you know of another who makes this in 4mm then please let me know. I'm aiming to not duplicate things for the most part, the odd time maybe like the Class 28 but I'd rather just do things not done 95% of the time - many reasons.

Every time a prototype is suggested I make a tally too so it won't be a wasted text but as to what may be developed in the future and in what order I cannot say.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:00 pm

I think you may be confusing two different engines here, Knuckles. The one shown in the links is a design by Rutherford for the Furness Railway, built by Kitsons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furness_Railway_115_class. The Hughes design for the Lancashire and Yorkshire is equally massive, but with outside cylinders https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Hughes_4-6-4T and was built at Horwich. Like the more or less contemporary Baltics from the LT&SR and the G&SWR both were superseded by Fowler/Stanier/Fairburn 2-6-4T.

The first were numbered from 11100 by the LMS, the second from 11110.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks Noel. One of the websites had a picture of the inside cylindered loco and called it a P1 by Hughes.

Oh well. No surprise really! Dreadnought's have always appealed to me too.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. 115 Class confirmed. :)

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 am

Seeing Steve's (essdee's) work is an inspiration. Just when I think I'm improving, I see what he achieves and think "I must do better!"
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:06 am

Indeed.

That's the only problem with a finescale mindset (to whatever degree), one minute you're up the next you are down.

'Yay, I improved A,B,C, best ever, looks and works so much better."

Then you see stuff from the more experienced!
:-D

It is inspirational and it certainly drives me.

Point rodding and nice track is too something that gets my cognitive cogs grinding.

Definetly going to try the tender drive on my next small tender loco build though. Well, after the video'd one anyway.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

essdee

Postby essdee » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:28 am

Andy -thanks indeed, your kind words much appreciated but - whoa there! I don't wish to hi-jack Knuckles' thread any more. My input here was inspired by Knuckles' own perseverance and determination (wondered where he had been, all that time) in creating this new range, which I strongly feel deserves support and encouragement. I am tempted by the Furness 4-4-0, far more than my existing interests should allow.....

Yes, there are some formidable barriers involving the present state of 'finish' on such printed products; reduced somewhat if you pay the premium for FUD. Knuckles has demonstrated an approach to dealing with this. I remember the price and pixillation of the earliest digital cameras way back - "huh, gimmick, it'll never happen, etc"? Well..... I am confident that these barriers/ price premiums will get lower within acceptable time limits. I would hope that there is an appropriate uptake of these products ( I really am minded to have a go myself, once I find some spare time), and my recommendation as to tender-motor etc. is to encourage those who are only deterred by the inevitable lighness/limited weighting capacity of printed, pre-Grouping prototypes. Remember, Ratio in the late 1970s.80, briefly marketed MR 2-4-0 and 4-4-0, which suffered the same problems. I still have my boxed 2-4-0 (£14 it cost....), and with a tender drive and proper chassis it might provide some light relief from 'heavy' finescale modelling. Something on the par with admitting that I once enjoyed carving the Airfix J94 body to fit on a Hornby R1 chassis -er, is that something I dare admit to here?!

Of course, with that hunking great Furness Baltic, no weight problems there - go, Knuckles, go! I like the concept of the basic printed forms, with detailing etches, to make it easier to get a good fettled finish first, on the printed components. Anything that makes it easier to model the pre-Group scene, for a wider pool of younger modellers, gets my vote.

Thanks again though, Andy; if you intend following my 'train of thought' with the tender drives, PM me anytime. And, Knuckles, as I previewed this before submitting, I read your own response -thanks to you too, and pleased that I have given you further inspiration. Name of the game!

Best wishes

Steve

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks very much, that's most encouraging.

I had a few quiet loggin periods of apparent absense but it is true the 8-10 month whatever gap was me secretly (to most) brewing up this project.

My only main concern though is that the chassis are currently designed for fixed axle and I know most of us who do P4 will be wanting sprung or compo. For this reason I percieve that many P4 modellers may be put off by the chassis and I appreciate this view. I have a few different experiments to try out with them though.

I did detail the springing issue earlier in the thread though and many have replied so no need to go into it too much, suffice to say though that my forst test chassis were desiged with built in anchoring for CSB. I shelved the project in favour for fixed ones because there is a lot more to get right. I made my own hornblocks and everything but they didn't slide well. This was expected but I thought I'd prove the idea as viable or not. WSF hornblocks - forget it. FUD hornblocks worked after a wee touch with the file but this then resulted in too much lateral twist so I decided if I revisit the idea of 3D printed chassis designed for springing then usual brass hornblocks are probably the way to do it.

When I resume experiments I think individual leaf springs may be a better idea as I percieve them to be easier to set up. I can't understand all the algebra and stuff and I work things out other ways.

The Baltic is looking attractive to me for many reasons but the price tag is not. My E2 because of the material used and the machine volume isn't cheap and the FUD price is a joke.

I'm looking into getting my own printer to help out with all this as I could easily put a link in the descriptions leading to a new website as a front page to SCC or an email to me if someone would would want an ABS printed body priced more realistically than FUD.

I guess this is why the narrow gauge market is fine in FUD. Baby things.

The other option for future ideas is to do the usual etched chassis for springing etc and a 3D printed for fixed.

So many ideas and options.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:52 pm

Knuckles wrote:When I resume experiments I think individual leaf springs may be a better idea as I percieve them to be easier to set up. I can't understand all the algebra and stuff and I work things out other ways.

The thing that drove the development of CSBs is that it really isn't that easy to set up individual springs on anything with more than 4 wheels, and an incorrect set up will lead to disappointment. With CSB, a guaranteed valid set up comes with properly calculated fulcrum points and is designed into the chassis. You don't need to understand the algebra because the spread sheet tool does all that for you. All you do need to know is the wheel base of the loco which I wouldn't have thought was beyond the grasp of the average P4 modeller.

Will

In trying to "sell" CSB I have discovered that half the world won't accept things if you don't explain how/why it works and certainly won't believe its true without such an explanation, and the other half of the world find the explanation far to much to think about and therefore presumes the whole thing is much too difficult/complicated for them. If anybody has an sensible ideas as to how you can publicise a good idea in a way that satisfies both groups.... I'm interested

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Ok Will, thanks for that.

Knowing the wheelbase obviously is essential if you are trying to make a model too.

I didn't know it could be so easy to work out. So far when looking into it I've been very confused on it.
I'll have a look at the digests again and see if I can read it with a different mindset. I saw Bill Bedford wrote a good bit on it somewhere so will look again.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Return to “New Products”