Axleboxes for LNWR wagons

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Guy Rixon

Axleboxes for LNWR wagons

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:23 pm

Alan Clogwyn, who does 3D prints for rolling stock of Welsh railways, has drawn some axleboxes for LNWR wagons. They are "No. 2 grease axleboxes for 10-ton wagons" and are available, in beta, on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/FJP4W6BWN/lnwr-no2-grease-axle-box-for-10-ton-wagons?li=shop-results&optionId=58177536.

These look rather nice. I have ordered a set and will post more information when I get them. I have no connection with Alan beyond buying some of his stuff.

dal-t

Re: Axleboxes for LNWR wagons

Postby dal-t » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:33 pm

They do look very good, and I'm extremely tempted to try some, but I don't think I can cope with the Shapeways non-delivery experience again this year. Looks like I'll have to find someone in a location Useless Parcels Service can actually find, to receive them for me and forward via a competent postal system.
David L-T

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:23 am

Did you get your prints, Guy? I finally decided to bite the bullet on UPS (non)delivery and order some (after managing to negotiate my way around the unexpected appearance of an Apple item with UPS, whose driver on this occasion was not only geographically challenged, but spoke marginally more limited French than I do), but Shapeways have come back to say their design vetting shows the item can't be manufactured in FUD. I'm puzzled, as they don't look that delicate?
David L-T

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 am

The axlebox prints arrived an hour ago. They look fine. I'll post a picture this evening, when I have them cleaned up and primed.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Here's the print in primer:

LNWR-axleboxes.jpg

No sign of mis-printing. I don't know what Shapeways are worrying about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Well, they do look good. I've messaged Alan to see if he knows what Shapeways are up to, if not I may simply re-order and see if I get a more compliant 'reviewer' next time.
David L-T

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:44 pm

I have heard from Alan, who has modified the design slightly, but it seems I may also have boobed by ordering in Ultra Detail rather than Extra Detail (I confess I hadn't noticed the option, thought the materials used to be a drop-down menu rather than two very similar-looking boxes, and in any case in my use of English 'Ultra' would be finer than 'Extra', but that's all water under the bridge now). So I have re-ordered and hope everything goes through OK this time. Alan has also indicated he might be open to producing other styles of L&NWR boxes - I'm investigating the provision of dimensioned drawings.
David L-T

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Alan has doubled the number of boxes in a print, which drops the price per axlebox by about 40%.

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:19 pm

dal-t wrote:Alan has also indicated he might be open to producing other styles of L&NWR boxes - I'm investigating the provision of dimensioned drawings.

LNWR Wagons Vol1 published by Wild Swan has detailed dimensions of 21 axleboxes.

Alan has produced the No2 grease axlebox (the only grease axlebox in the book) but illustrations in the book clearly show at least seven leaves to the spring not four. That's a pity because, to me, it spoils their appearance. Perhaps it may be the limitations of 3D printing?

Edit. I've just looked at the digital previews that show more leaves (6), but in Guy's sample, the appearance is such that it looks like four.

regards
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “New Products”