Modelu

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Modelu

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:04 pm

What spacing is missing Tim?
I can see the support spacing specified as 9ft. which was standard for channel rodding that came in 18ft lengths.
I think I can see the rod spacing, between the bottom two rods at the left end, but the resolution is not good enough to confirm it.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:41 pm

I wonder whether 'standard' spacing was rigidly adhered to (6ft for round rubular rodding, 9ft for square inverted U-channel rodding).

If the rodding has to be close to the track (as it does in some situations, e.g. between a running line and the platform face at a station), the spacing of sleepers may not allow the rodding stools to be located at these precise intervals. There are some places on my layout where the rodding stools will have to be fitted in between sleepers. In these cases, I propose to position them between each third sleeper, which will result in the spacing being a bit more than 6ft apart.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Sorry, spacing is specified as 3" between rods, apart from the pedestal crank, specified as 4".
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:02 pm

martin goodall wrote:I wonder whether 'standard' spacing was rigidly adhered to (6ft for round rubular rodding, 9ft for square inverted U-channel rodding).

If the rodding has to be close to the track (as it does in some situations, e.g. between a running line and the platform face at a station), the spacing of sleepers may not allow the rodding stools to be located at these precise intervals. There are some places on my layout where the rodding stools will have to be fitted in between sleepers. In these cases, I propose to position them between each third sleeper, which will result in the spacing being a bit more than 6ft apart.

I thought the rods came pre-formed and the ends flattened for joints, so the PW chaps would not enjoy having to flatten and shorten more than the occasional rod?

Gordon A
Bristol

stephenfreeman

Postby stephenfreeman » Wed May 11, 2016 8:30 am

Hi,
What really looks impressive to me is are the GWR finials - hollow ball and all! I'll be using them in future.
Stephen Freeman
Bespoke Finescale Trackwork and Semaphore Signals 7mm to 4mm scales
http://www.trackandsignals.co.uk
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8tkf7uW9Ec_Ox2cprxikMA

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:45 am

I wonder whether 'standard' spacing was rigidly adhered to (6ft for round rubular rodding, 9ft for square inverted U-channel rodding).

These were generally considered maximums and would be kept to pretty closely on plain runs. but clearly in congested areas it would not be possible and stools would be put in to suit the circumstances.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

stephenfreeman

Postby stephenfreeman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:58 pm

I've just received some pretty impressive samples of the Signal Lamps he has recently scanned.(they are hollow too)

My only comment about what might be improved was to do them in black rather than red if possible as otherwise the inside of the lamp needs to be painted with a reflective paint (silver/aluminium) to stop light showing where it shouldn't when fitted with an smd led. Of course it might still be necessary but won't know for certain until it's tried.
Stephen Freeman
Bespoke Finescale Trackwork and Semaphore Signals 7mm to 4mm scales
http://www.trackandsignals.co.uk
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8tkf7uW9Ec_Ox2cprxikMA

Return to “New Products”