Brassmasters LMS "Princess" kit

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Horsetan

Brassmasters LMS "Princess" kit

Postby Horsetan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:23 pm

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Alastairr
Web Team

Re: Brassmasters LMS "Princess" kit

Postby Alastairr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Horsetan,

Did you get one of these at Scaleforum? If so, how does the the kit look? I resisted looking to closely as I knew I would have done further financial damage...

Alastair

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:28 pm

AER_2263 wrote:Horsetan,

Did you get one of these at Scaleforum? If so, how does the the kit look? I resisted looking to closely as I knew I would have done further financial damage...

In summary:

1. Yes. And the 10-ton Stanier tender.

2. Jaw-dropping etches. Usual high standard of detail castings.

3. You should have spent the money. They told me that once all 40 kits are sold, there won't be any more because the resin mould for the boiler/smokebox/firebox expired after producing 43 assemblies (3 were retained for test-builds).

Downsides:

1. More etches to come!

2. Instructions and CD for engine portion still to be delivered (expected end of October 2014).

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:59 am

I agree with Horsetan, looks a really good kit.
However there are some steps backwards in my opinion. some of the castings used in the other brassmasters kit with up till now have been cast in brass are in whitemetal in this kit for example the ejector on the firebox side which in brass could at least be soldered to the pipe.
The other part which I feel should be cast in brass is the expansion link cover footplate for 6200/1. thia spans the side of the footplate and in my view should be attached to the footplate and then will project down over the chassis valve gear, in Whitemetal this approach is very fragile, whereas cast in brass this could have been soldered to the footplate.

In two minds about the inside valve gear, not sure that the effort will be seen, but the jury is still out.

One last point, the smokebox door straps are not in parallel, so I will be looking for an alternative, probably based on an old K's kit

philbax

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Philbax wrote:.....In two minds about the inside valve gear, not sure that the effort will be seen, but the jury is still out.

I take the view that, if it's there and can be made to work, why not?

One last point, the smokebox door straps are not in parallel, so I will be looking for an alternative, probably based on an old K's kit

247 Developments sell a reasonably clean Stanier door. I bought one to try on the Edge etches. It might be a suitable alternative for Brassmasters.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Ivan,

One might argue that, at the asking price, you shouldn't have to buy alternative items.

Jol

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:42 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Ivan,

One might argue that, at the asking price, you shouldn't have to buy alternative items.

Well, quite.

It would be nice to have some instructions...... :mrgreen:

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:36 am

I made a somewhat shorter trip this afternoon and picked up my Princess kit and GW models 10" rolling mill from David M who had very kindly purchased them for me. The kit does look very nice indeed, albeit the instructions are somewhat sparse at the moment. Also received the splashers to fit to my Bachmann 3F which i intend to do soon.

One final thought, has anyone let John J know that the smokebox door ain't real good or should the annoying colonial do that?

Regards,

Craig W

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:42 pm

I had another look at the Brassmasters smokebox door. The straps do appear parallel to each other, BUT one is slightly shorter than the other, so that the vertical hinge is slightly lopsided. Probably something in the master got shifted, and nobody noticed.

Philbax wrote:.....The other part which I feel should be cast in brass is the expansion link cover footplate for 6200/1. thia spans the side of the footplate and in my view should be attached to the footplate and then will project down over the chassis valve gear, in Whitemetal this approach is very fragile, whereas cast in brass this could have been soldered to the footplate.....

I wonder if we could use the etch parts from the Edge "Princess" as a substitute?

Return to “New Products”