Stores Stock: Code 55 flat bottom rail

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Stores Stock: Code 55 flat bottom rail

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:21 pm

[Split from the stores stock thread, where we announced stocking 'Code 55 rail, flat bottom, steel' rail. Initially it was erroneously described as bullhead - Webmaster John]

Code 55 bullhead rail,

Is this a new item for the 3mm modellers in our midst? Or something for those modelling the 1840s? Or just a typo?
If one of the first two, an explanation is needed, if the third then it would be advisable to correct it.

To my surprise the stores list does show this with a different ref. to the previous BH rail so maybe its not a typo and the explanation would be good.
And maybe the code should be added to the listings for the other rail as well to make things clear.

Regards
Keith
Last edited by John McAleely on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Intro now it's split from another thread
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Knight

Re: Stores Stock: Code 55 rail and Morgan Design parts

Postby David Knight » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:23 pm

The code 55 sounds interesting. What size chairs would you use with it, and where could they be obtained?

Cheers,

David

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
Code 55 bullhead rail,

Is this a new item for the 3mm modellers in our midst? Or something for those modelling the 1840s? Or just a typo?
If one of the first two, an explanation is needed, if the third then it would be advisable to correct it.

Heh. It's certainly not a typo, and I was unaware it was the size 3mm folk use. Perhaps we can recruit a few?

I understand this does suit certain prototypes well in 4mm, but I'm not familiar which - perhaps someone could elaborate?

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:31 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:And maybe the code should be added to the listings for the other rail as well to make things clear.

I agree. Can someone tell me what the 'code' of our existing rail items are? - I don't actually know...

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:36 pm

Well code 75 x 0.75 is code 56.25 which pretty close to code 55 so should suit 3mm modellers, depending on the head width of course.
But a bullhead rail only 4.2 inches high is a pretty small prototype, Festiniog? Irish? Whoever has campaigned for this rail has sure done it very quietly, i don't recollect any mention on the forum at all.
regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Can someone tell me what the 'code' of our existing rail items are? - I don't actually know...

The bullhead has always been code 75, the flatbottom should be code 82 or 83, Jeremy should be able to say which he specifies.
regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:43 pm

Looks like the3mm team are currently using code 60, definitely oversize for them, but would give our old time modellers a third size to choose from.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 am

It seems possible I have made a mistake in listing the rail - I've been informed by email that it may be flatbottom in profile, rather than bullhead.

I'll have a chat with Jeremy and confirm the details.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am

If it is flatbottom, could you find out the head and foot width.

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:If it is flatbottom, could you find out the head and foot width.

If it is flat bottomed, it could be suitable for turntables.

David C

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:59 pm

It is indeed flatbottom. I can't read the label on the sample provided to me. I've got details coming on the exact spec, which should answer Russ' question.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 pm

David Knight wrote:The code 55 sounds interesting. What size chairs would you use with it, and where could they be obtained?

David, does the knowledge that this is flat bottom profile rail (and not bullhead as originally listed) influence your question? I haven't got enough trackbuilding experience myself to know.

billbedford

Re: Stores Stock: Code 55 flat bottom rail and Morgan Design

Postby billbedford » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:30 am

I believe this rail was intended for third rail conductors, so chairs and insulators are available from the stores.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:41 am

I believe this rail was intended for third rail conductors,
in which case it is in the wrong section of the stores listing.
Do we really sell enough conductor rail to need both n/s and steel versions?
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:52 am

billbedford is incorrect in his assumption. I'm informed that the rail profile for this is different to the rail we sell for conductor rail use.

This is definately a new line (pardon the pun), and so far the only mistake I've made is to call it bullhead, when the label I was supplied clearly stated flatbottom. Quite why my brain did that I don't know.

What's missing, I believe, is data on the actual rail profile, per russ' request, and some concrete details on the older rail products so that it is clear this code 55 flatbottom is indeed different.

Hopefully I can gather all that info today, and provide it here for those interested.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:If it is flatbottom, could you find out the head and foot width.

So I've had a bit of an education about rail today. To answer Russ' question first: the base width is 1.38mm, and the head is 0.65 mm.

This rail has originated from a desire to model various light railways, industrial systems and the like, with a model of the '55R BS rail section', which is apparently common in such places.

David Knight wrote:The code 55 sounds interesting. What size chairs would you use with it, and where could they be obtained?

David posted this question before I identified the rail correctly. To answer more generally about rail fixings, the answer will be 'it depends on your prototype'. At least one option is to spike it to the sleepers, and there are options from sources used by US and continental modellers. There's no plan yet for anything specific from the stores.

There are plans for some brief notes in a future Scalefour News about potential applications, and the rail will also be available via C+L and DD Wheelrwrights (it has applications in the 3.5mm/ft domain). Something to note now is that the narrow head can be loose in some common track jigs, making gauging tricky. DD Wheelwrights gauge (available in the stores) has tapered jaws, so does not exhibit this issue.

The societies 'standard' bullhead rail is code 75 as Keith noted, and I'll adjust the stores listing to reflect that. The 'standard' flat bottom rail has actually been out of stock for some time, and talking to Jeremy it is unlikely to be stocked in the near future. He observed it is widely available elsewhere in the interim. As such, I'll drop its listing in the stores, and put up something descriptive should it return.

The conductor rail remains to be more fully desribed. Jeremy did not have to hand a more detailed spec, but perhaps someone here does? I had a quick trawl of the scalefour news archive, and only turned up the announcement of its addition to the stores.

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:52 pm

John McAleely wrote:

So I've had a bit of an education about rail today. To answer Russ' question first: the base width is 1.38mm, and the head is 0.65 mm.

This rail has originated from a desire to model various light railways, industrial systems and the like, with a model of the '55R BS rail section', which is apparently common in such places.

David posted this question before I identified the rail correctly. To answer more generally about rail fixings, the answer will be 'it depends on your prototype'. At least one option is to spike it to the sleepers, and there are options from sources used by US and continental modellers. There's no plan yet for anything specific from the stores.

There are plans for some brief notes in a future Scalefour News about potential applications, and the rail will also be available via C+L and DD Wheelrwrights (it has applications in the 3.5mm/ft domain). Something to note now is that the narrow head can be loose in some common track jigs, making gauging tricky. DD Wheelwrights gauge (available in the stores) has tapered jaws, so does not exhibit this issue.

The societies 'standard' bullhead rail is code 75 as Keith noted, and I'll adjust the stores listing to reflect that. The 'standard' flat bottom rail has actually been out of stock for some time, and talking to Jeremy it is unlikely to be stocked in the near future. He observed it is widely available elsewhere in the interim. As such, I'll drop its listing in the stores, and put up something descriptive should it return.

The conductor rail remains to be more fully desribed. Jeremy did not have to hand a more detailed spec, but perhaps someone here does? I had a quick trawl of the scalefour news archive, and only turned up the announcement of its addition to the stores.

Prehaps it might be the right time to point to here then http://www.clag.org.uk/crs.html only info i have ever seen having been involved with part of the packing of them in the first place :D

regards

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Trevor Grout wrote:
John McAleely wrote:The conductor rail remains to be more fully desribed. Jeremy did not have to hand a more detailed spec, but perhaps someone here does? I had a quick trawl of the scalefour news archive, and only turned up the announcement of its addition to the stores.

Prehaps it might be the right time to point to here then http://www.clag.org.uk/crs.html only info i have ever seen having been involved with part of the packing of them in the first place :D

Brilliant. Thank you.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:30 pm

The code 55 FB rail is not suitable for 4mm scale conductor rail - although its foot width is a bit better than Peco IL-1, the head width is far too skinny.

Return to “New Products”