London Road Models Cowan Sheldon 42' turntable

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Jol Wilkinson

London Road Models Cowan Sheldon 42' turntable

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:32 pm

New from London Road Models is a Cowan Sheldon 42' turntable. These were used by a number of pre-group companies.
The Cowan Sheldon 42' turntable kit on display on the LRM stand at S4N is now available, the etchers having finally done their stuff according to John Redrup!

Cowan Sheldon supplied the basic turntable unit while the well and a number of other fittings were supplied locally. For example, the handrail supports could have single or double handrails supported on stanchions, angle iron posts, etc. Wells could be stone or brick, with brick, cobble or setts for the paved surrounds. The turntable deck was apparently planked in a variety of ways, so this is also left to the builders choice.

A turntable drive unit is not supplied as there are already a variety of these available on the market.The mainshaft bearings are 1/8" which accepts most units including those based on Meccano gears.

The turntable is therefore supplied as several items;

An etched turntable kit, including turned carrying wheels, mainshaft bearings, etc. - £39.50
A vacuum formed well, with pre-curved rail and C&L chairs - £18.50
(this can be faced with brick or stone embossed plasticard).
Single rail stanchions (pack of 12) - £6.50
Double rail stanchions (pack of 12) - £8.50

CS 42' tt.jpg

LRM CS 42' tt and well.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: London Road Models Cowan Sheldon 42' turntable

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu May 01, 2014 6:26 am

This looks very nice. I wonder how many people will find an excuse to fit one on their layouts. ;)

Jol Wilkinson wrote:The mainshaft bearings are 1/8" which accepts most units including those based on Meccano gears.

Meccano gears were made to fit a nominal 5/32inch diameter axle which is 0.1562 inches although I have used 4mm rod successfully, which is 0.1575 inches. Squires, and probably some other firms, sell a useful range of plastic gears, including worm wheels, which are a tight press fit on a 4mm axle. These have the advantage of being much cheaper than Meccano gears. I have some of the Squires gears in stock for a future project but when they get used they wil be fitted with a boss and grub screw as per Meccano ones and the holes will be enlarged to be a running fit on a 4mm rod. Makes things a lot easier to deal with.

Terry Bendall

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu May 01, 2014 6:49 am

Terry,

thanks for that clarification. I was under the impression from John Redrup, LRM's proprietor, that the Meccano shaft was 1/8" (it's many year since I played with any).

The 1/8" bearing that John uses is 4.0 mm OD, so the etched bearing holes should suit the Meccano shaft with a little "adjustment".

Jol

Brian T

Postby Brian T » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Could this be a warm-up for a 70 foot table by any chance? (hint hint.....)

Brian

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:43 pm

No, but those that want a 50' version may hear something of interest soon.

I believe that a 70' is already available from Metalsmiths, so duplication would seem a bit pointless. They listed both a 42' and a 50' for some time but appear to have only just introduced them, showing that competition works. M Thatcher would be proud.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:24 pm

I believe that a 70' is already available from Metalsmiths,

Well, nobody has told their website yet, for the 70 footer it still says
Kit still under development. Release date and prices to be announced.

This has been the case for at least the past 2 years while the 42', 50' and 60' have been showing as available.
I have been keeping an eye on it in case the 70' was released before I got round to an overhaul of my turntable, to late now the overhaul has been done, using the MERG turntable drive and an update to my original turntable!
Does still need the railings adding though so I might go for the LRM railing.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

tank engine

Postby tank engine » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:42 pm

The 50 ft TT will be on my shopping list thats for sure.
I might use one of those direct drive motors which you attach to the deck spindle.It also uses torqe stablizer arms to stop the motor twisting and turns at about 2RPM.
Thanks for the info.
Derek.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:49 am

London Road Models are about to introduce the 50' turntable, with a "floating" drive system if I correctly interpret what John Redrup has told me. Like the 42' version, a vacuum formed well will also be available.

Return to “New Products”