Rumney Models - New Items for September 2023

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Tim V

Re: Rumney Models

Postby Tim V » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:52 pm

jjnewitt wrote:Firstly Rumney Models is on the move again. The new address is as follows:

7 Hurlingham Road, Bristol, BS7 9BA

Justin

I think I went to a party there in the 80s...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Noel wrote:
Justin, I wonder if it was related to the change in position of the body mounting springs on lot 3082, which were on the internal longitudinals, not the solebars? Lots 3232 and 3275 to the same diagram reverted to external springs but the brakegear sets for one [or both?] of these lots could already have been ordered before that change was decided on. However, this doesn't explain the Vanwides [built three years later], or Darlington's decision to use BR clasp on the one lot of shocvans with internal springs...

The reversion to external springs on lots 3232 and 3275 and consequent longer brake levers does mean that this chassis as pictured only applies to lot 3082. Presumably the longer brake levers are among the alternative parts included?

Noel

Hi Noel,

I can't imagine what they would have needed to change about the brakegear with the change in the spring position. The chassis would have been the same for both the shock absorbing opens and vans and as you say they managed to fit the lot 3117 Shocvans with the standard BR clasp brake. Given the system's similarities with the LMS clasp brake I suspect it was Derby going their own way just as Swindon did on occasions. :)

The chassis pictured does only apply to lot 3082 wagons. The longer brake levers as used on the lot 3232 wagons are indeed part of the alternative parts as are proper Vanwide brake levers.

There were a couple of other uses of the Derby clasp brake in addition to those mentioned above. The 'Izal' palvans had it as did the clasp braked Pipe wagons built in 1961 which I discovered on a recent trip to the Avon Valley. The test etch for the Derby clasp braked Pipe is on my workbench at the moment.

Clasp Brake Pipe.jpg

iak wrote:My wallet has just fainted!!! :thumb

A good time perhpas to take advantage of that 10% discount that you're still entitled to? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Tim V wrote:
jjnewitt wrote:Firstly Rumney Models is on the move again. The new address is as follows:

Justin

Interesting. You'll have to tell me about it next time I see you. :)

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Tim V wrote:

Justin

Those halcyon days of long ago....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Scalefour North is fast approaching and Rumney Models will be there with some new items to tempt you with:

Firstly Plate wagons chassis...

There are three new kits; B.08 covering BR clasp brake new builds (diagram 1/434), B.09 covering BR clasp braked retrofits (ex unfitted diagrams 1/430 & 1/431) and B.27 covering all the unfitted ones. The later kit also includes parts to models the doube bolsters and the Plates converted from them. They are suitable for the Parkside body. All are £15.

IMG_2475.JPG

Kit C.21B and chassis kit B.27 under a Parkside body

... and Plate wagon kits.

Three with welded sides and one fully riveted. C.21A covers the new build BR diagram 1/434 vacuum braked plates (all welded bodies), C.21B covers BR diagram 1/430 & 1/431 types retrofitted with the BR clasp brake (welded sides and riveted ends) and C.21C covers the LMS/LNER and BR unfitted types (welded sides). Kit C.22 covers the delightful fully riveted LMS and LNER vehicles. Provision is included for 3 or 4 hinge doors and riveted/welded ends where appropriate. All are £27 and include chassis and body.

Also freeing themselves from the clutches of my workbench are a chassis kit for the BR diagram 1/119 vacuum braked minerals (for the first 1000 MDVs fitted with the standard BR clasp brake - kit B.06 - £12), the rest of the Bogie Bolster E underframe (basically etched solebars and headstocks to complement the detailing etch - kit C.04A - £5.50) and a little etch for forming the spring brackets and covers on shock absorbing wagons (uses 8BA bolt thread - not included - for the springs - kit B.91 - £2.50).

Phew!

I will have stocks of everything except the Plate wagon bodies at Scalefour North. They didn't quite make the deadline for ordering etches. I will be taking orders for them though for delivery in around 3 weeks time.

For further details see the Rumney Models website. I look forward to seeing some of you at Wakefield and then a rest on Monday! :)

Justin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Did you sort out the axle boxes for the bogie coil wagon?

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Still waiting for "Western" bogies..... ;)
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:56 am

Horsetan wrote:Still waiting for "Western" bogies..... ;)

Sounds like you have been spending too much time on RMweb.

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:38 am

Penrhos1920 wrote:Did you sort out the axle boxes for the bogie coil wagon?

Not yet but a recent reasearch trip has plugged info gaps that I had from measuring them up the first time. I do want to try and get some castings done at some point this year and they are on the list.

Justin

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:38 am

New 4mm scale items are available from Rumney Models to tepmt you with!

Firstly there is a chassis kit for the BR lifting link brake 21T coal hoppers (kit B.28 - £13). These are for welded body hoppers to diagram 1/146. The full open nature of the underframe is captured and parts are included to model either the unfitted or vacuum braked versions. P4/EM only.

21T Hopper - Forum.JPG

Other items include a chassis kit for pre-Nationalisation 20/21T coal wagons (kit B23 - £11). This is designed with the Parkside LNER loco coal wagon and the Dapol GWR N32 Felix Pole mineral in mind.

There is also an open wagon tarpaulin bar detailing etch (kit B.92 - £3). This is specifically for the LMS/BR wooden opens and shock absorbing opens with steel corrugated ends. Sufficient parts are included for two wagons and both early and late type brackets are covered. Etched pins are used to help provide strength where the brackets locate on the wagon ends.

Tarpaulin Bars - Forum.JPG

Sprung Warship bogies are now available (kit D.06 - £24). These are designed around the Bachmann Swindon class 42 model and are P4 only.

Finally in 7mm scale there is the distinctive United Dairies GWR/SR milk tank platforms (kit OA.07 - £12) and associated construction jig (kit OA.08 - £10). Designed to the same spec as the 4mm kit this etch will build into a pair of platforms and includes options for both left and right handed versions. The construction jig is designed to make life a whole lot easier when assembling them.

Further details can either be found on the Rumney Models website or in person at either ExpoEM North or Scaleforum this month.

Justin

Edit: Conflicting terminology corrected.
Last edited by jjnewitt on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iak

Postby iak » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:15 am

Mmmmmmm. Very tasty too.
ExpoEM North has some nice feelons about it -well it is just down the road and over the big ditch..

Wibble :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi all,

There are several new 4mm scale items available from Rumney Models which can be had at Scalefour North next weekend.

First up of is a kit for the BR 1/801 Fish Vans (kit C.51 - £38). These were the final BR fish van diagram built between 1957 and 1960 and were fitted with the BR clasp brake. Many were later used as parcels vans (SPV). The kit consists of an etched brass chassis and body along with a cast resin roof.

BR 801 Fish Van 1.JPG

BR 801 Fish Van 2.JPG

Other items include a chassis kit for the standard 17’6” x 10’ wagon underframe fitted with the LNER clasp brake and BR axleguards (kit B.61 - £11). These were fitted to numerous wagon types in the very late LNER and early BR period including 12T vans, Lowfits and 13T steel opens. Dave Bradwell does a very nice kit for the RCH axleguard version so I see no reason to duplicate it.

LNER Clasp Brake Underframe.JPG

To compliment the LNER clasp brake chassis when used under the LNER/BR 13T steel open is a detailing etch (B.93 - £3). This is to provide new end stanchions to replace those on the end of Parkside bodies making it easier to fit them cleanly onto the Rumney Models chassis. Two profiles are included covering LNER and BR builds and also a drilling jig to make fitting them a doddle. Label boards and LNE style lamp irons also included. There are sufficient parts for 3 wagons.

There are also a couple of etches designed to back date the Parkside Dundas BR steel ended wooden open kit (PC02A) to the earlier LMS D.1892 open with wooden sides and ends. These are for the bodywork only and require the sides from Parkside kit PC02A which are not included. There are two variations covering the standard body (kit C.53 - £10) or those where the ends have been reinforced by replacing the bottom two planks with steel channel (kit C53A - £12). The kits include an etched floor, ends and ironwork along with capping strips. Suitable Rumney Models chassis are available (kit B.12 and B.52). With something close to 16500 built over 3 very similar diagrams no BR steam period layour should be without one!

LMS Wooden Ended Open.JPG

More details and how to order for those not visiting Wakefield next weekend can be found on the Rumney Models website.

Looking forward to seeing some of you next weekend,
Justin

Steve Carter

Re: Rumney Models - New Items April 2016

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:11 pm

More good stuff Justin.

Any progress on the wagon axle boxes and springs you were working on please?

See you at Wakefield.

Steve
Steve Carter

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:49 am

Hi Steve,

Yes some progress. I picked up the test prints from Montpelier sorting office this morning. The axleboxes and shoes for the springs have come out really well. The springs themselves need a little work to get a bit more definition into them but they're getting there. I'll have them at Scalefour North this weekend and will try and take some pictures and post them on my wagon thread when we've got some better light here in Bristol. That might not be today though as it's distinctly gloomy!

Justin

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks for the update Justin. Sounds very promising.

I intend to be at Wakefield on Saturday so will come and see you (I was anyway as I want to buy a B15 wagon chassis kit).

See you there.

Steve
Steve Carter

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - United Dairies & Unigate Milk Tank Plates

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:13 pm

A small summer update from Rumney Models with news of accurate plates for United Dairies & Unigate milk tanks. There are two types of United Dairies plates with different styles of lettering and Unigate plates which include the wagon number on them. All three versions are available in both 4mm scale and 7mm scale.

The United Dairies plates could be seen on wagons from the early 50s right through to the end of milk traffic in the 70s though rather less so after the 1959 merger of United Dairies, Aplin & Barrett and Cow & Gate into Unigate.

4mm United Dairies Type A.JPG

7mm United Dairies Type B.JPG

The Unigate plates are suitable for post 1959 milk tanks. Plates have been etched with numbers for almost every Unigate diagram though not in great quantities. Please enquire before ordering if you are after something specific.

4mm Unigate GWR O.57.JPG

The 4mm plates are £2.50 and the 7mm plates £3.50. The price is per pair and they come already painted.

Also released are wagon coupling hooks to suit my underframes. These are designed to be folded double for a decent thickness and are £1.50 for 7 wagons worth.

For more details see the links in the above text or visit the new Rumney Models website.

Justin

jjnewitt

Re: Rumney Models - September 2016 Releases

Postby jjnewitt » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:21 am

Rumney Models will be off to ExpoEm North this weekend and Scaleforum the following weekend with a bumper crop of new releases!

New Products September 2016.JPG

There will be a full announcement and proper website update on Monday but the above gives a list of the tempting new items available including the long awaited wagon axlebox and spring castings, Bogie Bolster C/Macaw B detailing bits and a loco chassis!

Whitemetal Wagon Axlebox and Spring Castings.JPG

Further details on these including exactly what types are available can be found on the Wagon Castings page of my website. The latest price list (September 2016) is also available to peruse via the Ordering Page.

More details on Monday after I've had chance to catch my breath!

Justin

iak

Postby iak » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:14 am

I venture to muse on how much Sunday in Davyhulme is going to cost me :o :shock: :?
WIBBLE!
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Justin Newitt wrote;

"new items available including the long awaited wagon axlebox and spring castings, Bogie Bolster C/Macaw B detailing bits and a loco chassis!"

Loco chassis...come on, I can't be expected to wait till Monday! :D

Have a great weekend!

Mike

Postby 45609 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 pm

You didn't look very closely at the price list picture Justin posted did you Mike?

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:57 pm

:o :x

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Further to my brief posting on Friday some proper information on the new releases form Rumney Models.

First up is exciting news about a new range of whitemetal wagon axlebox and spring castings for BR era prototypes. They have been produced from the highest quality masters printed for me by Alan Butler at Modelu. The first wave of releases contains 6 different types of axleboxes with both oil and roller bearings types and six types of springs. There are four types of oil axlebox, all for 12/16T prototypes all of which are available with either 5, 6 or LMS 7 leaf J hanger springs. The axleboxes come attached to the springs for ease of fitting and are already slotted for use with sprung suspension systems. There are hooded and non-hooded types of roller bearing that are available with 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 leaf springs. The price is £2.50 for a set of four axleboxes and springs. Further information including product codes can be found on the wagon castings page of my website.

Whitemetal Wagon Axlebox and Spring Castings.JPG

Apologies for recyling the picture I don't have a better or more informative one currently!

To complete the castings part of the new releases whitemetal vacuum cylinder castings are also available. These have been produced from masters made for me by the talented Morgan Gilbert and make use of etched brackets. There are 18” (F.01) and 21” (F.02) types that are available in packs of three for £6. The 21” cylinders are also available singularly with etched brackets for fitting to the end of hopper wagons (F.02A - £2).

There is a new underframe for the BR 1/448 clasp brake Tube wagons (B.54 - £15) and buffer springing mechanisms to suit my 9” (B.93A - £4.50) and 10” (B.93B - £3) underframes. These provide guitar wire springing for buffers in place of conventional coil springs.

BR Clasp Brake Tube.JPG

There are also three types of detailing etch for the Bachmann Bogie Bolster C / Macaw B:

C.05 (£16.50) is an etch that provides detailing and new trussing using brass angle along the same sort of lines as my Bogie Bolster E etch for the Lima model. The brass angle is included (though the etch is available on its own without the angle for £10.50). Full brakegear is included and there are options for GWR D/C brakes, unfitted lever brakes and the two arrangements of vacuum fitted lever brakes. Detailing parts for the solebar and headstock along with bolster shackles are also included.

BBC C04A.JPG

For those that don’t wish to replace the trussing on the Bachmann model there are two sets of levers and vees etches to provide new brakegear and body detailing. Both etches include sufficient parts for two wagons. C.05A (£9) is for lever brakegear and provides options to build either two unfitted or one fitted and one vacuum braked wagon and C.05B (£6) covers the GWR D/C brake wagons.

Last but not certainly not least is a loco chassis for the LNER F/4/5/6 family (X.01 - £32). This was a set of commissioned etches that I am delighted to make available to a wider audience via Rumney Models. It is designed to provide a modern CSB fitted chassis for the Alan Gibson body and incorporates sprung trucks that make use of the CSB wires along with full brakegear, balance weights, ashpan sides, etc. Full details can be found on my Hosted Products page.

LNER F4 chassis - 1.jpg

Detailed info on everything can be found via Rumney Models.

Justin

iak

Re: Rumney Models - Wagon Castings, Bogie Bolster C Detailing & BR Tube Underframe

Postby iak » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:00 pm

I am playing with some of the axlebox/spring castings at the moment. Very impressed and highly recommended.
Whoooosh :thumb
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

jjnewitt

Re: Rumney Models - Wagon Castings, Bogie Bolster C Detailing & BR Tube Underframe

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 am

New Items March 2017

With Scalefour North looming large Rumney Models is pleased to announce another round of new releases. Below is a round up of the new items. Links to the various products on my website can be found via the Latest Releases page. As per usual instructions for certain items are currently being prepared. One day I’ll have them all done before release time comes around but not this year. So to the exciting stuff…

First up are some more additions to my range of whitemetal wagon axlebox and spring castings. Once again they have been produced from the highest quality masters printed for me by Alan Butler at Modelu. The new types cover BR brake van springs along with 7 leaf springs and heavy duty axleboxes for 20/21T wagons. The BR brake van springs are available with BR 2 part, BR Platefront, roller bearing and LNER welded axleboxes. These are also suitable for late build LNER brake vans. The 7 leaf springs come with BR 2 part, BR 2 part square, welded with horizontal lugs, welded with vertical lugs and RCH 2 part axleboxes. The axleboxes on the 7 leaf springs are based correctly on 10” x 5” journal prototypes. In all cases the axleboxes comes attached to the springs for ease of fitting and are slotted on the back for use with sprung suspension systems. The price is £2.50 for a set of four axleboxes and springs.

BR Brake Van Springs.JPG

7 Leaf Springs.JPG

The next couple of releases mark a foray into the wonderful world of oil tank wagons. There is a new completely open underframe for the Bachmann anchor mount tank wagons (B.71 - £15) which also includes a choice of ladders and an etched valve wheel for detailing the body. This is specifically a 14T underframe with BR axleguards and includes everything you would expect from a Rumney Models release. For those who feel like tarting up the Bachmann anchor mount tank without going to the extent of replacing the underframe there is a detailing kit (B.106 - £4) which includes ladders and valve wheel along with brake levers and lever guards. The detailing kit is sufficient for 2 wagons. Note that you do not need the detailing etch if you buy the underframe and it is my intention to do something similar for earlier cradle and saddle mounted tank wagons in the near future.

Anchor Mount Tank 3 - 1200.JPG

There is also a new underframe for the BR built 13T china clay opens (B.30 - £10). These are intended for the Ratio kit but will also suit the Bachmann body. To complement the underframe and make fettling the ratio body easier there are replacement end stanchions (B.107 - £3). This will provide sufficient stanchions for 6 wagons.

There are a couple of other small detailing etches. These cover BR built Shocopens (B.104 - £2) which includes capping and strapping strips along with label boards and lamp irons and the Ratio LMS van (B.105 - £1) which provides the diagonal strapping found on these wagons in BR days along with label boards and lamp irons.

There is also a general wagon detailing fret (B.108 - £3). This has been made available due to several requests and includes all the little detailing parts that can be found on Rumney Models underframes such as number plates, lamp irons, swan neck vacuum pipe brackets and label boards for adding to RTR and kit wagons. There are enough parts to cover 3 or 4 wagons on the fret. Note that you do not need this fret if you are building wagons with Rumney Models underframes as the parts are already included.

Lastly are some new items in 7mm scale. My BR tarpaulin bar fret (OB.92 - £7) has been reworked for the larger scale. As per the 4mm version there are sufficient parts for two wagons and both early and late types are covered. A pair of etched Grampus baskets (OB.109 - £9) is available to replace those in the Parkside kit. These will be coming in 4mm in due course. Also there is a detailing fret for wagons fitted with RCH 12’ lifting link brakegear (OB.110 - £12). This includes replacement brakegear, vees, brake levers and lever guards as well as items such as 21T hopper door handles and end steps along with 21T mineral wagon door springs. It is intended to detail the Parkside BR 21T hopper and Grampus kits but can be used on others. Finally a detailing etch covering vacuum brakegear parts for BR 21T hoppers (OB.111 - £2). This provides items such as vees for the vacuum cylinder cross shaft and links as well as vacuum cylinder brackets for turning the Parkside 21T welded hopper into a vacuum braked example.

Finally, a note that I have created a Future Plans page on my website. This list items which, for one reason or another, I have decided to make available only once there is sufficient interest in them. If there is anything on there that you would like to see available then please let me know. Also note that these are all items for which the development work has been completed to my satisfaction, once there is enough interest they will go into production. Also note that I don’t intend to market everything in this way, just items that I am unsure will cover the costs of bringing them to the market.

I look forward to catching up some of you in Wakefield next weekend.

iak

Re: Rumney Models - Wagon Castings, Anchor Mount Tank Wagon Parts & Detailing Bits

Postby iak » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Those axleboxes are very tasty looking Justin. :thumb
The detail etches should certainly go down well with the wagonistas.
Sunday beckons, health permitting...

Slàinte
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Return to “New Products”