Rumney Models - New Items for September 2023

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
jjnewitt

Rumney Models - New Items for September 2023

Postby jjnewitt » Thu May 30, 2013 6:50 pm

As some of you may well know I have been recently developing a number of etches for things like BR 8 shoe clasp brake wagon underframes, sprung milk tank chassis, milk tank detailing parts and sprung diesel bogies. I have now got to the point where the website is up and running. Everything that is now available to order and ordering details are on there as well as news of forthcoming items such as fully sprung single bolster coach bogies which are under development. Have a look there maybe something of interest.

www.rumneymodels.co.uk

Milk Tanks - F.JPG

Clasp Chassis - F.JPG

Regards

Justin

Edit: Title change
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jjnewitt on Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Jan

Re: Rumney Models

Postby Jan » Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Well done, Justin. They look very nice. I'll be keeping an eye out for your take on the Morton'd minerals...

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Thu May 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks Jan,

Work is in hand for the Morton brake chassis. I've part built a 17'6" x 10' example but I need to find a better way of doing the push rods. I'll do another set of test etches at the beginning of August with a few alternative methods and finalise a solution I'm happy with.

Justin

iak

Postby iak » Fri May 31, 2013 10:56 am

Well I'm writing out an order now so.... :thumb
Best wishes with this venture Justin 8-)
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Fri May 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks iak,

I shall look forward to recieving an order. :)

Justin

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Oh dear. Now I'll have to work out what diagram ADW2592 was and what modifications it had had bestowed upon it in 1977. I've had the kit for a long time but haven't had the courage to build it having not been able to work out how to give it CSBs.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri May 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Oh excellent....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:07 am

Penrhos1920 wrote:Oh dear. Now I'll have to work out what diagram ADW2592 was and what modifications it had had bestowed upon it in 1977. I've had the kit for a long time but haven't had the courage to build it having not been able to work out how to give it CSBs.

Out of curiosity I did a search for ADW2592 and found this lovely picture. It also came up in a thread I started on RMweb and someone posted a nice colour picture. The vehicle is an ex United Dairies GWR O.39 and, aside from a repaint, doesn't look to have recieved any modifications. It was built as part of lot 1585 in March 1936. It's the same diagram as my platform fitted GWR milk tank:
Milk Tank Platforms 3.JPG

Justin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iak

Postby iak » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:46 pm

jjnewitt wrote:Thanks iak,

I shall look forward to recieving an order. :)

Justin

Sent this morning by pigeon post, or is it stagecoach..... :thumb
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:47 pm

iak wrote:Sent this morning by pigeon post, or is it stagecoach..... :thumb

I shall leave the window ajar and listnen out for the sound of horse shoes on the cobbles! Or the sound of the cats going mental because a pigeon has flown in. ;)

Justin

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Justin
The wagon chassis look superb (as expected :) ) - are they designed to match any particular RtR bodies or (laudably) models of their prototypes? I suppose I'm thinking particularly of the Iron Ore wagon but the others would be of interest too.
Rod

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 pm

newport_rod wrote:Justin
The wagon chassis look superb (as expected :) ) - are they designed to match any particular RtR bodies or (laudably) models of their prototypes? I suppose I'm thinking particularly of the Iron Ore wagon but the others would be of interest too.
Rod

Hi Rod,

The wagon chassis have been designed with (mainly) Parkside bodies in mind rather than RTR examples but they are all to scale. The kits that I have built from the Parkside stable are commendably acuate with regards to length over headstocks. Of course with an awful lot of clasp braked prototypes (and an awful lot of Morton braked examples) there was a clear distinction between body and chassis and so the exact length over headstocks isn't vital. As you've alluded to though the iron ore tipplers had stanchions at both ends that extended down onto the headstocks which does make the length vital. I don't know about the Bachmann bodies but the Parkside one is exactly 66mm over headstocks (I did check before etching the chassis) as it should be. This is the same with the sand tippler chassis. This is designed with the Red Panda mouldings in mind which again are exactly 66mm over headstocks. I should probably put a note about all this on the website.

I generally prefer to use bodies from plastic kits for various reasons (cost and ease of adaption mainly. The last is important for open wagons as I like to make lead floors to weight them) and as such I have very few RTR bodies waiting for chassis. The only RTR models I do have are when there is no suitable kit in existance. This doesn't seem to happen very often as the RTR boys seem intent on duplicting the kits available rather than doing something different!

Justin

iak

Postby iak » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 am

Received my order this morning and well worth the wait.
Justin they look splendid - seems a shame to cut the etches up and put them together. :D
The winter months beckon methinks.
Mind, having seen what other goodies one has and plans to release :thumb

Sláinte
IAK
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi IAK,

Glad they got to you ok. I sometimes think that about etches, they almost need framing. That would deprive you of most the fun though!

For anyone who hasn't seen the website in the past few weeks there are a few new items available to order.

The coach bogies are available. These are fully sprung single bolster affairs available in five types initially: BR1 and Commonwealth for the Mk1s; GWR 7', 9' heavy duty and 9' Pressed Steel. I have arranged the suspension so that it is the same whatever the wheelbase, including the 7' version. They will therefore all behave the same way no matter what the type. I have also done the ends to look like the prototype which is particularly distinctive on the Commonwealth and GWR 9' Pressed Steel bogies. Prices are £12 per pair and inculdes springing wire and pins for the bearing points on the bolsters.
GWR Pressed Steel Bogie F.JPG

The Wagon chassis range now includes the first of the Morton brake types. There are two 17'6" over headstock 10' wheelbase chassis, one with RCH and one with BR W-Irons. The specs are the same as the BR clasp brake types and include open ends for shoc opens and vans and door springs for both shoc opens and ordinary opens. The first of what will be several mineral wagon chassis is available in the form of the BR Morton brake welded 16T type, intended for 1/108s and similar. There is also an additional etch to modify this chassis to the mid sixties vacuum braked conversion type.
Morton Chassis 2 F.JPG

The BR 42T Strip Coil is also now available.
BR 42T Strip Coil F.JPG

As IAK mentioned there are lots of things under development including more mineral wagon chassis as alluded to above. These will cover both Morton and Independent braked chassis for welded and riveted types. The following picture is of the test etch for the BR Independent brake welded 16T mineral type. I updated the side support brackets to better represent the prototype and they now look like the T section they should. It make soldering the vertical part in place much easier as well! These changes were also incorperated onto the clasp brake mineral chassis artwork before they were etched.
16T Independent Welded Mineral F.JPG

16T Independent Welded Mineral Chassis F.JPG

Further details and prices can be found on the Rumney Models webpages.

Justin

iak

Postby iak » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:57 pm

The second delivery of the various Morton type brake gear chassis etches has arrived and is as tasty as the first; now to get the time to build the blighters... :D

Ta very much Justin!

The standards of service and product are excellent - BRAVO :thumb

Mind if one wants to see one of the chassis' getting built?
Check this link out; yes its an EM build but it show the way for the wagon chassis addict in need of a new "fix" 8-)

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/an-em-workshop-an-advanced-16-tonner-vacuum-brake-and-lots-of-shoes.1995/page-8#post-79059
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Kinda offtopic, but why are Western Thunder's pics so absurdly small?

iak

Postby iak » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:Kinda offtopic, but why are Western Thunder's pics so absurdly small?

Eh??? Seem big enough on my screen? :?
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:Kinda offtopic, but why are Western Thunder's pics so absurdly small?

I got that when I looked on that forum. I can only surmise that you only get to see the big pictures if you your a member and signed in which is a little frustrating.
Justin

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi all,

Firstly Rumney Models has moved. The new address is as follows:
3 Admiral Close, Stoke Park, Bristol, BS16 1WN

Lots of new products have been released recently to tempt you with! These include lots of wagon chassis for things such as:
Riveted and independent braked 16T minerals.
16T Mineral Wagon.jpg

12’ wheelbase 21T & 24 1/2T unfitted mineral wagons (to suit the Parkside kits).
21T Mineral Wagon.jpg

9’ and 10’ wheelbase unfitted iron ore tippler chassis.

There is a kit for the 42T bogie Strip Coils in their original pre-1955 wood lined days and also a detailing/upgrade etch for the Lima bogie bolster E body.
Bogie Bolster E.jpg

Further details can be found at Rumney Models.

Finally Rumney Models will be attending its very first exhibition on the 12/13th April when I will be at Scalefour North in Wakefield. I will have my test build models available to view, including some items in the pipeline; answers to any questions you may have and goodies to purchase! Cash only I’m afraid for this one. Please drop by the stand and say hello if you’re going to be there.

Justin

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:55 pm

You've probably thought about this before, but would Brassmasters brake rigging work on your Western sprung bogie?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Justin,

I now have 5 x Lima bogie bolster E...is it possible to bring 5 of your etches for same to Scalefour North (bogies included please).

Dave

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Tor Giffard wrote:Justin,
I now have 5 x Lima bogie bolster E...is it possible to bring 5 of your etches for same to Scalefour North (bogies included please).
Dave

5 put aside for you. No bogies I'm affraid as I don't do my own.

Horsetan wrote:You've probably thought about this before, but would Brassmasters brake rigging work on your Western sprung bogie?

Possibly but it's lot of money for just a set of brakes...

Justin

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 am

Firstly Rumney Models is on the move again. The new address is as follows:

7 Hurlingham Road, Bristol, BS7 9BA

I have three new wagon chassis that are now available to order:

There are two kits for the distinctive LMS clasp brake chassis as found under various vans, opens, Medfits, etc with either BR (kit B.51) or RCH (kit B.52) axleguards. Both kits include alternative parts to enable the chassis to be built for Shockopens and Conflats with their non-standard brake lever arrangement.

LMS Clasp 2.jpg

There is also a kit for the Derby clasp brake chassis (kit B.53). This was something of a curiosity and was to be found under only a handful of wagon types. This kit released covers the standard 17’6” x 10’ chassis as used under lot 3082 and 3232 Shocopens and, more importantly, the production Vanwides. Alternative parts are included to enable all three types to be modelled correctly. For the first time you can now correctly model a Vanwide!

Derby Clasp Brake 2.jpg

The system’s origins in the LMS clasp brake are clear but there were a host of differences. Most obvious are the brake shoes, the asymmetric nature of the clasp brake hangers and the arrangement of the links around the main brake cross shaft. Quite why this system appeared when all other vacuum braked wagons of the period were being built with the BR clasp brake is anyone’s guess! The following diagram illustrates the differences:

Derby BR and LMS clasp brake drawing 2.jpg

All three kits cost £12 each. Further details can be found at Rumney Models

Finally Rumney Models will be at Scaleforum at the end of the month. I will have my test build models available to view, including some items in the pipeline; answers to any questions you may have and goodies to purchase! Cash only please.

Justin

iak

Postby iak » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 am

My wallet has just fainted!!! :thumb
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:07 am

jjnewitt wrote:Quite why this system appeared when all other vacuum braked wagons of the period were being built with the BR clasp brake is anyone’s guess!

Justin, I wonder if it was related to the change in position of the body mounting springs on lot 3082, which were on the internal longitudinals, not the solebars? Lots 3232 and 3275 to the same diagram reverted to external springs but the brakegear sets for one [or both?] of these lots could already have been ordered before that change was decided on. However, this doesn't explain the Vanwides [built three years later], or Darlington's decision to use BR clasp on the one lot of shocvans with internal springs...

The reversion to external springs on lots 3232 and 3275 and consequent longer brake levers does mean that this chassis as pictured only applies to lot 3082. Presumably the longer brake levers are among the alternative parts included?

Noel
Regards
Noel

Return to “New Products”