Dorset Barns - book

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Tim Hale

Dorset Barns - book

Postby Tim Hale » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Definitely not scalefour or even railway related but invaluable for rural tyros who wish to accurately capture the local venacular buildings- in this case Dorset Barns. Lots of not-too-arty images and some background history including the development of moden farming storage buildings in Dorset.

As I am attempting to do the local landscape proud, I found the book to be very useful and well worth the full price which is a not unreasonable £20.00 from The Dovecote Press ISBN 978-1-904-34987-7.

Tim

Tim V

Re: Dorset Barns - book

Postby Tim V » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Good find Tim, there isn't enough written on vernacular architecture.

I'm currently reading "The English Cottage" written in 1942.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:42 am

Tim V wrote:Good find Tim, there isn't enough written on vernacular architecture.

I'm currently reading "The English Cottage" written in 1942.

Breweries. There definitely isn't enough reference material available on breweries.

Extended study of beer is a prerequisite of modelling in my world ;-)

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 am

So how's the brewery model coming on? I hear that it needs even more extensive research. Perhaps leaving the pub to go to the brewery might be a start....
Tim V

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Speaking of Brewery's, here is a photo of Mike Watts' model in S scale...
He is a local Toronto area LSWR modeller.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Flymo748 wrote:Breweries. There definitely isn't enough reference material available on breweries.

Extended study of beer is a prerequisite of modelling in my world ;-)

Flymo

I agree heartily. On "Burford", there are four pubs and a brewery, the latter combining the buildings from two adjoining breweries. Another building (adapted to represent a fictitious blanket mill) also turns out originally to have been....yet another brewery. The layout definitely has a rather beery ambience.

The real town of Burford did have one small brewery, but I felt at one time that I was in danger of turning my imaginary version of the place into Oxfordshire's answer to Burton-onTrent!

My wife reckons my real hobby is modelling vernacular buildings, to which railway modelling is purely ancillary. She may have a point.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:49 am

Tim V wrote:So how's the brewery model coming on? I hear that it needs even more extensive research. Perhaps leaving the pub to go to the brewery might be a start....

We had a very nice lunch with a bunch of friends in the Hall & Woodhouse brewery in Sturminster Marshal over the Christmas period. We've also done the brewery tour there, which was interesting as they are/were still using a lot of the traditional equipment like kettles for the hops.

Still, there's always the opportunity for more research, particularly now the winter ales are in season.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:29 am

Well there's a surprise!
Tim V

Return to “New Products”