Mr Mint's mint gauge

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Russ Elliott

Mr Mint's mint gauge

Postby Russ Elliott » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 am

This is a note on protocol more than a 'new product' itself.

When I was dashing out of Scaleforum on Saturday a few minutes after closing time, Roger Sanders told me he would be giving the Society rights to produce his mint track gauge. Not having any official Society hat on, I advised him the best contact to inform of his decision would probably be depchair@, and that would leave the committee's internal machinery free to decide if and how to progress the matter. (Presumably Roger collared me because I liaised with him at the time of the gauge's initial manufacture many years ago.)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Mr Mint's mint gauge

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:This is a note on protocol more than a 'new product' itself.

When I was dashing out of Scaleforum on Saturday a few minutes after closing time, Roger Sanders told me he would be giving the Society rights to produce his mint track gauge. Not having any official Society hat on, I advised him the best contact to inform of his decision would probably be depchair@, and that would leave the committee's internal machinery free to decide if and how to progress the matter. (Presumably Roger collared me because I liaised with him at the time of the gauge's initial manufacture many years ago.)

Hi Russ,

Thanks for doing that, and for passing on the message.

As you'll have seen from the production in the last twelve months of the turnout filing jigs, the Putteronas, RTR Class 25s, and last but not least the Scalefour Mugs, the Committee is extremely receptive to doing all that it can to make P4 modelling easier.

So I'm sure that we'll be able to do something to enable production to continue of what is a very useful gauge.

Cheers
Paul Willis
(the afore-mentioned depchair@)
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 pm

I seem to have missed out somewhere

what is a mint gauge?

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:34 pm

It's a machined rectangular block with two ridges set at the track gauge dimension, and acquired the moniker 'Bendix Mint'.

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:49 pm

The same sort of thing as the block gauge part of D D Wheelwrights crossing alignment aid then, Russ?

Noel
Regards
Noel

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm not familiar with that particular D D Wheelwrights item, Noel. Given my single experience with his triangular track gauge, which I returned to the Stores as not fit for purpose, I don't intend to either.

My reservations about the Mint gauge concern its application area. Its length provides full GW for sure, but that brings us to the long-standing argument about whether GW should be applied through the vee. (The conventional ~30mm length of gauge is a compromise setting.) Having said that, I know a lot of people love their Mint gauges, and they're probably very useful at the toe end of a turnout.

Both items are checking gauges rather than constructional ones IMO.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:12 am

Philbax wrote:I seem to have missed out somewhere

what is a mint gauge?

003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:....acquired the moniker 'Bendicks Mint'.

I think I was to blame for originating that one.....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “New Products”