MRJ Binders

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
nf.newling

Re: MRJ Binders

Postby nf.newling » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:13 pm

I've been looking to bind my set so it looks like I am up for the full 26 (I agree - 10 to a volume)

Ian White

Postby Ian White » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 pm

I would like a full set (26) as well so please add them to the list if I'm not too late.

I can't work out from previous posts as to whether these were ever made available for BRJ, LMSJ or GWRJ? I have a complete set of all of them, so would really like to be able to get matching binders.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:13 am

26 for me please

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 am

26 for me then please.

John

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:46 am

Just a note to say I'm still waiting to hear from Modern Book Binders on a quote for the binders. Therefore, anyone who has declared interest since my last message is not too late. The good news is that the larger the order (hopefully) the cheaper the cost per binder...

Thanks,
Alastair

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:07 am

Will the company post them out to the individual addresses? It would be a big job to get lumbered with and they should be set up for it. I assume the quantity requirement is for the manufacture rather than the delivery.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Alastairr wrote:Just a note to say I'm still waiting to hear from Modern Book Binders on a quote for the binders. Therefore, anyone who has declared interest since my last message is not too late. The good news is that the larger the order (hopefully) the cheaper the cost per binder...

Thanks,
Alastair

Alastair,

please increase my order to 10.

regards

Alan

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:30 pm

I would also be interested in enough for a complete set, using the sensible suggestion of 10 issues per binder, plus some for the future please.
I would expect that to be 30 (26 to cover those issues to date plus another 4 years).
Thanks for looking into this Alastair.
Once you have a price I assume you will need a firm commitment?
Thanks
Steve
Steve Carter

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Do we have any feedback as to whether the society stores might consider stocking binders? It would seem to be both a very useful addition to stock carried and given the degree of interest might generate income to boot?

If a binder was to be available for purchase for both the MRJ and Scale Four News, I for one would certainly look to buy as an when required, and if the outlay was for a single binder at a time I would think a reasonable profit margin for the society would not raise hackles.

Initially perhaps to get the ball rolling a large order could be put through to cover current requests with bulk order discounts?
Tim Lee

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:Do we have any feedback as to whether the society stores might consider stocking binders? It would seem to be both a very useful addition to stock carried and given the degree of interest might generate income to boot?

If a binder was to be available for purchase for both the MRJ and Scale Four News, I for one would certainly look to buy as an when required, and if the outlay was for a single binder at a time I would think a reasonable profit margin for the society would not raise hackles.

Initially perhaps to get the ball rolling a large order could be put through to cover current requests with bulk order discounts?

Hi Tim,

It's being actively discussed amongst the Committee at the moment. The big issue (if you'll excuse the pun) is storage space for stock not yet sold. You'll appreciate we already use half of Jeremy's house for the Scalefour Stores, and these will be a different proposition to (say) a new range of etched underframes.

On the Scalefour News front, I'd independently done something a few weeks ago, which I'll keep a veil over for now, but will make known once I've sorted out one or two quotes.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:58 am

Alastair,

please amend my order from 5 to 8 if possible.

Thanks,

Jol

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Alastairr wrote:Just a note to say I'm still waiting to hear from Modern Book Binders on a quote for the binders. Therefore, anyone who has declared interest since my last message is not too late. The good news is that the larger the order (hopefully) the cheaper the cost per binder...

Thanks,
Alastair

Hope I'm not too late, but I'm down to my last one, so would like another 6 if they are still available please.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am

Any news on these please?
Steve Carter

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Steve,

No, not yet.

I've just a couple of PM's on this so owe you all an update.

I have a quote from Modern BookBinders but I haven't put the order in. To be honest Christmas was not the best time for a not insignificant amount of outlay from myself to order a very large number of them - you are looking at £1500+. Let alone the process of distributing a large number of boxes of them to everyone. The whole order became larger than I originally thought it would be - bear in mind I don't even need any binders myself! I had hoped the Society might be able to help but it's not looking likely at the moment.

Now Christmas is out of the way I can look to finalise the order again with the supplier. Unless anyone wants to volunteer to take this on?

Thanks,

Alastair

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:54 am

When I did it, I got all the money in from prospective purchasers before I placed the order and paid Modern Bookbinders (and I made sure that I included sufficient for post and packing - you'll need boxes and I found that a courier offered the best transport deal). There's no reason why you should be out of pocket, even if only for a short time. Organising this and then packing the binders and sending them all out is both labour and time intensive and, especially if you aren't needing any binders yourself, I think it only fair that you should get at least something for yourself out of it. Or, as you say, someone who is needing the binders could take it over......

DT

nf.newling

Postby nf.newling » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am

i certainly do not wish you to be at any risk of financial liability. I can confirm my order and would expect to pay up front to any account you nominate. Can you yet determine a price, including distribution cost? Would it be suitable to put these transactions through the society accounts?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:35 pm

I think it may be worth asking the binders if they will send out the orders directly so there is no packing etc needed on your part.
They must have the facilities and I would think the minimum order issue only relates to the manufacture.
If they can do this then collect the money from all of us and send to them with the mailing list.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm

They already make the binder we want - but in Blue and obviously with no embossed name. They therefore must be set-up to ship these binders out.

I would have thought for a £1500 order they would be only too willing? Perhaps if they would put it on their web site we could just order from them in the normal way.

regards

Alan

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:41 pm

The binder we are talking about is green with "Model Railway Journal" in gold down the spine - there are pictures of it on Page 3 of this thread. It was specially commissioned and is not available to the general public and does not appear on the manufacturer's website. It is not held in stock but is produced to order - a minimum order of 50 is required. I doubt very much that the manufacturers would be prepared to ship out orders directly to those who want them but there is of course no harm in asking.

DT

David B

Postby David B » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:10 pm

How much do these binders cost?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:36 pm

I doubt very much that the manufacturers would be prepared to ship out orders directly to those who want them but there is of course no harm in asking.

They do that routinely for their website orders and must have the shipping facilities, better to pay them a little extra to do it than have the trouble and expense of doing it at home.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 pm

It wouldn't actually have to be all that little. If I remember correctly I charged everyone about £7 for carriage (you could probably get it a bit cheaper now). If Modern Bookbinders would do it for something in that region no-one would be out of pocket and Alastair would have things a lot easier.

DT

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 pm

David B wrote:How much do these binders cost?

The blue binders I refer to above are £7.50 each.

Regards

Alan

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:37 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
I doubt very much that the manufacturers would be prepared to ship out orders directly to those who want them but there is of course no harm in asking.

They do that routinely for their website orders and must have the shipping facilities, better to pay them a little extra to do it than have the trouble and expense of doing it at home.
Regards

Let's get realistic why wouldn't they? We are ordering 200 binders.

Regards

Alan

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Alan Turner wrote:The blue binders I refer to above are £7.50 each.

But they, of course, are not the MRJ binders which, back in 2012, worked out at rather less. No doubt prices will have gone up since then, of course.

DT

Return to “New Products”