MRJ Binders

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Martin M

Re: MRJ Binders

Postby Martin M » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:34 pm

Steve you have a pm but I am interested in 5 if that helps

Martin M

multivac

Postby multivac » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:38 pm

RedDragon wrote:I have received a response from the manufacturer of these binders. They will be £6.00 each based on a batch of 50 units. They will be in green outer with Model Railway Journal gold block foiled along the spine, I have sent images of the last ones they produced I have to hand and they should be the same, however I cannot guarantee this of course.

I hope the interest is still there and look forward to you confirmation by PM

SteveT

PM sent expressing interest

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:28 am

I don't know how far the process have placing orders has gone. I'm afraid that I'm not in the market for some, as I reckon that I still have fresh binders for another eight years or so of the MRJ :-)

But whilst noodling around the web on the subject, I was saddened to find that Celsur have gone bust. They were the original producers of the MRJ binders.

https://www.celsur.co.uk

I do think that the MBB ones are very smart, and much the better choice. I wish you all the very best with taking it to fruition.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

multivac

Postby multivac » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:03 pm

Is there an update on the MRJ binders?

Martin M

Re: MRJ Binders and Snooze binders

Postby Martin M » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:10 pm

I am still interested too....
How do people keep there snoozes too is there a recommended binder for these too

Martin

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: MRJ Binders and Snooze binders

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:08 am

Martin M wrote:I am still interested too....
How do people keep there snoozes too is there a recommended binder for these too

Martin

Hi Martin,

I keep my copies of Scalefour News in their own run of grey binders. These are plastic covered, with a dozen or so plastic strips inside to slip the News under:

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6912.JPG

I also keep my copies of the Great Eastern Railway Society Journals in a similar set, but coloured in an approximation to GER Ultramarine :-)

The only problem for me is when stocks run out. As you will see from the second photo, these came from Celsur Plastics. A couple of posts earlier in this topic, I pointed out that they were in liquidation. SO I'm afraid that is rather a dead-end.

The positive thing is that there will be alternatives out there. Modern Book Binders look a decent alternative. I may try them in future, when it becomes necessary.

Best wishes,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.5522models.co.uk

Martin M

Postby Martin M » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:42 am

Paul modern book binder looks good to me thanks for suggesting it.

Martin

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:22 pm

So, returning to the subject of MRJ binders I have done a quick calculation as to whether an order is viable or not.

Reading through the posts in the recent discussion, I arrive at an interest level of:

Martin M - 5
Steve Tooley - 8
Nigel Newling - 8
Paul Townsend - 5
Keith Norgrove - 2

David Southam - "some"
Tim Lewis - "some"
Michael Prince - "some"
Francis Knight - "some"

So a firm indication of 28, which isn't enough to make up the minimum order size. But four members who are keen but for whom the order size is unknown.

If people would like this project to go ahead, then shout up and say "nay" or "yay", and if "yay", how many. I'll collate the names and numbers, and declare a result on (say) 28 February, to see if it is worth going ahead with an order. If it gets to around 48 or so, I'll chip in a couple of orders to restock my own reserves.

So let me know :-)

Best,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:30 am

5 please

nf.newling

Postby nf.newling » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:04 am

That is a yey from me still at 8.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:14 am

Well, I had committed to 2 of these by PM as requested, and the PMs were read. But I am not on the list!
Am I the only one in that position?
Anyway I still want them.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:34 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:Well, I had committed to 2 of these by PM as requested, and the PMs were read. But I am not on the list!
Am I the only one in that position?
Anyway I still want them.

Morning Keith,

Ah. but the PM wasn't to me ;-)

I felt that there was a risk that this was going to fall into abeyance, so carpe diem and all that. I just did a quick count of what was shown and totted that up. If we hit critical mass, then it's just a matter of deciding who puts the order in.

I'll add you to the tally post, and we can keep an overview there.

Best,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:50 pm

Paul Willis wrote:Ah. but the PM wasn't to me ;-)

Since it was SteveT who asked for the PMs, they went to him. :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

timlewis

Postby timlewis » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:43 pm

As far as I know there is an order already in hand thanks to Steve T (Red Dragon). I ordered 10 via that route and I believe they'll be delivered late February. How many more he ordered (and for who) I don't know, so I don't know how many on the list above are already accounted for.

Tim

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:39 pm

timlewis wrote:As far as I know there is an order already in hand thanks to Steve T (Red Dragon). I ordered 10 via that route and I believe they'll be delivered late February. How many more he ordered (and for who) I don't know, so I don't know how many on the list above are already accounted for.

Tim

Hi Tim,

And therein lies the rub... Steve hadn't said anything on the Forum that an order had been collated and was taking place. Hence when multivac asked a few days ago what was happening and got no response, I assumed that the idea had fallen into abeyance.

Steve has also let me know off-Forum that all is in hand, in which case I shall shut up and go away ;)

The last thing that I wanted to do was to duplicate effort. I just didn't want members to miss out because of that final step of getting things across the line :-)

So to sum up: I'm not, Steve is, as you were!

Best,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Postby 45609 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:26 pm

Paul Willis wrote:Steve has also let me know off-Forum that all is in hand, in which case I shall shut up and go away ;)

I'm just a bit perplexed by the lack of communication. I sent a PM to Steve Tooley (Red Dragon) also asking for 3 binders. My PM was read but there was no reply. This is the first indication, Paul, that I have of a status and why not directly to the requestors? Perhaps a reply to those that contacted him is needed?

Cheers…Morgan
Last edited by 45609 on Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:57 am

Ditto for my 5

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:35 am

And my 2. :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Postby 45609 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:58 am

In the interests of trying to get an update on this for everyone, including myself, I've sent another PM and email message to Steve today. My two previous messages were unanswered so I'm hoping he will be kind enough to reply here and let us know the status. In other words

1. Has everybody's request for binders (publicly or privately) been incorporated in the order that Paul tells us is "in hand"?
    2. When we need to pay?
    3. How we take delivery?

I accept there may be a different answer for the latter two questions for each individual but at least a confirmation on question 1 would be a good start.

I should say that I'm probably not alone in thanking Steve for being willing to co-ordinate this. We do appreciate it.

cheers...Morgan

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:42 pm

First apologies for the lack of communication on this thread, shortly after requesting expressions of interest in taking on a limited supply and having made a commitment with the supplier I came down with COVID which I have really struggled with.

This turned out to be a far more complicated exercise than I originally imagined not to mention the time it would take and the amount of financial outlay I would have to make in the first instance before recovering multiple payments. So I proceeded with an order for just over 50 pieces that were committed to by 4 persons including myself and these are about to be delivered in the next few days I am informed by the supplier and this does not have any requirements for me to split down the delivery and repack them then get them over to my nearest post office.
Of those that expressed interest there was inevitably those that did not wish to pay the unit cost never mind the shipping costs advised by the manufacturer. In some case the shipping cost would have almost doubled the cost of the order for those only ordering 2 or 3 binders, something out of my control of course. As Paul Willis indicated in his earlier mail, there are those that say they will commit but when asked to quantify will only say ‘some’, this just will not work if you do not wish to be left exposed with product that you cannot sell, a position that I and I expect no-one else would be prepared to take the risk with.

I have learn’t a lesson with this and would not take on so lightly such an exercise again. I suspect there are few others who would commit to this either, there was certainly no-one else rushing in to move this forward when I decided to get involved.

I remember the last time someone from the society committed to purchase a large batch of MRJ binders, somewhere along the line one purchaser was left short and there were many many e-mails to those that received there’s asking to check if they had more than they paid for. I do not know if this ever got resolved but there is always such risks that I am not prepared to leave myself exposed to.

So in conclusion, I am truly sorry that there are a number that will be disappointed in not receiving binders, but there has to be genuine commitment and intention to pay whatever is the going rate if they truly wish to purchase product that someone has tried to help with supply of.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:50 pm

RedDragon wrote:I am truly sorry that there are a number that will be disappointed in not receiving binders, but there has to be genuine commitment and intention to pay whatever is the going rate if they truly wish to purchase product that someone has tried to help with supply of.

Well, I committed by PM when I was asked to, and I would expect my commitment to be considered genuine as it was not queried. That commitment was IMHO clearly a commitment to pay. I would have paid in advance if asked but there was no such request.
Sorry to hear that you had a bad bout of COVID and I hope you are fully recovered.
But I would really like to hear now whether my commitment resulted in an order or not then I can close the issue.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:08 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting the update for the benefit of everyone. I'm sorry to hear that you've been clobbered by Covid. A work colleague of mine had it badly a couple of months ago, and she is still only working three days a week after coming back. It's a long recuperation.

Having organised two batches of Connoisseur GER tram locomotives for Society members, I also know how much cat-herding can be involved in a project like this. As you say, there is the up-front costs, and the distribution effort involved.

That said, it sounds like there is demand/need for a second batch. Therefore I'm willing to step up and organise that batch, or at least as the first step determine if we collectively have "critical mass" for an order. As I mentioned before, I would pick up the slack of a couple of extra binders to get the order volume over the line.

So as a first step:

- can Steve confirm who are the three people apart from himself who will be getting binders from the first batch? Or those three people shout up themselves, if they are reading...

- if anyone else is interested in binders (and I suspect that includes Keith and a couple of others who have contacted me off-Forum), then let me know.

I will maintain a public list of the order status for a second batch, so we all now where we are.

Thanks again Steve, for the initiative, and over to the rest of the membership...

Best wishes,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:53 pm

Assuming I didn't get onto Steve's list, 5 for me please

Paul Willis
Forum Team

MRJ Binders - master list for second batch

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:57 pm

As mentioned by me, I'll maintain a list of members who may want MRJ binders from a second order. Which will be ordered and managed by me, with thanks to Steve (RedDragon) for organising the first batch.

So far, I have...

- Paul Townsend 5
- Morgan Gilbert 5
- Neil Smith 2
- Steve Duckworth 5
- Keith Norgrove 3
- Nigel Newling 5 (if not in first order)

Running total: 25 binders

Either post a reply here (which is most useful for transparency for others to participate) or PM/email to me if you'd prefer.

Best,
Paul
(not one of life's natural organisers)
www.5522models.co.uk

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:53 pm

Hi Paul

Can you put me down for two please?

Thank you!

Neil

Return to “New Products”