MRJ Binders

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Alan Turner

Re: MRJ Binders

Postby Alan Turner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:11 am

David Thorpe wrote:
Alan Turner wrote:The blue binders I refer to above are £7.50 each.

But they, of course, are not the MRJ binders which, back in 2012, worked out at rather less. No doubt prices will have gone up since then, of course.

DT

yes different colour and no writing but actually they are the same size being American 280mm x 215mm.

regards

Alan

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 am

Alastairr wrote:. The whole order became larger than I originally thought it would be - bear in mind I don't even need any binders myself! I had hoped the Society might be able to help but it's not looking likely at the moment.

Now Christmas is out of the way I can look to finalise the order again with the supplier. Unless anyone wants to volunteer to take this on?

Thanks,

Alastair

I have spoken to our cousins at the Scale7Group. They are prepared to make their stores facilities available for this. This will enable purchase by PayPal and Credit/Debit card.

If that is of interest please let me know.

regards

Alan Turner

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:59 am

OK it seems that the offer of the Scale7Group to take over the ordering, distribution and payment for these Binders has generated no interest.

I will pass this on to the Group.

regards

Alan

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:20 pm

My interest is in buying a few, if and when someone organises it as seemed to have been on offer. If the S7 group gets involved, presumably some of them may also like binders, that's fine by me. And if it gets Alastair out of a job that has grown way beyond what he expected, so much the better.
All I need is confirmation that it is a goer, a price, and where to send the money.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Ill take a few

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Alan Turner wrote:
I have spoken to our cousins at the Scale7Group. They are prepared to make their stores facilities available for this. This will enable purchase by PayPal and Credit/Debit card.

If that is of interest please let me know.

regards

Alan Turner

Alan,

Does this offer mean that the Scale7Group might hold stock of the binders and it would therefore be possible to buy one or two at a time via Paypal/card as and when required or funds permit.

If this was the case I would certainly use such a facility, even if the individual binder cost were more expensive.

Regards

Tim
Tim Lee

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Back in November, Paul (Flymo) said that the issue of binders was being actively discussed by the S4Soc committee with a view to possibly stocking them in stores. Did anything ever come of that? It seems to me that about 200 binders are now wanted and that, with respect, people are rather taking Alastair for granted in that he is going to have to do all the work in sending them out when he doesn't even want any himself - I suspect that he never thought demand would be anything as high as it is. I did wonder therefore if the S4 Stores might not buy 250 (they're cheaper at that point) and could satisfy the existing orders at a price that would give the S4Soc finances a slight boost, with 50 or so left over to satisfy future orders - I bet they'd fly off the stand at Scalefour North. I hope I'm not treading on Alastair's toes in suggesting this as he's obviously been doing the work so far, or Jeremy's for that matter as he might not welcome having to pack up all the orders!

DT

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:47 pm

and that, with respect, people are rather taking Alastair for granted in that he is going to have to do all the work in sending them out when he doesn't even want any himself

That's a bit unfair David,
Firstly we were responding to an enquiry from Rod followed by an offer from Alastair, who at that stage said he would want some himself.
Secondly as the numbers involved have become clear we have suggersted two alternatives to limiting the workload on Alastair,
one to ask the binder supplier to do all the shipping,
second to allocate the entire task to the S7 group.
From my viewpoint there is no hurry, the magazines are not going anywhere.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:34 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:
and that, with respect, people are rather taking Alastair for granted in that he is going to have to do all the work in sending them out when he doesn't even want any himself

Firstly we were responding to an enquiry from Rod followed by an offer from Alastair, who at that stage said he would want some himself.
Secondly as the numbers involved have become clear we have suggersted two alternatives to limiting the workload on Alastair,
Regards

Just to let you all know the Committee is discussing this as an Agenda item in tomorrow's meeting...

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:38 am

Flymo748 wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:

Regards

Just to let you all know the Committee is discussing this as an Agenda item in tomorrow's meeting...

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman

A joint venture of sorts with S7 ? ... if they can provide storage.
Tim Lee

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:52 am

Please could you let me know the outcome of that discussion Paul. We can make a call on what to do following that.

I'm conscious that I have offered to help people and haven't delivered this as yet. As intimated, the scale of this was larger than I originally anticipated - Modern Book Binders do standard payment terms so the problem isn't one of finances, more of my free time and logistics.

MBB will not post to individual's. I requested that and got a firm no.

I'm also in the midst of finishing (or helping the boss as much as I can :D ) the organisation for my own wedding in a few months so plenty on the plate at the moment. Oh, and some modelling at some point...although you would be amazed at the skill-set overlap with making your own wedding invitations.

Anyway, here is the updated total list:

Alan Turner 10
Andrew Ullyott 6
David Bigcheeseplant 10
Essdee 5
Ian White 26
John Donnelly 26
Jol Wilkinson 8
Keith 5
MikeH 5
NF Newling 26
Paul Townsend 26
Paulhb 23
Red Dragon 10
Rod Cameron 10
Steve Carter 30
Trevor Grout 5

Grand Total = 231

I'd have to order 250 at least to maintain some balance I think.

Thanks,

Alastair

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:32 am

If I remember correctly from my own experience of doing these, ordering 250 will work out at little if any more expensive than ordering 231.

DT

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Alastair,

Thanks for the update -and please increase my order from 5 to 10, many thanks.

Cheers,

Steve

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Please put me down for 10 binders too.

And thanks for organising this :thumb
James Dickie

My workbench

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Flymo748 wrote:Just to let you all know the Committee is discussing this as an Agenda item in tomorrow's meeting

And was a decision reached?

DT

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:09 pm

David Thorpe wrote:
Flymo748 wrote:Just to let you all know the Committee is discussing this as an Agenda item in tomorrow's meeting

And was a decision reached?

DT

Hi David,

A decision was reached. We discussed the matter at quite some length. Ultimately the decision was taken Scalefour Stores would *NOT* stock the MRJ binders as a product line.

There were two reasons for this:

- firstly, the volume which it would require to stock them on an ongoing basis. Storing boxes of binders is not something Jeremy has the space for, as they are a different proposition to axleboxes or track gauges in size.

- secondly, the Committee felt the postage charge for sending out binders on an ad hoc basis would be a deterrent to sales. The cost for sending out a single binder would be in the region of £4. Multiple binders would be proportionately more - as discussed below. They are not a convenient size and shape to fit within Royal Mail's postage bands.

I'll have a conversation with Alastair about how to take forward this bulk purchase for which he has been collecting orders. As a recap from those who may not have participated last time looking back through the thread, the key elements seemed to be:

- £4.62 per binder
- £7.37 per order for postage
- money paid up front, which took 3-4 days to come in
- delivery after 4-5 weeks of placing the order.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks Paul. I think it's a perfectly understandable decision by the committee.

DT

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:14 am

Morning All.

Final call for numbers before the order is confirmed with the supplier. If you would like to amend the quantity you have requested this is the time to do it.

Alan Turner 10
Andrew Ullyott 6
David Bigcheeseplant 10
Essdee 10
Ian White 26
John Donnelly 26
Jol Wilkinson 8
Keith 5
MikeH 5
Morgan Gilbert 30
NF Newling 26
Paul Townsend 26
Paulhb 23
Red Dragon 10
Rod Cameron 10
Steve Carter 30
Trevor Grout 5
Wizard of the Moor 10

Final costings yet to be determined - I can't determine the binder cost or the postage until I hear from MBB and determine the best means of postage.

Thanks,

Alastair

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi Alistair,

Can I up my request to 26.

Many thanks for doing this for everyone. From my point of view very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Paul Bannerman

nf.newling

Postby nf.newling » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Just a thought - could we use area groups to pool postage and act as distribution centres? I note, for example, that the BS4 area group members are providing a significant chunk of the order.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks Alastair, I'll stick with my original 5.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks Alastair.
Your efforts are much appreciated.
I'll stick with 6.
Andrew

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Alastair,

Can I increase my quantity from 10 up to 14 pieces please.

SteveT (Red Dragon)

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Many thanks Alastair,

I will stick at 10 binders, thanks.

Steve

Ian White

Postby Ian White » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:17 pm

I would like to up my order from 26 to 30 please.
Thanks Alastair.
Ian

Return to “New Products”