Track gradients

allanferguson

Track gradients

Postby allanferguson » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:56 pm

I am contemplating a new wee layout, which will involve some, possibly steep, track gradients. I'm unsure what would be workable (a) for mainline trains, and (b) for freight (minerals) climbing to an industrial site up a mountain. I have some idea of the gradients to be found on the real railway, but I would be grateful for any experience of what is workable in 4mm / foot scale.

Allan F

bobwallison

Re: Track gradients

Postby bobwallison » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:38 pm

I used to run 7-coach trains behind a converted Hornby Black 5 and 30-wagon trains behind a converted Hornby 8F. Both were fine with a 1:75 gradient on a gentle curve, but the Black 5 struggled when that gradient coincided with a 1m radius curve. It was OK if one took a run at it, but slipped a lot from a standing start.

As for mineral lines up mountains, could you set up a test track on a plank of wood and carry out some practical trials? Lots of fun to be had there, I suspect. Hopton incline on the Cromford and High Peak Railway was 1:14 and the maximum load there seemed to be about three wagons - even then the driver had to take a run at it.

Bob

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:21 am

Highbridge model has 1:40 partly on 4ft radius curve.
Castle pulls 7 carriages OK, Pannier takes 30 wagons too.

The only problem trains were hauled by Manors with over-engineered and inefficient Perseverance chassis.... rice pudding jobs so chassis re built to CSB and now fine.

Mind you my heavy CMX rail cleaner does challenge all steam locos soneeds a diesel to do the job Yuk!

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:08 am

Paul Townsend wrote:Mind you my heavy CMX rail cleaner does challenge all steam locos soneeds a diesel to do the job Yuk!

Mine does that too but on the flat!

The gradient on brettell road is 1 in 50 but the trains aren't long and its as good as straight anyway.

Something Keith mentioned a very long time ago is that unless your gradient is very long you might find that not all of the train is on it at the same time. A full length train with only half of it on the gradient will be affected by said gradient the same as one half the length but is all on the it.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:57 pm

Forge Mill Sidings has a fierce gradient down to the mill and on a 2' radius curve or thereabouts. The Austerity tank and fly shunt negotiate it ok as does a 4F dead slow.
Kirkcliffe Coking Plant was built on a steady gradient rising an half an inch along the mainline over about 12 feet. The sidings were level.
Ordsall will be built on the prototypical gradient.
Swanage as my oldest P4 layout was flat despite the prototype rising at 1in 300 from the platform end.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Operating in Practice”