End to.end compromises

Noel

Re: End to.end compromises

Postby Noel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:56 pm

John Donnelly wrote:I'd thought of doing the same with one the fiddle yards on Pelton Level and had considered some form of automated traverser with a camera and a screen at the control position but haven't given it much more thought than that...

I seem to remember that Peter Denny had automated fiddle yards on the Buckingham branch back in the 1960s? The system even rang bell codes for arriving trains...
Regards
Noel

mickeym

Re: End to.end compromises

Postby mickeym » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:23 am

martin goodall wrote:Take a look at Chris Nevard's Catcott Birtle layout - a simple (but very attractive) through station fed by a sector plate fiddle yard at each end (4 roads each, allowing 7 trains to pass through the scene before the sequence is repeated - you need one free road in one of the fiddle yards at any one time).

I can't remember the dimensions, but this information can no doubt be found on Chris Nevard's own website.

This layout always struck me as both visually attractive and interesting to watch. I don't think the length of the fiddle yards at each end was ever an issue.

The scenic part is, I think, 5' by (about) 16")

I'm a great fan of the "bitsa station" approach, from Llanastr to its further developments....

This particular idea (originally done by Ken Gibbons in EM as New Quay ) here shown in Warners back catalogue http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13897
always strikes me as the ideal way to have long modern trains in half (or less) of the space needed :)

Return to “Operating in Practice”