RCH rules and agreements

Guy Rixon

RCH rules and agreements

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Does anybody know if the text of the RCH operating agreements can be got on-line? I'm thinking of things like, but not limited to, the common-user arrangements for wagons, and the rules for returning empty wagons before common-users rules applied. All I've read of these arrangements is third-hand accounts written by and for modellers and I'd like to see the originals documents if possible.

Googling, I found the NRM's list of RCH documents (http://www.nrm.org.uk/~/media/Files/NRM/PDF/archiveslists2012/businesses/Railway%20Clearing%20House%20archive%20list%20Publications.pdf), which is all maps and tables and not the contractual agreements; but the NRM's introductory page says "In addition the RCH produced Books of Rules, which are kept at the NRM in the Rule Books collection." Doesn't appear to have this on-line and I'm not in a position to go to York to look it up.

I also found traces in the on-line index of the National Archives. Looks like entry RAIL 1084 "Railway Clearing House: Deeds, Agreements, Contracts, Specifications, Estimates, Plans" (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C1022) has the information but it's 10 volumes of papers so not readily searchable without going to Kew.

BTW, I looked up Crown Copyright which probably applies to these records, and it seems to lapse 50 years after publication of a document or 125 years after creation if the document is not published. Given that RCH rule books were published, it should be OK to put the older ones on the web if anybody has them.

dal-t

Re: RCH rules and agreements

Postby dal-t » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Guy,

I can't give you a definitive steer on this, but to keep your optimism up until someone else comes along who can, I know I read substantial extracts from the RCH agreements many years ago, well before t'internet brought such delights into everyone's living room. So they certainly are (were) available, and I only wish I could pin my memory down with more exactitude, to recall the specific circumstances of my encounters. I have the feeling - though fully expecting to be slapped down idc - that they were bound volumes, and I was probably 'sneaking' a look while ostensibly engaged on other, officially sanctioned, research. Sadly I stowed the info I gleaned in 'interesting stuff to come back to', then never did, nor do I to my knowledge have any notes from the experience. But I do recall that the level of detail was fascinating, and pretty exhaustive, which suggests it probably was the 'Books of Rules' and not just statutory schedules I was reading.
David L-T

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:18 am

guyrixon wrote:I looked up Crown Copyright which probably applies to these records, and it seems to lapse 50 years after publication of a document or 125 years after creation if the document is not published. Given that RCH rule books were published, it should be OK to put the older ones on the web if anybody has them.

"Published" means made available to the public. My impression is that documents of this nature had limited circulation and often had some sort of rubric on the cover such as - "For the use of the company's servants only" (sometimes actually including the words "Not for publication")

I confess that I am now thoroughly out-of-date on the actual rules of copyright (i.e. the length of time that particular copyrights run). These have changed considerably in the past 25 years or so.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:07 am

guyrixon wrote:BTW, I looked up Crown Copyright which probably applies to these records, and it seems to lapse 50 years after publication of a document or 125 years after creation if the document is not published. Given that RCH rule books were published, it should be OK to put the older ones on the web if anybody has them.

Yes, but most of the stuff in the National Archives is available with an Open Government Licence

Return to “Operating in Practice”