A Prototype Short Train

jayell

A Prototype Short Train

Postby jayell » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 pm

In 'The Bridport Railway' are two photographs of a weed killing train at West Bay in 1938. The train consists of 55XX pannier tank no 5521, three surplus loco tenders and Engineers Department brake van no 403353, the spray control is mounted on the front of the leading tender but will presumably be at the rear of train for the return trip since there is no way to turn the complete train.

No doubt most of you know about this type of train which cannot have been unique to the Bridport branch but it was new for me and thought a replica of it could be used on most if not all models of GW branch lines. I don't know enough about GWR tenders to be able to identify the type and cannot photocopy the pictures to publish here due to copyright, nor can I identify them from pictures I've found on line.

Hope it will be of interest to someone.

John

Noel

Re: A Prototype Short Train

Postby Noel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 am

John, if you can obtain a copy, have a look at plates 328-330 of J H Russell's "Freight Wagons and Loads in service on the Great Western Railway and British Rail Western Region" [OPC 1981]. This shows what is probably the same train and a close up of the spraying plumbing. The train consists of a pannier tank, three tenders, a Cory's Fuel Oil tank, a PW brake [40353, not 403353, but presumably the same as the one in your photo?] and a modified traffic brake, 35615. The consist is a bit different, but presumably includes the same stock as in your photo. I suggest that the tenders are possibly two Dean 3000 gall and a Churchward 3000 gall [the slightly larger one with the spray] but am not sure.

I would question your identification of the loco, though - 5521 was a 2-6-2 side tank of the 4575class.

Noel
Regards
Noel

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:55 am

Noel wrote:I would question your identification of the loco, though - 5521 was a 2-6-2 side tank of the 4575class.
Noel

a typing error gave the wrong van number, it is as you say 40353.

With a magnifying glass I can just read the number plate and it is 5521, so the caption identifying it as a 55XX is in error.

I'll see if I can borrow that book at the library

John

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi all,

5521 is not a 'was' but 'is', it's the Flour Mills small prarie that was used in Poland and currently masquerades in a fake London Transport livery.

Tony Comber

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:02 pm

I guess we will never see it at West Bay again though!

At the time of the photo she was a Taunton engine and a regular on the Minehead branch - she was one of the 4575/55xx that were fitted with automatic token catchers for working on the MInehead and Barnstaple branches and the fitting can be seen on the cabside. The regular engines for working the Bridport branch were supplied from Weymouth shed.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 am

johnlewis wrote:I'll see if I can borrow that book at the library

John

Hi John,

Two emails with scans of the weed-killing trains are on their way to you :-)

And thanks for the pages that you sent me yesterday.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:56 am

Flymo748 wrote:
johnlewis wrote:I'll see if I can borrow that book at the library
John

Hi John,
Two emails with scans of the weed-killing trains are on their way to you :-)
And thanks for the pages that you sent me yesterday.
Flymo

I checked my usual second hand book supplier (Abe Books) and the prices listed there are much the same as the ebay one so it is going to be yet another inter-library loan request I think. I am not averse to buying books but I need too many :cry:

John

Return to “Operating in Practice”