Lighting junction boxes: useful for layouts?

Guy Rixon

Lighting junction boxes: useful for layouts?

Postby Guy Rixon » Thu May 04, 2017 11:24 am

Recently, I had to wire in lights to my wife's art-studio. She wanted a series of light fittings fed from one lighting circuit and operated from one switch. This needs a junction box with an unholy number of wires crammed in to it, and I hate wiring those things, so I decided to ease the pain by buying an evolved form of junction box.

This is it: http://www.surewire.co.uk. The attraction for me is that each wire has its own connector and it's obvious where everything goes. The attraction for sparkies placing wiring in a ceiling void is that it's maintenance free and meets current wiring codes (old-style junction-boxes without cable restraints are now illegal in ceiling voids as they are deemed to need regular inspection).

However, it's just occurred to me that this might have a use in layout wiring. It has power-in and power-out connectors - so one can chain them together between boards. It has a light-switch connection, with switched and un-switched leads and this could possibly be a place to attach a controller. It has 7 connectors for lights, controlled by the switch, that might correspond to DCC feeds to track. All the connectors are rated to 16A. Is this possibly useful in a layout, or is it just a little too specialized?

Return to “Electrics”