DCC Power supplies, warning, was Yet Another silly question!!!

steves17

Re: DCC Power supplies, warning, was Yet Another silly quest

Postby steves17 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:33 am

Its all good now. A Newport member kindly walked me through my electronics ABC's, I'll be fine now. Thanks for the patience guys.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Good, glad you are sorted.

But, I agree with the comments higher up the thread by Alan about sticking with equipment sold by a DCC dealer specifically to work with your chosen system (not some device for use on another hypothetical system for the future). Then it will work, nothing will go "pffftt", nothing will overheat, etc... There are too many basic electricity misunderstandings in this thread to feel comfortable about advice outside of "buy what the dealer recommends".

- Nigel

steves17

Postby steves17 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Ta Nigel.
It turns out my worries about power drop over the layout were unfounded as even at full planed expansion- wouldn't be demanding anywhere near what i might of initially thought. I now understand the difference between power being fed into the unit vs its output and only the amount of power being drawn by the decoders etc is drawn off of that. I went with the Maplins transformer that was suggested a few posts back, should arrive the next day now and think my TOU- similar to Flymo's beer and buckjumper thread version, will work. IF the lambing is quiet tonight, I might get a chance to operate it by hand- then will see about operating it properly.
I know it took a while to filter through my thick skull, despite the amount of advice given, but I think i'm away now- will report on the result when i get to try it out.
Regards.
Steve

steves17

Postby steves17 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Well everyone you'll be pleased to hear i just got my unit working. I did order the Maplin's transformer and received two confirmations of the order- one was even a separate letter. After a long weight, it still hadn't arrived. Chasing it up I found a second e-mail saying it was no longer in production. Instead I did what I wished I had done from the start- brought the official transformer. It comes with multiple settings. Reading the manual properly this time, I could see its recommended to be put on the minimal 12v setting and the unit on N scale output- provided it runs satisfactorily. Got my P4 14xx to go back and forth even over the D connected board- so I finally got there. Cheers for the help.
Got a shot with an unfinished Oliver conversion and two P4 trucks and a bolster wagon. Toad at the back is still in OO- I've got a working starting point at last. :thumb

And here he is in a mock shot with Toby.Image

Return to “Electrics”