Small quantity of Circuit board wanted

jayell

Small quantity of Circuit board wanted

Postby jayell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:02 pm

I need to add four LED street lights to my gt-grandson's layout and have this circuit to follow

LEDLightingon12v-1.jpg

I am thinking the simplest way to connect a resistor to the LED lead is to use a small square ( approx 1"x1") of single? sided circuit board with the 12 volt power leads also soldered on. I can glue the bits of circuit board to the underside of his layout and use a surplus AC-DC adapter which outputs 12 volts @ 1.5 amps as the power source.

I have done several searches looking for something suitable, ie Maplins, Radiospares etc, but with no luck. I am hoping therefore someone has some surplus board lurking in the depths of a 'maybe useful oneday' bin they can pass on to me, thanks in anticipation ;)

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Small quantity of Circuit board wanted

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:10 pm

If you have a neighborhood Maplins go in and buy piece of stripboard, http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/stripboard-fl17t ie pcb with copper strips and holes, cut off pieces as needed, with 3 strips and 3 holes per strip you can connect up just as shown in your circuit, one per lamp, or you could just put all the resistors on one piece and run leads out from there to all the lamps.
Much easier to use stripboard for this than plain pcb.
If you don't have a local Maplins buy from CPC as they don't charge postage on web orders.
http://cpc.farnell.com/vero/01-0021h/vero-board-121x102mm/dp/PC00046?Ntt=PC00046
You could get resistors at the same time, suggest at least 1K, probably better with 1K5 or even 2K. 470R will be very bright.
Keith
How far apart are your lamps? I could easily assemble a board with 4 resistors and suitable connectors from my scrap box.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jayell

Postby jayell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks Keith

I had a look in Yeovil Maplins last week but couldn't find anything like you suggest, but perhaps I wasn't looking for the right thing. I already have resistors as they were supplied with the street lights.

could you send me enough to make four boards 1 or 1.5 inches square please

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:08 pm

I'll sort something out during the week.
regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:37 pm

I have found a suitable offcut, let me have your address and I'll mail it out.
Use the email link over on the right hand side.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jayell

Postby jayell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:I have found a suitable offcut, let me have your address and I'll mail it out.
Use the email link over on the right hand side.
Regards
Keith

address sent, thanks

John

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Hello Keith,

The piece of circuit board arrived a short while ago, plus some bits I wasn't expecting :)

I didn't know those solder in terminal posts even existed such is my lack of knowedge of 'modern' techniques. They will make it much easier to wire up the 4 lamps with no under-baseboard soldering involved.

I owe you a few beers even if providing them will have to wait until ScaleForum2014

Many, many thank from me and from gt-grandson Coby (in advance as he doesn't yet know he will be getting some street lights on his layout)

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm

They will make it much easier to wire up the 4 lamps with no under-baseboard soldering involved.

What I thought ;) And the terminals were sitting in the surplus box.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:07 pm

[quote="grovenor-2685" What I thought ;) And the terminals were sitting in the surplus box.[/quote]

How can I acquire a surplus box? :D

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 pm

As time passes they just seem to appear, starts as a box, becomes a cupboard, then a loft at which point you know its serious and needs attention. :D
Rgds
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:32 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:As time passes they just seem to appear, starts as a box, becomes a cupboard, then a loft at which point you know its serious and needs attention. :D
Rgds
Keith

And takes weeks to even start to make any headway to clear just the rubbish :shock:

just the model railway constructors and other magazines equals a pile nearly twofoot tall....

regards

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:31 pm

I suppose I would have a 'surplus'box if I'd not cleared everything out when my mother-in-law came to live with us and the house was re-designed internally to give her effectively her own flatlet. The integral garage was split up and the bigger part became our computer room and the smaller part became a downstairs toilet.

The garage, during our ownership of the house, was never used for car storage and both our cars were kept outside on the drive. We had two cars as we both needed one for our full time jobs. The first thing I did when we moved in was to partition off the garage to create a workshop, to house my 3'5" Warwick lathe, a 1/2" bench drill plus a Unimat SL and a couple of watchmakers lathes with the outer part being a bike store.

I had a steam loco under construction, a Tich that never got finished for various reasons and I did lots of clock repairs and had plans to build a clock, the unimat had been equiped with a dividing device for (clock)wheel cutting.

All that came to a sudden end when I realised I couldn't fit all the workshop equipment and the five bikes I had a the time into a 10x8 garden shed. So sold the 'big' lathe locally along with lots of accessories I'd made and loaded the rest of the workshop into my V70 and took it to PennyFarthing Tools in Salisbury and said 'what will you give me for this lot'

I realise now I got probably less than half what it was really worth but at the time I didn't have too many alternatives, we needed the space and quickly. I ended up selling a couple of road bikes and a track bike as well so had only my two mountain bikes to fit into the garden shed along with the usual gardening clutter.

So most of what would now be my surplus box ended up at the local tip. I do regret selling the Unimat and the watchmaker lathes and most of the 'precision' hand tools as I have had to start buying them again :cry:

I don't even have a bike today, I had a bad tumble riding down hill too fast and ended up with a broken collar bone and a crushed vertebrae and never really got over that, plus we moved to Yeovil just over four years ago only to find it a bit of a mountain biking 'desert' with almost no off road trails. I don't really enjoy riding on public roads so my cycling slowly declined.

But it isn't all doom and gloom as I discovered P4 and who knows where that will take me ;)

John

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 am

I have learnt over the years that a workshop' like Topsy, 'just grows'. I have a great deal of bench space in my loft room, but stuff has gradually spilled over onto every other surface. Originally there was to have been a layout up there, with quite tight curves, but it seems that has been laid to rest with the prospect of twice the space in a purpose built garden building. Well, that's the idea, and my wife is very keen to turf me out of the loft which will then become her domain, in which I will be just be allowed to have office space! We shall see what the year brings.

I do still have my Unimat SL, and despite its limitations it proves to be very useful, and even if I would to upgrade sometime, I would probably still hang on to it for smaller jobs.

Philip

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:49 am

Phillip you are quite right any horizontal surface allows for new clutter to take over.... It seems any surface 100mm wide or larger becomes a ledge for any thing! only when the ledge takes on a non horizontal status does the "stuff" move onto the ned clearest part... in the same way that if you have a work bench you no matter the size you end up working in a space about 200mm x 300mm... long and large enough for any vehicle you are working on! :evil:
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

jayell

Postby jayell » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:44 pm

I finally found enough time to make up my 4 mini-circuit boards (3 actually as one had already been done for me by Keith). I don't seem to have bridged tracks with solder, and there is continuity where it should be.

I used the Lidl iron and found it clumsy compared to my original 15W Antex one, that however needs a new mains cable before I can use it again :cry:

So thanks again Keith.

Next job will be to assemble them to the gt-grandson's layout but no idea when we will be going to Dorchester next.

John

Return to “Electrics”