Checking a Pentroller?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Checking a Pentroller?

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Anyone know a way of doing this?

I <ahem> appear to have blown mine up. Or at least it seems very dead at the moment. It may just be sleeping...

TIA
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

martin goodall

Re: Checking a Pentroller?

Postby martin goodall » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:53 pm

When my Hand-held Pentroller (not the 'Rambler' version) began to malfunction, I made enquiries in much the same way as Flymo, but was driven to the conclusion that there was really no alternative but to replace it.

I got the nearest equivalent - the Hand-held PicTroller from Malcolm Smith. It's not cheap, but has turned out to be even better than the Pentroller it replaced.

Malcolm does a panel-mounted version of the PicTroller as well. I think Flymo may find that a new PicTroller is the best option.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:31 pm

I thought you had gone DCC Paul?

Why bother with outmoded DC controllers that can't be replaced?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 am

Tim V wrote:I thought you had gone DCC Paul?

Why bother with outmoded DC controllers that can't be replaced?

Hi Tim,

I have indeed gone DCC for finished locomotives. The need for a 12V DC controller is for testing part-built chassis, and in this particular case whether a motor is shorted out. I've had some intermittent running from the locomotive in testing, and even having removed all of the pick-ups as possible shorting points, I'm still not happy with it.

I have an old ECM that can be hooked up for this purpose as well, and if the Penroller really is dead than that will serve equally well. Failing that, a 9V battery stolen from something around the house!

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:01 am

martin goodall wrote:When my Hand-held Pentroller (not the 'Rambler' version) began to malfunction, I made enquiries in much the same way as Flymo, but was driven to the conclusion that there was really no alternative but to replace it.

I got the nearest equivalent - the Hand-held PicTroller from Malcolm Smith. It's not cheap, but has turned out to be even better than the Pentroller it replaced.

Malcolm does a panel-mounted version of the PicTroller as well. I think Flymo may find that a new PicTroller is the best option.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the thoughts. It does confirm what I was thinking about the non-serviceability of these.

I do have a back-up DC controller, and as this is only for testing purposes I'll pull that into action. The quality of the Pentroller was really overkill for just checking that the wheels go around!

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:09 am

Actually for chassis testing I prefer a very basic H&M resistance mat controller as the fancy electronic controllers compensate for chassis faults. While this is good when running in public, but when your trying to get all the wrinkles out of chassis, you don't need a controller that is varying the voltage without your say so.

Will

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Will L wrote:Actually for chassis testing I prefer a very basic H&M resistance mat controller as the fancy electronic controllers compensate for chassis faults.

I still have my trusty H&M Safety Minor, but the resistance mat was beginning to show signs of wear quite a few years ago (so that turning the control knob did not necessarily give smooth acceleration or deceleration). Hence the purchase of a Pentroller (and, more recently, a PicTroller).

However, the transformer still provides the AC input for the controllers used on the layout, plus a fixed 12v DC supply for the electro-magnets. Even the controlled 0-12v DC output has been pressed into action for the smoke unit for a bonfire! This last application came about when original installation of the smoke unit produced an effect that resembled the erupton of Vesuvius. Applying a lower (variable) voltage to the smoke unit provided more of the smoulderng bonfire effect that I had intended.

I suppose this H&M unit, now past its 50th birthday, will give up the ghost eventually. A replacement transformer from Gaugemaster was purchased several years ago as a precaution, but there are some very small neat transformers available on the market now that are no bigger than a 13-amp plug.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I use a H&M Powermaster for testing, as Will says, the Pentroller (and DCC) can hide loco faults.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Flymo748 wrote:Anyone know a way of doing this?

I <ahem> appear to have blown mine up. Or at least it seems very dead at the moment. It may just be sleeping...

TIA
Flymo

I wrote that a couple of months ago...

I suppose I should say that the first check should be a visual one!

Whilst putting the allegedly broken Pentroller and its transformer back in its box (which I'd borrowed for something entirely different) I happened to glance at it. And noticed the broken joint where one of the wires should have been soldered onto the DIN plug...

A quick dab of the iron, and after hooking it up to my test board, my Portescap powered Buffalo tank happily trundled back and forth :-)

I'm now very glad, and a few quid better off, that I didn't junk it immediately!

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:06 pm

So much for P4 modellers and observation ... <g>
Rod

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:So much for P4 modellers and observation ... <g>

In my defence, the broken joint *was* inside some heatshrink that I had put over each of the connectors to protect them from accidental shorting.

It was only, so to speak, when it fell off in my hand...

Cheers :-)
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 am

Flymo748 wrote:
Rod Cameron wrote:So much for P4 modellers and observation ... <g>

It was only, so to speak, when it fell off in my hand...

Observation and the quality of P4 workmanship. All in one neat package :-)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 am

John McAleely wrote:
Flymo748 wrote:It was only, so to speak, when it fell off in my hand...

Observation and the quality of P4 workmanship. All in one neat package :-)

Cheeky so and so!

OTSONeatPackages, I understand that you've now raised your head at SLAG? Does this mean that you won't be joining us at CHEAG tonight?

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 am

Flymo748 wrote:I understand that you've now raised your head at SLAG? Does this mean that you won't be joining us at CHEAG tonight?

I have indeed. So, yes, I will not be CHEAG'ing tonight. Being in SLAG will take a bit of getting used to - they meet weekly!

Return to “Electrics”