Which controller?

David B

Re: Which controller?

Postby David B » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:49 am

Crikey, chaps. I have been out of touch for a couple of days and the thread has expanded somewhat!

Paul's point at the beginning was a good one, so something like my H&M would still be preferable. It does buzz & hum a lot which worries me. I had actually built my test track to be compact with a simple volume switch and a dpdt switch, powered by a plug in 12v transformer. The chap at Maplins was extremely patient and wrote it all down for me to follow. However, it wasn't very successful, making noises I wasn't comfortable with. You are dealing with someone who has what amounts to a phobia about his electrical knowledge, here. If I could get it to run on batteries with two wires, I would! Chris Langdon's article (25 years ago!) is rather beyond me, though something to fit in my little box on the test track would be nice.

Test track_2615.jpg

The channel takes a tender but also has a buffer height gauge at the end. The wooden block slides on the track to accommodate a bogie or pony truck. The whole thing is 15" long.

As for the running track, I think the Pictroller is the answer with an off the shelf transformer.

Thank you for your input, all of you. Much to think about.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martin goodall

Re: Which controller?

Postby martin goodall » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks to Jol for that welcome reassurance, and for details of traders who can currently supply controllers.

I have more or less decided to go for the top-of-the-market option and get a hand-held PICtroller (£60 + £3 p&p), but if anyone has any observations about this controller, I would be interested to read their views.

Return to “Electrics”