Further DCC AJ Couplings

nigelcliffe

Further DCC AJ Couplings

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:45 pm

Some months ago, I fitted a loco with an AJ coupling which was controlled by its DCC chip (press button to uncouple).

I've now done a wagon, video is on the blog site below. At the moment the chip is not fitted below the wagon, my next step is to add pickup wires to the wagon wheels.

The wagon is another "test mule"; the real use of a wagon with DCC controlled uncoupling is probably brake vans or other stock which needs to be regularly detached. I guess the front of a regular train could also be useful.

The biggest obstacle to usability is current DCC throttles. Calling up the address of a wagon to uncouple would be painful on most current systems. I can think of ways round this problem which would work with current technology; a computer display with pictures of all the stock and a mouse-click to operate it (eg. JMRI Panel Pro) or a physical panel with a button beside each wagon pictured on the panel (quite easy with LocoNet based devices, and I guess possible with other systems).

http://nigelcliffe.blogspot.com/

Tim V

Re: Further DCC AJ Couplings

Postby Tim V » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Give the wagon a single digit address, that's nine wagons for starters. Problem is telling them apart, one standard coal wagon looks very like any other :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Electrics”