Eridge Mk2 electrics

Rod Cameron

Eridge Mk2 electrics

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:14 am

Just a couple of pics to start off showing the early stages of the panel.

We did consider DCC but concluded that for now the additional cost outlay wasn't justified given the kinds of operations that Eridge has. Maybe in the future ... So this is just a 'conventional' panel for common return/cab control with 15 sections that can be linked to any of four controllers.

The 'lever frame' emulates the real one as far as possible in terms of numbering, and the appropriate numbers for points (doubles for crossovers where appopriate) and signals are marked on the diagram. There will also be a LED-based route indicator system linked to the rotary switches which will show which sections are linked to which controller - not essential, but something indicated as a 'nice-to-have' by team members.

The red, blue and yellow sections of the track diagram mean nothing other than a convenient visual separation of up, down and yard sections.

Basic panel constructed very simply from white-surfaced hardboard, covered with transparent self adhesive film (the sort used by students to cover books etc) and framed with superstore pine. When finished there will be a removable hardboard rear.

Most switches have now been installed, and holes drilled for all the 3mm LEDs for route selection indication - these will be push fitted and fixed in place on the rear with copydex or epoxy. The three large pointy knobs on the rotary switches will be replaced by the neater type when I find some more (Squires seem to have dropped them from their catalogue).

Tag strips have been fitted to the upper and lower frames ready for the wiring, and D-connector sockets will be fitted to the left and right ends for distribution to the boards etc. A tag reference schedule has been devised, and wiring will be colour-coded to facilitate testing and fault-finding. Everything looks neat now - no doubt that will change when the forest of wires invades it! We will see how neat I can make it :mrgreen:

eridge panel front 270808.jpg

eridge panel rear 270808.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod

Rod Cameron

Re: Eridge Mk2 electrics

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:17 am

As part of my insistence (to myself if nobody else) on documentation of wiring etc here is one of the pages from the tag strip reference. There are eight strips on the panel altogether (lettered A-H) each of 28 tags. So the tag reference is on the left, then the wire colour, description and what tag it is linked to. I suppose I could drop some of them and run directly from switches to the connector sockets, but I find having intermediate tags helps to group and organise things better.

eridge tagstrip.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod

beast66606

Postby beast66606 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:13 pm

Mmm - funnly looking panel there Rod :shock: ;)

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:01 pm

:mrgreen: ;)
Rod

Return to “Electrics”