Unimat 1 variable speed required

HowardGWR

Unimat 1 variable speed required

Postby HowardGWR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:51 pm

I've moved Tim's reply over here to a new thread. My problem is still electrical but I am quite willing to talk about the lathe itself. It's difficult this category choosing isn't it?
Here's Tim first. He wrote:

'The Unimat 1 only runs at one speed. I have the Model Engineer review in front of me (03/05/85 for those who are interested).

The Unimat is not a toy, and had quite a good write up - if used within its limits. Clearly it can't be used for turning rough cast iron castings (bad luck Howard), but for a lot of non ferrous work, it should be adequate. The reviewer also tried it on free cutting mild steel - it worked. What were you thinking of using it for?

It also can be converted into a precision vertical drill.

The most important thing with a small machine tool is to ensure the tools are sharp, otherwise power is lost in heat.

There was a suggestion in the article that a simple thyristor controller could be used. Four batteries fit into the base so that would be 6V. Any ideas anyone?Tim V'

Now me.

You can put 4 R20 batteries in the base and run the motor off that. I don't like using batteries because they run out and get all gooey if you don't use them for an age. I suppose you could get variable speed as they run down. :-)

The transformer outputs 5v 3A 15W as Keith commented. BTEW this item is still sold by the Austrian firm and the Canadian offshoot so is still obtainable. I picked mine up in 1986 I think from Holt Models for £75 and that was a special offer. You will pay more than that now.

Not worried about iron castings Tim, Only brass, plastic and aluminium stuff in my layout (except axles, etc) so this apparatus can do anything you would be likely to do in this scale IMO. I don't aspire to Terry's level and frankly, I am unable to understand his extensive articles in the News, undoubtedly my inability in that way.

So the only thing that bugs me about the Unimat 1 is this motor that is so threatening in its high unalterable speed. Ages ago a chap told me to get some diodes (whatever they are) from Maplins, so I did. I have no idea however what to do with them and so they sit in the spares box wondering why they are there.

So if anyone has solved this conundrum I shall be pleased to hear from them. The equipment is top quality in my view and I was surprised the reviews, to which Tim refers, did not deal with the issue. Regards, Howard

Terry I am strill trying to find out how to make my photos less than 1 meg, so when I do, I will post images of the belt mechanism, thank you for offering to help.

Tim V

Re: Unimat 1 variable speed required

Postby Tim V » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:46 pm

Suggest you look in the Squires catalogue, a number of accessories, including a countershaft to reduce speed.

For turning brass you need a high speed.

For parting off I would suggest don't try it.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Going off track a bit, I would like to add my view on the lathe.

Like yourself I bought my unimat 1 in the mid eightes, if I remember correctly it was for a similar price. The main reason for buying the machine was because it was reatively cheap compared to other small lathes, and it was all I could afford at the time. These days I believe there selling for over £200. In my opinion, if anyone was thinking of buying one then I would advise them to hold on to their money. Buy a second hand Unimat SL, 3 or Unimat 4 instead.

The main problems I found with the lathe was the smoothness of operation and work holding. Because it was mainly made of plastic, movement of the saddle and cross slide was very tight preventing a nice finish on the item being turned. Work holding in the chuck, as the chuck was also made of plasitic, the item being held would regularly slip in the jaws of the chuck. Unfortunatly I got little use out of the machine and it soon ended up in the bin.

I now own a Unimat 4 and I'm very happy with it.

Regards

Scott

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Alan Turner also directed me to Squires on another subject I wrote about as has Tim. Thanks chaps, they have a device to give other speeds so I shall give this full consideration.

Very interested in your story Scott. That was a bit drastic was it not? You would have got a good price on Ebay for it.

I just plan to to smoothing out of brass castings, maybe even some grooving type (Milling is that?) operations and not much more really. I had not noticed, in the type of thing I've just mentioned (fettling essentially) and as a powerful drill, that it gave me any problems.

Still, I've got it and as i recommence my hobby I intend to give it a go and will report back how I get on.

Yes i wondered whether a second hand purchase of the Unimat 4 could have been better. i can't afford big prices just to refine a safety valve, i think I would be just as happy with a file for that.

Many thanks, Howard i think that closes my query and am most grateful to all who replied.

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:21 pm

[quote="thomascpre"]
Very interested in your story Scott. That was a bit drastic was it not? You would have got a good price on Ebay for it.

When it went in the bin Ebay wasn't around, in fact I don't think the internet was. I was that disappointed with it the bin was all it was good for.

I hope you have more success.

Happy modelling,

Scott

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm

According to the review, the manufacturers recommend putting paper underneath the headstock and the milling head to cure the twisting. The review was by Stan Bray, I believe he is well known on the ME circuit!

He suggests grease for lubrication of the slides.
Tim V

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Tim
Do you have the report still? I should like to see it (electronic?). One I got all those years ago said something similar about lubrication i believe.

I also noted on the Squires site the great expansion in bits and pieces for the Unimat 1.

I also noted the 'UNIMAT POWER DRIVE UNIT a heavy duty power dive (sic) unit for
bigger or hard workpieces and for greater precision, also recommended
for circular saw attachment '.

That may overcome your point about hard metals and parting off, although previous reviews I saw did not say the device could not do this.

At £84.50 it ought to!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Parting off should be done at slow speed, on my Unimat 3, I part off at 130RPM.

I think the magazine article is under copyright, but any reference library should be able to get it for you.
Tim V

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:39 am

thomascpre » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 pm
said

"I don't aspire to Terry's level and frankly, I am unable to understand his extensive articles in the News, undoubtedly my inability in that way."

Looks like my teaching failed then! Back to teacher training college! :D

Terry Bendall

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:09 pm

No Terry, there are some people whom you could try everything in the book to educate but they just don't have what it needs to receive the knowledge and I am quite simply an engineering duffer.

But you have very kindly replied and what I will do is dig out your articles and pose the questions that I had when I read them. If you are game I would be most grateful. When I get around to it, I will open a new thread (or we already have one with the one about 'which lathe shall I buy') and I suspect the ensuing correspondence will be most helpful to many.

Don't hold your breath awaiting my post though, i have a mountain of jobs to complete starting with my American method shunter plus truck experiment. I expect you have quite enough on too. It was very nice to meet you at Scalefour during the Armchair business. I would not even begin to correspond here until I had actually done something. Great idea of yours.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Unimat 1 price list (from 1987) I can't see that this would be copyright?
emco.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

Return to “Electrics”