Baseboard rigidity

Winander

Re: Baseboard rigidity

Postby Winander » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:37 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:a practical approach but perhaps a little over complex.

I immediately though over-engineered. Perhaps better than under-engineered, and definitely good exercise.

Jol,
What size wood did you use for the legs, and why laminate it rather than buy a bigger dimension?
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 pm

Yes, Jol, thanks for showing anyone else reading this your much more straightforward arrangement.

Just to complete the topic from the point of view of what I did, the last bit of the process was to paint the boards and legs on all surfaces, above and below. About 4 litres of white primer paint or varnish was absorbed, and the boards were then quite a bit heavier. When I have some new batteries for our weighing scales I'll edit this post with the current weight, but this now includes a 7mm layer of cork and the beginnings of the layout.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 pm

Richard,

the side "girders" of the baseboards are two pieces of 4mm ply separated by wood spacers. I used one size of timber for the spacers and so using the same size of wood for the legs ensured that the upper extensions of these fitted accurately into the retaining pockets. Laminating two timber pieces together also took care of the problem that B&Q wood is never straight (partly because they store it vertically, it is even worse from our local Homebase) so laminating it concave side to concave side gave a a much straighter and rigid piece of wood. I later discovered a local builders merchant who store their wood flat and will happily sort through it to get the straightest pieces.

Return to “Baseboards and Carpentry”