Wall brackets

seanmcs

Wall brackets

Postby seanmcs » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:31 am

I'm contemplating a layout about 7 1/2 metres long and about 60 cm wide. I want to attach it to the wall with brackets, so the area underneath can be used for storage of all sorts of items. So attached fairly high.

My ideal would be to find some GWR style platform roof brackets, hopefully in cast aluminium. 60 cm deep. I just wonder if there was ever a supply of such brackets for some large gauge/scale. Alternatively, maybe some could be made up in ply, to be fastened in some fashion to the wall.

Any thought much appreciated.

Sean

Tim V

Re: Wall brackets

Postby Tim V » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Surely any brackets from your local DIY emporium would do? Cast aluminium in a GWR style could be expensive.

I have considered it myself using the folding microwave brackets off my bookshelves, pop the test track on, take it off and fold the brackets away.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:08 pm

Tim,

I think Sean is wanting a touch of class:

PA270011.JPG

this pair of GWR signal box shelf brackets cost £60 at a Railwayana auction 15 years ago. They are original cast iron and weigh a ton, but they have class. The only drawback is that they are only 10" deep, so a 2' layout is a bit big for them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

:mrgreen:

Well now you're talking :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:04 am

I've just looked in the latest copy of AN magazine (once known as Artist Newsletter) and there are casting services at
Bronze Age 272 Limehouse Row London E14 7HY
www.bronzeage.co.uk

or
Milwyn Casting (Alex Davies)
www.milwyn.co.uk
(based in Leatherhead)

or
Red Temple
12 Keyhill Drive, Hockley, Birmingham B18 5NY
www.redtemple.co.uk

No experience of any of them but casting is not that hard.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:20 am

I have used heavy duty adjustable shelf brackets to support a layout successfully for several years. I use the Spur brand which have a double row of slots on the uprights. These can usually be found in most DIY stores. The largest brackets I could find were about 400mm long so I screwed some wood on top to support baseboards 450mm wide. I have continued the uprights above the baseboards so that shorter brackets can be used to support shelves at a high level for storage. If you wanted some fancy looking brackets Sean then cutting from plywood would be an option. If you can find a firm that have a CNC router, then that would be the way to cut them out.

Terry Bendall

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:12 am

Or MDF panels cut out with a router; quite easy to make a bracket with curly cut outs and the crest of whatever railway company you desire. I think CNC routing isn't expensive if you ask around (I know someone who has a factory full of such woodworking machines).

Return to “Baseboards and Carpentry”