whats the state of the art in baseboards

kelly

Re: whats the state of the art in baseboards

Postby kelly » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:39 am

Laser cut baseboards is the direction I've gone for my layouts, all from Tim Horn.

I have two layouts in progress, a small one to test some things and use as a trial run for building trackwork and a much bigger one (over twice size).

The bigger one, at its full length would never be able to be erected in full at my small flat, but to get around that, and still allow it to be a longer layout for (hopefully) exhibiting, I've been designing it to be somewhat modular. It does require the trackplan to be a bit straighter than ordinarily I'd have gone with, but it allows me to vary the size from 3ftx2ft+storage (size of smallest present board) to 15ftx2ft+storage each end (size of current number of boards, though considering changing it to be curved at the ends so it can have a bigger storage area at exhibitions potentially). The nice thing with this is that I'm not limited by how much I complete before it is useable as a layout (or even exhibit-able), I just put together what modules are finished.

I have another idea I want to pursue at a later date that combines standard and narrow gauge modules that can work together or separately, but that will be a ways off before I get around to that I suspect.

They're all laser cut using 9mm plywood, with cross bracing. Tim's website has plenty of decent pictures. They align nicely with aid of pattern makers dowels, so I can be sure of good alignment.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:35 pm

You can " run but you cannot hide " might be the sub motto of the society :D :D

Seemingly I've made to the exalted position of " being mentioned in dispatches " ( Scalefour News 200) page 43

Anyway I've progressed with baseboard tests , using 6mm ply and Grp tape and glue ( other then a false start as I under catalysed not accounting for the temp in an unused bedroom ( and prospective railway room )

Oh and please it's " Dave " , to my friends, only my 88 year old mother calls me " David " and then only to give out to me. ( " David !!!....etc )

I shall report back on the trial baseboard construction. Soon and in the meantime continue to muddle the English written word with my lower case moniker !!! :mrgreen:

I congratulate the Society on its 40 years. Hears to the next 40
Dave

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:22 pm

as promised these are some photos of my latest test plank in preparation for a much bigger layout . This is 6mm european birch , with 120mm 6mm birch ply box section, bonded with 3" GRP tape and polyester resin . ( the technique isnt mine , its been shown here before)

The plywood was cut very accurately on a large computerised table saw at a local timber merchants who supplied the ply

flatness measured diagonally , is approx 0.2mm , stiffness , measured by picking up one corner and measuring long before the other lifted is about 20-25mm, but this metric isnt that important as each baseboard will be supported by two trestles . The final full size boards, 1550mm x 800mm ( on some boards ) will have double box sections , i.e. a middle longitudinal support . currently I dont see the need for diagonal braces, as these cause access issues , so hopefully they can be avoided . This board shown can be held supported by one hand

The overhand is deliberate and will be on all baseboards and is were the servo motors , decc dropper commoning and the MERG layout control modules will be situated , with as little as possible actually under the board . TOUs etc will be driven by rods or wire in tube as will signals. This will all be covered by a cosmetic side panel in time

IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:03 pm

Does anyone know anywhere that would sell a single large sheet of extruded polystyrene? I spent a lot of the morning searching the web and the nearest I got was a pack of 18 sheets, which is a bit over the top for a projected 6 by 2 layout to fit in the back of the car. I can collect anywhere around London.

Tony

buckie5507

Postby buckie5507 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:57 pm

Is this the sort of material you were thinking of?

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/xps-ex ... yrene-foam

Jonathan

Return to “Baseboards and Carpentry”