Brinkley Baseboards

barrowroad

Brinkley Baseboards

Postby barrowroad » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:44 pm

The Glevum Group are in the process of replacing the shed and incline boards on the group's Brinkley layout. This has been a while getting off the ground so here are a few photographs of progress on the two boards made over last weekend.
For those familar with the layout the original boards have a fearsome 1in 38 incline out of the tunnel. This will be eased to a 1 in 60 gradient on the new boards.
The shed yard is to be replaced and redesigned as the original boards are over 20 years old and have given frequent problems with the trackwork during exhibitions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Brinkley Baseboards

Postby 45609 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi Robin,

Congrats on your first posting here. After pestering you to show people what we've been up to I guess I only have myself to blame for appearing in the pictures.

Cheers....Morgan

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am

Hi,

Interesting stuff, please could you list the various materials and the reasons for your choices?

Regards,

Tony Montgomery.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Tony,

The two boards are 5ft x 2ft 6in, one donated by a member of the Glevum group and the second a clone of the first. Why make two! Both are constructed using good quality 4mm ply, with the side and ends box sections formed of two layers of ply with ply spacers.
The ends are strengthened with blocks of softwood strategically positioned for the alignment dowels and 'T nuts' and bolts to join the boards together.
You will see the cross bracing in the photos. This is also made of 4mm ply with lightening holes for the electrics. The width [height] of the cross bracing is less than the sides - it is lower - to allow the positioning of soldiers or risers to support the baseboard tops. This permits positioning of point motors, droppers and wiring with minimum interference from the woodwork.
Because the layout has a 1 in 60 incline each board required modification to the ends and cross members to incorporate the incline. Further work will take place this weekend and I will post additional photos.
The tops to support the trackwork is 6mm ply sheet.
Construction of the boards is achieved using Titebond wood glue and clamps. It does help having group member with superb woodworking facilities!

Cheers,

Robin

John H. Wright

Postby John H. Wright » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Robin,
That's an interesting loco in your avatar pic. I guess it has a taller chimney by the proportions .... but is cropped off.
Can you tell me about it, please ..... an enquiring mind wants to know.
Regards,
John H. Wright
http://www.xclent.freeuk.com
Modelling the Pennsylvania Railroad ( 1940s ) in HO and P87 and BR (ex.NER c.1948-50) in P4

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi John,

The loco 551is at St Louis Museum and was taken during a visit in April 2007.

Cheers,

Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 am

barrowroad wrote:The Glevum Group are in the process of replacing the shed and incline boards on the group's Brinkley layout. This has been a while getting off the ground so here are a few photographs of progress on the two boards made over last weekend.
For those familar with the layout the original boards have a fearsome 1in 38 incline out of the tunnel. This will be eased to a 1 in 60 gradient on the new boards.
The shed yard is to be replaced and redesigned as the original boards are over 20 years old and have given frequent problems with the trackwork during exhibitions.

Ah...the shed yard at Brinkley.... great to see the layout is still evolving.... and to think it was the shed board that started it all. Is there space on the new board for the office building (and so you have any pictures of same?) The builder would like to know.....

Hello to the Glevum Group, by the way!

Cheers

Jan

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:57 am

Hi Jan,

Good to hear from you!
Isn't it strange.. at our monthly meeting last week your name came up in conversation with Tony and Graham about your involvement building the original shed boards.
It is our intention to replace these boards and trackwork but re-use all the buildings. The main reason for this upgrade is the trackwork, being 20+ years old now has given problems with the soldered joints at exhibitions.
I have managed to find one photo in my collection which is a view of the back of the shed.. this, unfortunately, does not include all of the buildings but I hope you like it.

Regards,

Robin

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:18 pm

barrowroad wrote:Hi Jan,

Good to hear from you!
Isn't it strange.. at our monthly meeting last week your name came up in conversation with Tony and Graham about your involvement building the original shed boards.
It is our intention to replace these boards and trackwork but re-use all the buildings. The main reason for this upgrade is the trackwork, being 20+ years old now has given problems with the soldered joints at exhibitions.
I have managed to find one photo in my collection which is a view of the back of the shed.. this, unfortunately, does not include all of the buildings but I hope you like it.

Regards,

Robin

Hi Robin,

Spooky.
Crikey.... I know my involvement in that span was a short stretch, but I was fortunate to be around such nice folk (good grub everywhere, if I recall!). The shed looks grand... my small contribution is heading in a south-easterly direction out of the photo..... :) I'll keep an eye out for it on the rounds..

Cheers

Jan

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Brinkley was at Scalefour North this year and there are some more pictures in the retrospective.
Brinkley at Scalefour North 08

All the Best
Danny

Return to “Baseboards and Carpentry”