Aluminium angle for cassettes - warnings!

David B

Re: Aluminium angle for cassettes - warnings!

Postby David B » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:55 am

andrewnummelin wrote:I bought the aluminium angle at Homebase. I'll check other suppliers next time to get uncoated material.

I bought aluminium angle from the local builders' merchant. Pale (aluminium) grey, works a treat. Even appears straight.

David

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Tim V wrote:I was asking Howard, not you Terry!

by putting a strip of thick plastic down the gap, stock can be easily retailed.

What, are you selling your stuff now Tim? :-)

Many thanks to you and Terry, we armchair types have so little hands on experience so the mag articles are not always totally convincing. I tried the MRJ Iain Rice 'gramophone record needle' pick up method, well that didn't work did it? :-(

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Having built a batch of cassettes for our Aylesbury layout in the last few weeks, the following is what I have found useful, a strip of 1mm thick plasticard down the centre around 17mm wide makes railing stock very easy. I have used Masokits etched cassette connectors, these give a very possitive connection, and better than the home made style on the original Chris Penlention design.

Black insulation tape along each edge is a must.

David

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Copying a method used by various friends, I simply use small bulldog clips, which serve both to line up the cassettees and to make the electrical connections. Simples! (No clips, springs or soldered connections to bother about.) Another aid to alignment is to put a rubbing strake behind the casette against which it is pushed to line it up - another idea cribbed from friends.

I also made up a removeable plastikard railer, but this has not been completely satisfactory, and I may adopt David Lane's idea of sticking down a 17mm wide strip of plastikard.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 am

martin goodall wrote:I also made up a removeable plastikard railer, but this has not been completely satisfactory, and I may adopt David Lane's idea of sticking down a 17mm wide strip of plastikard.

Hmmm... I think that there was mention of something in ChairmanJim's latest DogHouse that may be of interest...

Just a teaser, as it were ;-)

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:00 pm

I haven't had a chance to look up Jim's piece in the Snooze yet, but I failed to make it clear that the removeable plastikard railer is purely for loading stock onto the cassette and getting the wheels on the track without having to fiddle about with the bogies, etc.

To ensure all is well as a train exits the fidle yard, I have added permanent 'wedge'-shaped re-railers at one end of each cassette so that any wheels that are running on the top of the aluminium are pulled back into line. This is a feature which, in one form or another, is used by various friends of mine who have cassette-based fiddle yards.

Return to “Baseboards and Carpentry”