Wood for trestles.

Goldsmith

Wood for trestles.

Postby Goldsmith » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:59 am

In his book “An Approach to Model Railway Layout Design: Finescale in small spaces.” Iain Rice refers to “Ulysses” a support system involving trestles. He gives dimensions for height and width but fails to advise on suitable wood and its dimensions for said trestles – surely not ply? As a newcomer to layout construction can anyone advise?

Russ Elliott

Re: Wood for trestles.

Postby Russ Elliott » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Got a sketch?

Goldsmith

Postby Goldsmith » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Sorry, but my I.T. skills are not up to sketches. Thanks for the interest. Howard

davebooth

Postby davebooth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:13 pm

SirDanielGooch wrote:In his book “An Approach to Model Railway Layout Design: Finescale in small spaces.” Iain Rice refers to “Ulysses” a support system involving trestles. He gives dimensions for height and width but fails to advise on suitable wood and its dimensions for said trestles – surely not ply? As a newcomer to layout construction can anyone advise?

I would use 3mm ply and 1" square PAR in a box girder construction. Very strong, nice and light and free from warping distortion. Have your supplier cut 8' x 4' sheet into equal width strips, the width being the depth of your required girder. Use water-proof PVA glue and staples to fix the 1" timber to the ply. I've also used 3mm MDF rather than ply. Stapling is far easier and faster than nails or panel pins and the stapling machine will pay its way very quickly - just in case you don't already have one. Certainly forget the once popular 2" x 1" timber idea!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:42 pm

Dave, I think Howard's referring to the trestles, not the board :!:

I used good old 2"x1" as I had it to hand for the legs. The cross pieces and diagonal were some 9mm ply I also had to hand. Hinges were also in the scrap box.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

davebooth

Postby davebooth » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:28 am

Tim V wrote:Dave, I think Howard's referring to the trestles, not the board :!:

I used good old 2"x1" as I had it to hand for the legs. The cross pieces and diagonal were some 9mm ply I also had to hand. Hinges were also in the scrap box.

Hello Tim; Nice to meet you at 'Retford on Saturday.
Yes, as I re-read the original question I realise that Howard's enquiry was about trestle, -its just my impetuous nature out of control :?
Actually I had Mr. Rice's idea in mind were I to exhibit 'Bowton's Yard, and had sketched some ideas for the longitudinal beams. I agree that "good old 2 x 1 " timber would be ok for trestles.
Sorry Howard.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:57 am

I have not been on for a while - bad I know, but a late reply to Howard's question.

I use softwood timber finished size 35mm x 25 mm for the legs and 70 mm x 18 mm for the cross members. A three legged design with all joints screwed and glued with PVA glue. Timber comes rom the Wicks DIY chain who have branches across most of the UK and the quality if normally better than most other DIY stores. It is also sold in 2.4 metre lengths which is fairly convenient for taking home - assuming that you have a large enough car or a roof rack. A length of chain on a hook to sort out the height and to allow adjustment. A drawing to follow if I can sort it out.

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:37 pm

SCAN2.JPG

And here is the drawing. If Howard or anyone else wants more information contact me directly at the address on the blue sheet.

Terry Bendall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Here's one of mine, they're 4' wide and painted white.
IMG_1513.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Baseboards and Carpentry”