Quiet Please!

John Bateson

Quiet Please!

Postby John Bateson » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:56 am

I have a few baseboard structures that sit on top of the main tables. because of their box structure they are rather noisy when trains pass over them.
I would like to fill these structures with expanding foam in order to make them a little quieter. Blocks of rubber or foam are not, I'm afraid, an option since I can't get these inside the structures.

Has anybody any experience of doing this and any recommendations as to the type of filler?

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Philbax

Re: Quiet Please!

Postby Philbax » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:17 pm

you could try the spray foam from DIY stores f filling cavities around pipes in the wall. Be careful as this expands on contact with the air and so needs to have some release for the air and excess to escape if used in a confined box like sructure

Phil

Tim Hale

Postby Tim Hale » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 pm

Without free access to air, the foam often remains liquid and does not fully set.

The alternative is to acoustically de-couple the structures with a sound absorbent gasket.

Something I learnt from restoring an old car- those annoying squeaks and rattles often ceased with a very thin piece of cork.

Tim

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:58 pm

Following Tim's comments about a thin cork gasket, maybe you could simply slip some thin cork between the boards and the table, or even some thin rubber sheet. Might save you having to fill the baseboards with foam. Also, rubber underlay will help.

Philip

Return to “Baseboards and Carpentry”