Sprung bogies

Andy W

Sprung bogies

Postby Andy W » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:30 am

I'm thinking of using sprung bogies for the first time on a coach I'm building. MJT compensation bogies are tricky as the torsion bar prevents fitting the transverse leaf springs easily. What alternatives are there, and which do members recommend?

Do Masokits still produce their variable length version? Are the Pendleton/Mitchell type still available? Or are Bill Bedford's (now Eileen's) the best?

Thanks

Andy
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

barhamd

Re: Sprung bogies

Postby barhamd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:26 pm

I've used the Bill Bedford ones and find them very good. I like the fact that the actual bogie is very solid compared to the Pendleton design.

David Barham

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:22 pm

I found the 'clip fit' bearing carriers in the Bill Bedford design much better than soldering as in the original Pendlenton or the fold up design used by Masokits. Bill did, maybe still does, a small etch of suitable bearing carriers that can be used with the Pendlenton frames which was a worthwhile upgrade for those I had already in stock. i agree with David, if you don't have any stashed away go with the Bill Bedford design.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Andy,
I think you need to be clear which bogey you are modelling. The BB one's are (ISTR) designed for the BR Mk1 bogies. To use with a Gresley bogey you have to accept that some of the brass bits will show through in the wrong places.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks for all the info. I have both MR and LNWR 8' to finish.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Depends what type of layout you're building as to whether sprung bogies will work successfully.

Don't do what I did and convert all your coaches at once with one type - leads to a lot of heart ache and extra work.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:10 pm

as there is a degree of spring in the torsion bar of the MJT ones do they actually behave any differently to a sprung bogie on the track?

Just wondering.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Personally, I didn't get on with the MJT bogies as designed, and built them as pivoting, not torsion bar. Worked for me!
Tim V

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:31 pm

as there is a degree of spring in the torsion bar of the MJT ones do they actually behave any differently to a sprung bogie on the track?

Yes, the sprung bogies have the body weight supported on the springs, the MJT bogies have the body weight unsprung like any other compensation system. All the torsion bar does is resist the compensation effect. Like Tim I found it better to assemble them pivotting freely without the torsion effect.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:51 pm

In which case, Tim and Keith, I may try and amend the sets of MJTs I intended to use. I've always used these in the past - but as I said these particular bogies have lateral leaf springs and it's that very bar with its location socket that has made me look into alternatives. Thanks.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:02 pm

The way I did them the transverse bar is still there, just not soldered to both the frames, i would think it easier to modify a BB one to make room for your transverse springs.
Rgds
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Tim V wrote:Depends what type of layout you're building as to whether sprung bogies will work successfully.

Don't do what I did and convert all your coaches at once with one type - leads to a lot of heart ache and extra work.

Tim, could you expand on that post a little?

I've been debating standardizing on fully sprung coach bogies for the planned big layout, but for now going for quick and dirty wheel swap conversions. The idea being that just to run rakes for myself a wheel swap is fine, but on the big layout which would run fixed rakes (Sergent Engineering buckeyes and Masokit's gangways), and will hopefully feature a canted reverse curve. I figured fully sprung is the only way to go.

Regards

Matt

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:46 pm

The sprung bogies I have tried were all unsuccessful, apart from Bill Bedford's which did work. This was after I'd tried every other type.

I fell into the trap of assuming that sprung bogies were the way to go, but I've found that straight wheel swaps work just fine on my layout. After 19 exhibitions, I think I've proved they do!
Tim V

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Hello All - and season's greetings. I see you folk have a taste of our usual weather! I suggest hiding in a basement with a pile of bits and a soldering iron. (A decent single malt helps too.)

Anyway, I digress somewhat......

I was wondering if any of you have a blow-by-blow description of how to put Bill's bogies together?

Regards

Neil B
Winnipeg

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Try this link, http://steamlinesheffield.wordpress.com ... -projects/
then click on - "Bill Bedford’s Mk I Coach Bogie Review"
I believe it was in S4 news as well...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."