GWR Diagram E116 B Set sole bar

Andrew Ullyott

GWR Diagram E116 B Set sole bar

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:47 pm

Hi.
I've started making a K's B set of E116, the shell of which were kindly donated by Mr Venton of this parish.
I'm using the Comet standard 57ft underframe as the underpinnings and the coaches will eventually by running on Bill Bedford sprung bogies.

I didn't like the original sole bar and step board arrangement so have removed it from one coach so far.
But I have a question. Due to the width of the original K's plastic sides at present I have the coach sides sitting on the under frame, with piece of brass soldered along the top to fit inside the coach, rather than bending up the edge of the under frame as per the Comet instructions.

At the moment the sole bars look far too deep to me. For the life of me I can't find a dimensioned plan as to what they should be. I'm guessing 9" or is it 12"?

The solution will be to cut down the width of the under frame so it sits up inside the coach and let it rest on a length of Evergreen strip, stuck at a suitable height.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any idea.
IMG_0477.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Re: GWR Diagram E116 B Set sole bar

Postby Tim V » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:10 pm

Although it's a B set, it's a standard coach underframe, so a quick look inside my copy of Russel shows 9.5" below body to bottom of frame.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:29 pm

Thanks Tim

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Mon May 01, 2023 8:53 pm

Hi Andrew

How are you going to deal with the glazing on these?

I have an E116 B Set to do as well, but the K's sides are rather thick. I'll be following your progress with interest.

Ian

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue May 02, 2023 3:40 pm

Here's how I did mine, I scraped the plastic behind the windows using a filed scraper. Comparison between on the left my modified ones, and on the right the B set I let Andrew have. Picture from 2009!
Workshop (206).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”