Bullied Gangways

Serjt-Dave

Bullied Gangways

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:54 am

Hi All. In between bouts of scenic work I've been trying to clear some of my outstanding projects mainly a three car rake of Bullied coaches.

They are about 85% complete and one of the main jobs are the gangways. The gangways I'm using are Roxey's. Initially I used grease proof paper to make the side bellows and the top sheet but once painted proved too stiff. The main springing is provided by a piece of sponge inside the gangway. The side bellows were worked okay but the top sheet was the main problem. I replaced the top sheet using bin bag material. This was certainly flexible but after awhile it creases up and looses it shape.

Anyone got any better ideas and solutions please.

All Best

Dave

20230305_062703.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bécasse

Re: Bullied Gangways

Postby bécasse » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:01 am

Have you asked Dave Hammersley what he recommends given that you are using his mouldings. I always found him a mine of information on the use of his products (and much else besides).

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:07 pm

For the bellows, crepe paper from the art shop comes in a suitable variety of colours, black or greys. For the tops it can be smeared thinly with silicone adhesive and allowed to dry on a wood former, or there is Jim S-W's excellent idea to use a piece of thin 'latex' (silicone?) glove material. It may be an issue finding a suitable colour though, and getting paint to stay on...

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:52 pm

Bullied?

Do you mean Bulleid?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:27 am

Thanks guys for your replies. I shall ignore the comments about my misspelling of Bulleid. I'm employed by gwr so you know I'm going to be a bit thick. LOL.

Becasse, no I haven't but will bear this in mind if the latex glove thing doesn't work out.

Ted. Will give the latex glove idea ago. I've got a big box of blue gloves and my family all work for the NHS and and get gloves but again they are mainly blue ones. You can get black ones, but it's buying a box of them just for one glove or so. I think my neighbour has some, so will ask him first.

All Best

Dave

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:54 pm

I use bin liner for the canvess on the top of corridor connections and crepe paper for the leather bellows.

I recommend not using coloured crepe paper on its own as it dries and turns to powder. i saturate mine with black car paint to reinforce it.

IMG_0368 (3).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Tatlow

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:59 am

Hi Mark. Your gangway looks really good and I can see how the piece of bin liner works. The Bulleid type gangway is fixed at one point {around the top edge of the front of the gangway}. The rest of the canvas cover inclines up to the end of the coach body and is attached there. What I was finding that after awhile the bin linner material lost it's flexability and when the gangway is depressed the canvas piece didn't go back to it's original position. On the piece of bin linner I glued a piece of wire to make up a frame. On the end of the coach end I drilled two holes and fixed two struds to support the wire frame but what I think would work better would be two small hooks rather than studs.

I've now got some black latex gloves so will have another go and modify thing a little.

All Best

Dave

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”