Coach and DMU springing units for Mostyn

Hardwicke

Re: Coach and DMU springing units for Mostyn

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:06 pm

Can you still get KM bearings?
Oh if they did any 4mm stuff..
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:13 pm

Hi,

Hardwicke wrote:Can you still get KM bearings?

The straightforward answer is 'I dont know' since we are in the fortunate position of having reasonable stocks for Mostyn projects.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Cheers,

Richard

CaptainTony

Postby CaptainTony » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:14 pm

Richard,
I have used a lot of Colin Craig bogies for assorted freight, running 15-20 bogie wagons of very modern design. Bought from Colin himself, Stenson and Wills Workbench. So I am very familiar with this design although it leads to an overwide bogie on, say, Y25 bogies. But running is very good both forward at speed and backwards (at reasonable speed). Width problems in design is hardly noticeable. The only problem, though care eliminates this and awareness of the potential problem, is that I use Branchline metal wheels which run best in Romford (now Markits) bearings. Metal wheels in metal frames with close metal brake pads can lead to shorts. if it happens with a rake of 15 wagons it can take a time to isolate the problem! lol!
Anyway, that said, I would like to buy these kits when available. Say, initially say, 20 coaches worth and I don't require separate packaging. I have come to this arrangement with Wills Workbench (and, of course, without the need for white metal castings.
Tony

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:49 pm

Hi Tony,

CaptainTony wrote:I have used a lot of Colin Craig bogies for assorted freight, running 15-20 bogie wagons of very modern design.

I did a quick count before posting and Mostyn has just over 150 freight vehicles (both bogie and 2-axle) running on springing systems designed by Colin. As you say their performance is excellent - we do have a couple of propelling moves involving formations of up to 12 vehicles and we expect them to be ultra-reliable under the gaze of exhibition visitors.

CaptainTony wrote:Anyway, that said, I would like to buy these kits when available. Say, initially say, 20 coaches worth and I don't require separate packaging.

We will be happy to supply the kits to you when they are ready and fully tested. This project has had to take a back seat due to other Mostyn priorities but it will receive more attention after our outing to Spalding in early November. Please advise what wheel diameter you will be fitting.

Thank you for thinking of how to make it easy for us to supply kits to you - neither Colin nor I intend to become commercial suppliers, we are simply solving an issue that we have faced and are willing to help out those who also see the benefits of the design.

Cheers,

Richard

CaptainTony

Postby CaptainTony » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:16 am

Thanks Richard.
I've got all the components in the bag (nuts, screws and spring wire) - the only thing I required apart from the etches are the pivot bushes.
I have a lot of Mk.1 and Mk.2 coaches awaiting from Bachmann, purchased many years ago.
Bogies will be BR1, BR2,Commonwealth, B4 & B5. So I shall be using Branchline 14mm disc, though I also have a lot of Ultrascale wheels.
Tony

colincraig

Postby colincraig » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:58 pm

Tony,

With the Spalding exhibition successfully negotiated I have time to sort out a few etches, but need to know how many for:
3' 1.5" wheels - B4, B5 bogies
3' 6" wheels - BR!, BR2, Commonwealth bogies.
Sorry, but I seem to have misplaced your email address

Colin

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”