LM Region Inspection Saloons (Bachmann)

triumph3

LM Region Inspection Saloons (Bachmann)

Postby triumph3 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:25 pm

Amongst my half started pile is a Bachmann LM Region Inspection Saloon which I intend to replace the bogies and put some colour and people in the interior.
Now the history of these saloons is a little complex but from what I have been able to discover (using an article in Model Rail July 2005) is that there are essentially 2 main batches (but lots of subsequent variations). They are :
45043 to 45048 Which have conventional door handles.
45020 to 45036 which have recessed door handles.
Bachmann produced a model of 45020 (based at Glasgow) with the recessed door handles and the bogies fitted with additional side control (retrofitted to others).
Now the major issue is how to replicate the very colourful seat coverings for the interior seats? I have managed to find 2 photos of the interior but am at a loss as to how to replicate it.

D
IMG_4838.JPG
avid
IMG_4838.JPG

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

triumph3

Re: LM Region Inspection Saloons (Bachmann)

Postby triumph3 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:32 pm

I forgot to add the photos of the Bachmann interior. It is a bit of a struggle to separate the body from the chassis and interior but i used plasticarf to hold the body sides away from the chassis.

David
IMG_4833 (2).JPG
IMG_4834 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:02 pm

That looks like the BR standard "Trojan" moquette - see https://heritagerailfabric.co.uk/catalo ... uct=trojan

Given that each square comes along at 1/8mm at 4mm scale, effectively to model these you would use a charcoal grey seat covering with a series of very fine (1/8 mm) vertical lines of the varying colours?

I guess taking the picture on the Torrington website, it migth be possible to use software to scale that down and then tile it up to produce something to print out, and effectively wallpaper the Bachman seats?

All the best

Neil

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:12 pm

David

In practice creating a facsimile of this to scale will be impossible, so you will only have the option of giving an impression of it. Furthermore, whilst the windows on the observation saloon are fairly big, it is still in the inside of a coach that isn't going to be (??) lit and ought to have at least one or two bottoms sitting on the said seats.

So I would be thinking of drybrushing to give a little texture to the colour and then look at the finished article and decide even this wasn't worth it!

What hits me the most about these coaches is the prismatic affect of the glazing inserts. I did pressure Brian of Shawplan about doing them but I don't think he ever did. At the very least I would manufacture my own for the end windows. It isn't easy but it is not impossible either.

Mark
Mark Tatlow

Suffolk Dave

Postby Suffolk Dave » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 am

You could always remove a seat or two and replace them with these:

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/1038/

The seat is a good match for those in the photos and though the figure is a signalman who'd know once painted
Check out my modelling activity here: https://www.instagram.com/4mm_dave/

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”