Etched coach assembly - general question

jls_s4

Etched coach assembly - general question

Postby jls_s4 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:13 pm

I have reached that point in construction of a Blacksmith GWR Dia A7 All 1st whereby I have to decide whether to solder in the handles and grab rails before painting, thus making lining and glazing more difficult; or to paint and line, then glaze, then glue in the handles etc....

What do other people do? This kit assumes the glazing is thin flexible clear sheet adhered with double-sided tape.

Rod Cameron

Re: Etched coach assembly - general question

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:26 pm

The latter option usually Jeff
Rod

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:54 am

I've only painted one coach so far, but I soldered all the knobs and handrails prior to painting and masked around them. After the paint was dry I scraped it off with a scalpel.

I would definitely continue to use this method even though it makes the masking more labourious, it helps if you have some very fine masking tape (I have 1mm and 0.75mm rolls). I'd be concerned about gluing handrails, not sure of strength, and in some areas you'd be glueing to the paint rather than the metal.

I'd be interested in seeing some photos of your finished model!

Cheers, Nick

Nick Allport
CLAG

jls_s4

Postby jls_s4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 am

Yes that is the method I have used with the last two I've made but I wondered if there was a better way. Glazing is also a problem especially after fitting the handles because of the projections inside - however the LNWR 6 wheel shown here (ex-Gibson now Davin Geen) has tabs on the droplights which fold down to hold the glazing. I hand painted but getting around the handles etc was a bit tricky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi

I solder the handles on to the flat sides first (yes I do build things that are etched like 310 emu's!) and then smooth the backs down to make the glazing easier.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”