GER 54' Coaches

billbedford

GER 54' Coaches

Postby billbedford » Tue May 17, 2022 8:27 am

Can someone explain the arrangement of vac cylinders on GER dual fitted coaches, please? I'm working on a 54' coach, but I would think a 50' underframe would be much the same.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: GER 54' Coaches

Postby Paul Willis » Tue May 17, 2022 9:35 am

billbedford wrote:Can someone explain the arrangement of vac cylinders on GER dual fitted coaches, please? I'm working on a 54' coach, but I would think a 50' underframe would be much the same.

Hi Bill,

Do you have a specific Diagram in mind? There are a series of of articles in the GERS Journal that describe GER coach building in the early 20th century that may be a useful reference.

Unfortunately, the (lack of) organisation of the GERS collection of drawings, and what is held by whom, and whether it is accessible makes going to source material a bit of a needle in a haystack. There are apparently some coach drawings in both the NRM collection (not easily accessible) and the GERS Dupen collection (possibly accessible, possibly impossible).

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Will L

Re: GER 54' Coaches

Postby Will L » Tue May 17, 2022 5:11 pm

billbedford wrote:Can someone explain the arrangement of vac cylinders on GER dual fitted coaches, please? I'm working on a 54' coach, but I would think a 50' underframe would be much the same.

Bill
Are you interested in where Danny P said they were on his 50' kits or is all to much like hear say?

billbedford

Re: Scalefour Society exhibitions - 2023 and beyond

Postby billbedford » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:30 pm

I suppose I should answer this.

The carriages in question were RTOs of diagram 431 only two were built and numbered 114 &115.

I found a bunch of photos I'd forgotten and some more or less relevant drawings and so I think I've got everything in more or less the right place. The only question my customer and I have is whether one battery box was sufficient, but none of the photos I've found shows a battery box next to the dynamo and I question whether there was room for a box and space for a fitter to play with the dynamo when it went wrong.

Here are the CAD drawings:-
BUK0601 GER 54' underframe -1.png
BUK0601 GER 54' underframe -2.png
BUK0601 GER 54' underframe -3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”