Sprung coach bogies

bordercollie

Sprung coach bogies

Postby bordercollie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm

Hi

I may be about to ask a silly question but here goes.

I want to use sprung bogies for my GWR coaches. I will need some 9' WB items. I see Eilleen's emporium has Bill Bedford bogies.
The only 9' wheel base item states that is for LMS. If it is functional and will be covered by cosmetic castings why is a distinction made between railway companies.
Also there is 8'6" bogie for LNER/GWR/BR. I don't know anything about LNER or BR but I thought that for only GWR 8'6" was the Dean variety. If I am right then apparently the 8'6" bogie is suitable for earlier GWR and latter LNER and BR.
So I would like to know if I can use the 9' WB bogie on GWR coaches.

Best wishes

Noel

Re: Sprung coach bogies

Postby Noel » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:12 pm

You may wish to consider http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/sprung-coach-bogies as well. There may be others I don't know about.
Regards
Noel

bordercollie

Postby bordercollie » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:21 am

Thanks Noel
I had looked at the Rumney website. However, I have not seen much comment on these bogies and I am not sure how they stack up against other types.
Regards

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:02 am

bordercollie wrote:Thanks Noel
I had looked at the Rumney website. However, I have not seen much comment on these bogies and I am not sure how they stack up against other types.
Regards

I can’t comment specifically on Rumney bogies but can say Justin’ other products are well designed and just work.
Thus I reckon a trial purchase would give satisfaction……..and no I don’t get a cut

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:58 am

bordercollie wrote:Hi

I may be about to ask a silly question but here goes.

I want to use sprung bogies for my GWR coaches. I will need some 9' WB items. I see Eilleen's emporium has Bill Bedford bogies.
The only 9' wheel base item states that is for LMS. If it is functional and will be covered by cosmetic castings why is a distinction made between railway companies.

To try and fend off enquires such as this?

Also there is 8'6" bogie for LNER/GWR/BR. I don't know anything about LNER or BR but I thought that for only GWR 8'6" was the Dean variety. If I am right then apparently the 8'6" bogie is suitable for earlier GWR and latter LNER and BR.
So I would like to know if I can use the 9' WB bogie on GWR coaches.

Maybe
Most bogie frames have to accommodate 4'6" or 5' carrying springs. Due to Swindon's "Standardisation," this is not true of all their bogies, in particular the American and volute types. These have shorter frames which makes the etching too long for them.

bordercollie

Postby bordercollie » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:32 am

Hi

I have checked. The Rumney Models bogies seem to represent later types post around 1922 I think. I am still awaiting a reply to a query to Rumney models.They will be suitable for bow-ended stock but I would still need to get 9' WB GWR frames for the "american" bogies. The LMS ones appear to be unsuitable. It seems inevitable that I will have to stick with rigid frame bogies which many people seem to find satisfactory in any case.

Regards

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:21 pm

For 9' wheelbase GWR American bogies another option is the MJT compensation units, with MJT cosmetic sideframes. Not sprung, I know, but in my experience they ride pretty well.

Ideally fitted with the Palatine Models units available from Scalefour stores which allows one to dispense with the press-stud MJT bogie pivot.

It looks as though the MJT 9' wheelbase compensation units are temporarily out of stock, so it may depend on how much of a hurry you are in.

Ian

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Also Brassmasters Bogie Compensation Units - http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/bogie_CUs.htm
Steve Carter

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:02 pm

Wizard Models do Comet coach bogies including several 9' GWR ones. These appear to be rigid, but you can buy a springing pack (C57) to convert them if wished. However, many people find that short wheelabse bogies run perfectly well without the need for springing or compensation.

I've used the Brassmasters compensated ones mentioned by Steve Carter; not sprung as such, but simple to build and they run well.

DT

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:21 am

The Wizard/Comet springing conversion is secondary springing (between bogie & coach) - not to make a sprung bogie as such.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:29 am

MRJ 200 shows how to do this (add secondary springing only) with r-t-r bogies.

DaveB

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:56 am

You may also want to consider, from Dave Bradwell ...

Pendlenton/Mitchell design of sprung bogies, evolved to enable coaching stock to be pushed reliably around reverse
curves. Described in MRJ #64, these elegantly simple units are now available in four wheelbase versions: 10ft, 8ft 6in and 8ft. 7ft wheelbase are available and currently in stock.

Brakes and footsteps are incorporated in the design and only wheels and cosmetic sideframes are required to produce complete bogies. The 10ft bogies are designed specifically to fit the Hornby Pullman Coaches

https://traders.scalefour.org/DaveBradwell/rolling-stock/
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:22 am

No 9ft in stock, though, they're being re-introduced as a mk2. Plenty of the new 8ft 6in.

DaveB

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”