Morgan Design P19 Python Chassis

chelsea ray

Morgan Design P19 Python Chassis

Postby chelsea ray » Thu May 20, 2021 7:29 pm

Has Anyone built up the Morgan P19 Python chassis successfully?
I have just fitted 3'6" coach wheels to the chassis and the wheels interfere badly with the springing (they will not rotate or fit within the bearings). I may have done something wrong but I cannot see how. 3'1" wagon wheels fit fine.
I'm building an Open C chassis at the same time and the two look principally the same.
So I believe the design is faulty.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ray

bécasse

Re: Morgan Design P19 Python Chassis

Postby bécasse » Thu May 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Looking at a side-on photo https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_bsa&singer181.htm of a P19 Python, I would have said that the prototype used 3'-1½" disc wheels.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu May 20, 2021 9:24 pm

bécasse wrote:Looking at a side-on photo https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_bsa&singer181.htm of a P19 Python, I would have said that the prototype used 3'-1½" disc wheels.

The GA Diagram on p.86 of Russell's Coaches, Vol.2 says that the wheels are 3'7 1/2". That's a Swindon drawing of April 1914. The same photo that you link to is reproduced there.

The conundrum of how to make the suspension work remains...

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

stevemcclary

Postby stevemcclary » Thu May 20, 2021 10:55 pm

I built one a couple of years ago, and came across the same problem; the springing appears to have been designed for 3'1" wheels rather than the correct 3'7" wheels. However, with 3'1" wheels the buffer height is incorrect.

To solve the problem, I retained the fixed axle at one end, and substituted a Bill Bedford Sprung 1907 RCH W-iron at the other end, the bottom lugs were removed so the whole unit sat flat on the floor rather than more normally on the lugs. Not perfect, but it seemed better than giving up. The ride height seemed to come out correct and the result appears to run reliably.

I have built a few of the Morgan chassis kits, and this was the only one I have had a problem with. I had assumed it was my error -there are a lot of comprehensive instructions to potentially missunderstand!

Steve

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Fri May 21, 2021 10:49 am

Paul Willis wrote:The GA Diagram on p.86 of Russell's Coaches, Vol.2 says that the wheels are 3'7 1/2". That's a Swindon drawing of April 1914. The same photo that you link to is reproduced there.Paul

Paul,
Having looked at the photo it does indeed have “Mansell disc” wheels and having built a number of Morgan Design underframes I believe this may be the only one which requires coach wheels.

Dave

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:01 pm

The photo referred to above is of 580 which was actually illustrated by Diag P20, but the only difference from a P19 was that 580 was strengthened to carry circus elephants! Both P19 and P20 types had 3ft 7½ coach wheels.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”