Coach Seating

Serjt-Dave

Coach Seating

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi All. Does anyone produce decent coach seating? I'm fitting out a coach using the the Ratio seating that is supplied with the Comet kit. Not over impressed with it and was wondering if there is anything else available.

Keep Safe

Dave

Guy Rixon

Re: Coach Seating

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Slaters do some described as "MR/GWR Coach Seats for non-corridor stock". I have a Slaters' pack stored away from way back and that is possibly this product. The seat backs are much flatter than the ratio mouldings and might actually fit into 3rd-class compartments. But the profile is so basic that really you could make it yourself.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:25 pm

Was well impressed by this

viewtopic.php?p=69034#p69034

is this an avenue worth pursueing
Tim Lee

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:51 pm

Thanks Guy. I've spent the afternoon butchering the Ratio ones. First thing to do was reduce the height of them and then slim them down. If you say the Slater ones are fatter in the back cushion's they might not be any good. I'll slog away with the Ratio ones for this coach and get a pack of Slater ones to compare.

Hi Le Corbusier. Yes they do look good. I remember reading this thread when it first appeared. I think cost will kill it with me at the mo.

Keep Safe.

Dave

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:07 am

My standard practice is to make the carcasses (carcii?) from sheet balsa, then 'skin' them with printed paper downloads from that nice Mr Bedford - I like anything that is free (other t'internet sources for similar are also available). But I've just made a batch for a Slaters 6-wheel lav third using spare scraps of card stock (left-overs from building a Scalescenes retaining wall, and my supply of balsa is running low). That worked just as well, but it depends how much you want to get the profile right - balsa sands more easily, but I've left the card flat, and through carriage window 'glass' to my eye it looks just fine.
David L-T

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:17 am

Serjt-Dave wrote:Thanks Guy. I've spent the afternoon butchering the Ratio ones. First thing to do was reduce the height of them and then slim them down. If you say the Slater ones are fatter in the back cushion's they might not be any good. I'll slog away with the Ratio ones for this coach and get a pack of Slater ones to compare.

Flatter, not fatter. I.e. they actually fit and don't vignette the windows.

But if you want detailed seats, with armrests and such, then the mouldings I have are not those. And if you just want a suggestion of seating, then balsa for the seat and plane plasticard for the back does well enough.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi Guy. If I had a brain I would be dangerous. LOL. Thankfully the coach I'm building is all 3rd class. I think I've got it sorted with the Ratio ones sorted now. I chopped off the top read rest and lowered the back of the seat by about 4mm and then reattached the head rest. This alone reduced the depth of the seat and after a bit of filing and sanding they don't look too bad. Now installed there's a couple of mill from the front of the read rest to the window frame.

I'll still get some of the Slater seats as modifying the Ratio ones is very tedious. Thanks for your help.

All Best and Keep Safe

Dave

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”