Assistance with Bill Bedford 6-Wheel Coach Bogies Please

Proton

Assistance with Bill Bedford 6-Wheel Coach Bogies Please

Postby Proton » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23 am

Hello,

I have almost completed the first 6-wheel bogie kit from Bill, and this is my first excursion into CSBs, having to now used the MJT or Brassmasters CCUS. The bearing carriers folded up fine, but the steel wire slipped out a few times during assembly into the bogie frame. So my question is whether the wire should be secured to the bearing carriers (cyano, or solder?) or does operational practice show that once in place the design is robust, and the CSBs don't normally displace?

Ideas and experiences welcome.

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Assistance with Bill Bedford 6-Wheel Coach Bogies Please

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:00 am

I haven't tried the 6 wheel bogies but generally CSBs need to be able to move as the suspension moves. soldering or glueing to the bearing carriers will interfere with the action. Usually there are end stops in the frame so the wire can't come out when all assembled, sometimes the wire needs a 90 degree bend at one or both ends.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proton

Postby Proton » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:36 am

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have managed to secure the CSB longitudinally, so the carriers aren't actually sliding off in that direction. Rather, the finger tab arrangement at the top of the carrier doesn't appear to be strong enough to stop the CSB wire from disengaging. Point taken though about freedom of movement.

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:07 pm

The 3 finger bearing carriers usually clamp onto the wire pretty tight, are you sure its meant to be CSB and not 3 individual springs per side?
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proton

Postby Proton » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 pm

The instructions don't mention individual springs, and in fact are worded for a 4-wheel bogie. Perhaps I need to clamp the fingers a bit tighter.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi John

I have suffered the same problem on both the Bill Bedford 4 and 6 wheeled bogies.

I solved it by soldering the guitar wire to the prongs as per your query. It is essential to get them in the right place as otherwise the carriers bind in the hornguides. I smear a little vasoline on the later as a solder barrier and thereafter adjust the location with the carriers in situ.

Mark
Mark Tatlow

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:46 pm

On another point you need to work out how to mount a six wheeled bogie as the pivot position is below the central axle. You need a shallow bolt and thin nut.

A few pictures of one here

https://highlandmiscellany.com/2016/08/ ... way-there/
Mark Tatlow

Proton

Postby Proton » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:40 am

I did a test run of one bogie last night, sans brakes, and it rolls nicely. I made a pigs ear of the first brake assembly, fortunately just on the middle axle, and it wont be seen easily. CSB wire does have a mind of its own though!!

Thanks for the responses.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”