GWR Autocoach control gear

David Bigcheeseplant

GWR Autocoach control gear

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:03 pm

I was at Didcot last week measuring the control gear on the Autocoaches there, I was going to do a etch detail kit but ran off a 3D print to see if everything fitted although the one piece 3D print came out so fine I decided to stick with the print as it is finer than I think could be achieved with an etch, I need to draw up a similar bit for the luggage end and then will make these available for purchase. The bit are designed to fit the Bachmann autocoach but should fit the Airfix/Hornby one and kit built models too.
David

IMG_8940.jpg
Front_autogear_2020-Aug-05_11-26-01AM-000_CustomizedView30503249571_jpg.jpg
Front_autogear_2020-Aug-05_03-26-24PM-000_CustomizedView35869776020_jpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JackBlack

Re: GWR Autocoach control gear

Postby JackBlack » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:56 pm

Fantastic!

Nick Allport
CLAG

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 pm

As fitted to the Bachmann model.
IMG_8976.jpg
IMG_8974.JPG
IMG_8950.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Very useful indeed. I have the detailing kit from MJT, but this obviates some of the tricky assembly work. I could probably use two or three sets.

I clambered under one or two autrotrailers at Didcot some years ago, and was amazed at the crudity of the control mechanism. It's no wonder that crews were sometimes tempted to propel the trailer without connecting up the auto gear. Propelling two 70-foot trailers (as in the Plymouth area) gave the driver a really tricky task in getting the regulator valve on the loco to open, even when the regulator in the cab of the leading trailer was wrenched hard over!

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:04 am

Splendid work David!

I'll certainly be after a couple :thumb

Steve

David B

Postby David B » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am

I would like some to go with Blacksmith and David Geen autotrailers.

Is the arrangement the same on an autofitted loco?

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:18 pm

David B wrote:Is the arrangement the same on an autofitted loco?

The auto gear arrangement is handed, and the trailer has a handbrake standard in the driving cab, so the print of the gear underneath the driving end includes parts for that as well as the auto gear linkage. The linkage at the non-driving end has only the auto gear, but does have the hinged connection to the loco, or an intermediate trailer, as well as having the auto gear on the other side as you look at the end of the carriage [i.e. the auto gear does not change sides under the carriage]. The loco has just the auto gear at either end, identical at both ends [the rod swaps sides under the loco].
Regards
Noel

David B

Postby David B » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks, Noel. So what David has done will serve the driving end but not the other end or the loco?

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:29 pm

David B wrote:So what David has done will serve the driving end but not the other end or the loco?

David has indicated in his original post that he intends to do a similar bit for the other end. Depending on what he does and how, it may be possible to modify that for the loco, or maybe he will do the necessary for the loco as well if we are lucky, but that is something you would need to ask him. I have to admit an interest as I hope, sometime :D, to do an auto-fitted 45XX plus both a driving and a non-driving trailer [no handbrake for the latter, of course].
Regards
Noel

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:26 pm

IMG_9004.jpg
I plan to to the non driving end gear as well for the coach as this is different, plus the loco ones too, the steam railmotor at Didcot has a slightly different design. I am doing these at £7.50 for the driving end I need to do the other end and also the loco versions. Here is the 7mm version which has just been scaled up The print failed on one of the linkages but I can sort that.
IMG_9004.jpg

David B

Postby David B » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:33 pm

Again, Noel, thank you. I am unfamiliar with the apparatus and have mis-understood (and mis-read). Apologies.

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm

David B wrote:I am unfamiliar with the apparatus and have mis-understood (and mis-read). Apologies.

No problem. It took me some time to get my head round it all. The other three of the grouped railways used air pressure or vacuum controls, much easier to model, but nothing so easy for us from the GWR!
Regards
Noel

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:16 pm

In case anyone is not familiar with what the inside controls in the coach driving cab look like here are a couple of shots of the autocoach on the Dean Forest railway taken a few years ago. (I doubt the fire extinguisher is original!)

AutotrainControls.1A.jpg

AutotrainControls.2A.jpg

One of these days it will be my intention to detail my autocoaches (I have an original Airfix, a Bachmann Maroon and a Bachmann Blood and Custard) so may well be in the market for a couple of sets of Dave's fittings. BTW, is it easy enough to change the wheels on the Bachmann coaches? The OO ones fitted look a bit 'complicated' with the electric pickups etc. (or they are at least what I think they are!) so do P4 wheels just 'pop-in'?

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:50 am

Hi Dave,

When you have it all sorted I would be interested in several sets for both trailers and locos.

Thanks

Phil.

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:02 pm

mm versions These are the latest prints 4mm & 7mm which I am now happy with I have added the spring tensioner and the regulator rod too and I think this is as far as I will go on extra details.

For those who are interested can you please send me an email bigcheeseplant@googlemail.com

As for the Bachmann model you can replace the OO wheels with P4 by taking out the brass lighting pickups and popping the wheels directly in the frames although you need to remove the brake blocks, I will probably do replacement brake blocks as at some point.

IMG_9047.jpg
IMG_9048.jpg

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:42 pm

David,

You are to be congratulated, this seems so easy compared to using a Dart Castings kit and the article from MRJ When I modify an Airfix auto coach.

Dave

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:32 am

IMG_9124.jpg

I now have auto bits ready for dispatch price is £7.50 for the driving end and £6.50 as in the pic for the trailing end plus £1.50 P&P

Please email me direct on bigcheeseplant@googlemail.com if interested

David

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”