Dapol Stove R

RAO

Dapol Stove R

Postby RAO » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:48 am

Has anyone converted a Dapol Stove R to P4?

Whilst the body looks good, the roof and the underframe leaves a lot to be desired!

To make the model work Dapol installed smaller diameter wheels, so it's very neigh impossible to install the correct size wheels without a lot of cutting and carving.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Philip Hall

Re: Dapol Stove R

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:37 pm

I have two to do but will use a Brassmasters Cleminson underframe, along with axleboxes, J hangers and springs from Wizard/51L. A representation of the brakes are on the underframe etching, but could be beefed up a bit if the need was felt.

The mouldings on the underframe are quite nice, but in a slightly oily plastic which might not be amenable to modification. I recently produced some 13mm diameter wheels for one of these in 00; the owner wanted to retain the Dapol underframe, with some refinement, but the little wheels looked ridiculous as did the height of the vehicle when proper 14mm+ wheels were put in. He asked if I could turn down some old Jackson coach wheels a bit to see if they would look better and not affect the ride height too much. The wheels worked and a lot of work (in 00 of course) was saved.

It might be a possible fix in P4, but I think the 13mm wheels worked because I left the flanges quite deep so the wheels looked bigger than they really were. We don’t usually have that option.

Philip

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:34 pm

My usual way of tackling such is to turn the axle holes into 2mm wide slots and fit springing. You'd also need to file the axleguard inside faces to give a min width of 23.5. Might such an approach be possible in this case? More details if promising. Mark Tatlow mounts his centre wheels on a tube to get the side movement.

DaveB

Noel

Re: Dapol Stove B

Postby Noel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:29 pm

I've been rather confused by this thread, since a Stove B is an ex-SR bogie n/c brake, and Dapol only do a Stove R. Cleminson underframe is appropriate for the latter, so can someone change the thread title, please, or anyone trying to find it later will also be rather confused.
Regards
Noel

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Noel wrote:I've been rather confused by this thread, since a Stove B is an ex-SR bogie n/c brake, and Dapol only do a Stove R. Cleminson underframe is appropriate for the latter, so can someone change the thread title, please, or anyone trying to find it later will also be rather confused.

Of course, you could have changed the title of your own post ;-)

I was rather confused by the title (not knowing of such modern things as this) so was waiting for someone to comment one way or the other.

Now done, assuming it really _is_ the R not B which is being talked about.

Cheers
Paul Willis
(member of the moderation team)
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”