G.N.R. 32ft Luggage Brake

hollybeau

G.N.R. 32ft Luggage Brake

Postby hollybeau » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:47 pm

I wonder if there is someone out there who can help me this problem.
I am nearing completion of a D and S Models kit of the GNR 32ft Luggage Brake (their kit reference DS 266). I have it (spray) painted in what I consider is a reasonable approximation of the teak livery and have come to the lettering. The kit instructions rather unhelpfully say, "apply the appropriate insignia". However, the only drawing is of the LNER variant. I have therefore no idea what the lettering would be in GNR livery and equally important, where it would be located. I have tried a Google image search but with no joy.
My assumption is that somewhere along the waist panels would be the letters G.N.R. and then "Luggage" and "Brake". The kit instructions say that sample running numbers in the LNER period were 4077,4079 and 4097 but I don't know if these were also GNR numbers or where the numbers would have been placed.Can anyone help with this?

Assuming this can be answered my second question/plea for help concerns the availability of suitable transfers (sorry but I hate the term decals). Does anyone make these?

Thank you in anticipation and Happy New Year to you all.

Bryan

CornCrake

Re: G.N.R. 32ft Luggage Brake

Postby CornCrake » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:12 pm

I believe that H.M.R.S. can supply suitable transfers see https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers/gnr-ecjs-coach-insignia-special-vehicles-need-1-sheet-per-vehicle-side-150473.html

Steve

oops just spotted that they are currently only available in 7mm only, sorry

Might be worth contacting them (HMRS) to see if they are being re-stocked.

Also search their online system for drawings/pictures off your vehicle

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:37 pm

May be worth asking HMRS whether they only offer 7mm GNR transfers. Applying a '4mm' scale filter didn't exclude the GNR/ECJS coach insignia sheet from the list, and, whilst the details page gives the price as £21.00 per sheet (!), the list of available sheets says 'Price from £8.20' for this item. Given the conficting information on the HMRS web pages, an enquiry may reveal that they can provide what you need.

I couldn't find anything on the web dealing specifically with these particular vans, but a photograph of a bogie luggage van showing what looks like pre-Gresley era livery can be found on Steve Banks' site at https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/287-ex-gnr-howlden-bogie-van and may assist, as may Plate 21 in Michael Harris' work on GNR and ECJS Carriages from 1905 (pub. Oakwood Press), if you have access to a copy.

Perhaps your best bet would be to put an enquiry to the Great Northern Railway Society, failing which a plea for help on the LNER forum could glean a helpful response.

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:21 pm

Google Steam and thing's, they have a transfer section. They do GNR coach transfers of two types, Pre 1906 and Post 1906 and in lots of different gauges.
They are based in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Alan.

Bill Newstead

Postby Bill Newstead » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 am

Mike Trice has posted some pictures of his GNR Dia 303 Full Brake which might help to answer your question about lettering:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... es/page/6/

HTH
Bill

hollybeau

Postby hollybeau » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:44 pm

My (belated) thanks to all who have answered my questions. The photos of Mike Trice's coaches are particularly helpful. The transfers from Steam and Things appear to be available in 4mm scale but the price I have been quoted- at over £50 - is a little eye-watering. I don't doubt that they are worth that in terms of the time and costs incurred in producing what I assume to be one-offs but it is high relative to the cost of the kit. I am still pondering that one.
Bryan

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 pm

I could sell you a more expensive kit so that the price of the transfers looks more reasonable :?

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:50 pm

hollybeau wrote:My (belated) thanks to all who have answered my questions. The photos of Mike Trice's coaches are particularly helpful. The transfers from Steam and Things appear to be available in 4mm scale but the price I have been quoted- at over £50 - is a little eye-watering. I don't doubt that they are worth that in terms of the time and costs incurred in producing what I assume to be one-offs but it is high relative to the cost of the kit. I am still pondering that one.
Bryan

My god, their prices have gone up quite a bit, I bought two A4 sheets of bespoke 4mm transfers for around half that price about 5 or 6 years ago.

Phil.

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”